Cultivated Reef

Jus Anglin' (CC pico contest thread)

Harrisonbored

Harrisonbored
33 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I'll ask the wife tonight.  I have a new setup and I'm trying to stock it with corals.  Currently only have...4 corals in a 45G.  

The fish you're using was about $45 I think I found online (came in a couple different sizes. 

The light and fixture would be about $50-60

Air pump would be $10.

Corals could get kinda pricey.  

I'll definitely think about it. I also thought it'd be cool to make a tank out of a basketball or football cut in half, but my wife thought that was dumb.  I still think it's a great idea. I do want to participate, but I want to keep the tank more than 3-6 months too. 

Ahh yes...the multi tank syndrome...I'm all too familiar.  It's a fine line to walk when the wife/husband/parent/significant other and/or tax man is involved.

$45 you say?...Well I completely scored then at $5

Lots of people (including TOTM winners) are going the cookie jar route. Another great option to start with.

and yes...the long term viability of my fish is a big concern for me at the moment.  I'm battling myself over what I REALLY want to stock it with and what I probably should stock it with.

We'll see how that battle turns out over the next couple weeks.

Thanks for coming along for the ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Harrisonbored said:

Dude!  You could put an empty hermit crab shell in a pie plate and still win this thing with just the quality of your posts!

Totally dig your current tank thread and avatar.  The Tanaka I had years back is still my fav fish by far

Empty pie plate and a crab shell, you say... not a bad idea... Maybe we add some empty cans of Bud Heavy? Possibly a possum in a sack? Basically, we're a "one-eye dog" and some "kinfolk" away from a Louisiana Saturday Night.

In all seriousness, though, I would add a live crawfish near the end so not to 'run-a-foul' with the Man/rules. I would also name the crawfish 'Boudreaux,' and he would eat nothing but pork cracklin's and gumbo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Harrisonbored
1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

Empty pie plate and a crab shell, you say... not a bad idea... Maybe we add some empty cans of Bud Heavy? Possibly a possum in a sack? Basically, we're a "one-eye dog" and some "kinfolk" away from a Louisiana Saturday Night.

In all seriousness, though, I would add a live crawfish near the end so not to 'run-a-foul' with the Man. I would also name the crawfish 'Boudreaux,' and he would eat nothing but pork cracklin's and gumbo. 

From the immortal words of one of America's national treasures...

"Man...I don't know what the F*** you just said, Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart."

-Pumpkin Escobar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Harrisonbored said:

So...there's a little bit of this happening right now with my pico...

...updates coming shortly

The crying right?

• Haha 1
Harrisonbored

10 hours ago, Horsey_Cat said:

The crying right?

Yep. 

Just read the specific gravity of tears is around 1.01... So maybe all the waterworks will save me on having to buy more salt.

so there's that.

• Like 2
Harrisonbored

The AZOO 180 is working to perfection!  It sticks nicely on the slanted mouth and blasts up at the water surface then flowing back down the rounded sides of the fish creating great flow throughout.

azoo.jpg.b3fccc5d331cf7b6b929381ffcd39f6b.jpg

59ded0b3f08fd_surfacetension.jpg.5f28e138414783b948d55fcd15d32761.jpg

I'm using an old Hummus container to hold my sand inside the fish so that I can pull it out and rinse it regularly.

The shape of the fish makes cleaning a special chore.

hummus.jpg.c11b256ef2fb6ca26eedeea65c26c262.jpg

and to battle EVAP I came up with the idea of using cut up disposable/plastic bowls.

makins.jpg.e3d95827b19790a3b2893d7eecbd626c.jpg59ded1cfef40e_frontteeth.jpg.6b1a11aca830503178b6f753cd8a71e8.jpg

59ded1d9e38f8_sideteeth.jpg.bb1447d64149b5fc6c8952f96d42897d.jpg

These teeth are  just a prototype that I quickly built with what I had on hand...I'll make a cleaner version with both black and white bowls when I can get to the store next weekend.

Seeing the light fixture pole through the fish is killing me...I have a few ideas on how to remedy this and will be working on that next weekend too.

If nothing works as planned I'll probably just paint the side black (maybe with some white cartoonish ribs?)

Either way It definitely needs to be darker to aid the photography I'm thinking.  And so if I need to paint that's why there's no sand & rock yet (they're currently in a friends sump)

The plan is to have corals in it by the 31st!!

makins.jpg

surface tension.jpg

• Like 9
  • Wow 2
cfaye@Delaware

The light looks like it is on a fish hook.........

2 hours ago, Harrisonbored said:

The AZOO 180 is working to perfection!  It sticks nicely on the slanted mouth and blasts up at the water surface then flowing back down the rounded sides of the fish creating great flow throughout.

azoo.jpg.b3fccc5d331cf7b6b929381ffcd39f6b.jpg

59ded0b3f08fd_surfacetension.jpg.5f28e138414783b948d55fcd15d32761.jpg

I'm using an old Hummus container to hold my sand inside the fish so that I can pull it out and rinse it regularly.

The shape of the fish makes cleaning a special chore.

hummus.jpg.c11b256ef2fb6ca26eedeea65c26c262.jpg

and to battle EVAP I came up with the idea of using cut up disposable/plastic bowls.

makins.jpg.e3d95827b19790a3b2893d7eecbd626c.jpg59ded1cfef40e_frontteeth.jpg.6b1a11aca830503178b6f753cd8a71e8.jpg

59ded1d9e38f8_sideteeth.jpg.bb1447d64149b5fc6c8952f96d42897d.jpg

These teeth are  just a prototype that I quickly built with what I had on hand...I'll make a cleaner version with both black and white bowls when I can get to the store next weekend.

Seeing the light fixture pole through the fish is killing me...I have a few ideas on how to remedy this and will be working on that next weekend too.

If nothing works as planned I'll probably just paint the side black (maybe with some white cartoonish ribs?)

Either way It definitely needs to be darker to aid the photography I'm thinking.  And so if I need to paint that's why there's no sand & rock yet (they're currently in a friends sump)

The plan is to have corals in it by the 31st!!

makins.jpg

surface tension.jpg

• Like 1
On 04/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, Harrisonbored said:

So far that's the plan.  The flex lights I have on hand don't seem to wanna hold the weight of the par bulb in the right (cool looking) position though.

So looks like I'll be on the lookout for either a lighter par fixture or a more sturdy lamp...or I could just build a lamp fixture...not sure what I'm going to do yet.

You can strengthen the gooseneck using a wire hanger. I zip tied wire hanger to my gooseneck and it now supports my par38.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:38 PM, Harrisonbored said:

I just got lucky with the timing of it all, but thank you!...I'll do my best.

Dawn said she found the same fish. Maybe she'll tell you where. 

On 10/5/2017 at 2:44 PM, TatorTaco said:

I think I found the one Dawn found.  My lips are sealed - I love this, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to copy you AFTER the contest so I can have a neat pico tank.   

I am glad that you found the glass fish TatorTaco because I looked at so many sites and I could not remember where I saw it.  I like the idea of team Pisces!

• Like 1
Harrisonbored
18 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You can strengthen the gooseneck using a wire hanger. I zip tied wire hanger to my gooseneck and it now supports my par38.

Thanks...that's a great idea!     I'll give that a shot in the event I need to use my Par.

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh my God love it ^^^

1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

This is so awesomely nerdy. I love it. Everything about it.

Thanks everyone!

6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

fybPWst.png

Are you my conscience?

I feel happy...which is a big deal...for me

• Like 1
  • Haha 1