Cultivated Reef

1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

I find that with the pico, since everything is so up close, I appreciate all the small critters more! This contest has made me feel like a noob again, in a good way! :) Makes this hobby even more exciting!

I am with you on that!  It is exciting to do reefing in a new way and I am spending a lot of time studying what is going on in my jar too.

Last night I fed whole mysis to the rose coral, the acans and the blastos.  Today before the lights are on I fed a generous amount of microvert.  Late this afternoon or this evening I will do the 100% WC.

Originally I had planned to lower the bulb closer to the jar and increase the photophase but most of the coral are doing so well I hate to change anything.  With them being fed so well they should not need to rely on light as much and I am very pleased to not be dealing with any algae problems yet.  So I think I will continue as I have been.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Orangutran said:

I find that with the pico, since everything is so up close, I appreciate all the small critters more! This contest has made me feel like a noob again, in a good way! :) Makes this hobby even more exciting!

This statement made my day. Love it.

• Like 4
20171117_134857

Are you guys getting sick of seeing basically the same FTS of my jar?  Sorry, I am not quite sure what to do different.  One thing that amazes me is that I have never cleaned the glass.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Orangutran said:

I was JUST going to suggest a top down view (my new favourite) but you beat me to it. :)

Looks great BTW! Damn bubbles, turn off the pump next time. ;) 

Ha ha, I did turn them down a lot.  Normally I have them at a rolling boil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Last night I stopped at a friend's house that has a large reef that I have given frags to in the past.  He gave me back heads of frogspawn and hammer that I had given him.  He also gave me a piece of a monty and an encrusting something, ha ha!  They are currently in the sump of the seahorse tank until I have time to put them in the jar.  With their additions my jar is going to be close to capacity.

• Like 7

20171119_142318

A new FTS with the new frogspawn, hammer, the encrusting 'something' and a monti that you can not see from this view.  I am excited because I still have room for another acan and a sun coral.

• Like 7

Looks great!  I'm really liking how full your jar is.  And thanks for the feeding pics.

I really need to embrace larger feedings (prior to water changes).  I know it's the right thing, but it feels like such a strange thing to do.  I think I'll have to buy more food. :)

• Like 1

Everything is doing well except the Idaho grape and an orange monti.  Both have dying places and time will tell if they heal or completely die.

My purple photosynthetic sponge attached to the coco worm tube but had a large portion that was not attached.  Last night I put some super glue gel on the coco worm tube when I did the WC and and now it is attached also.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Orangutran said:

Btw really loving how yours is filling up! So this is what a reef jar should look like! :)

I hope I have left enough room for the coral to grow, ha ha! Nah, if you want to know what a reef jar is supposed to look like you need to go to a multitude of others before mine.  But I do thank you for the encouraging words!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Felicia said:

The jar is looking wonderful!  All the corals look so happy and the water is so clear.  I love the addition of the euphyllias.

Thanks Felicia.  The gentleman who gave me the frogspawn and hammer got those from me when I had my 90 gallon so I think they have come back to me which is cool. ?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

Thanks kimberbee!  Ah wow, that has got to be frustrating to still be waiting on a light.  Any idea when to expect its arrival?

I did get the bulb... but I underestimated its weight on my clamp light... :unsure:

• Like 1