Lula_Mae

Lula Mae's Sooper Sekret, just for fun, experimental GSP garden

Lula_Mae   

Some of you know I've made reference to a project I've been pulling together and jokingly referred to it as my "sooper sekret project," even though it was only secret because I hadn't gotten around to doing the writeup!  The idea for this came from an offhand comment I made on Seafurn's 100 Days of Nanos contest tank thread. 

It received so many likes that I started to think, hey, maybe I should really do this! and I started to think about how to make it happen.  Once I moved into the apartment and had a little space to work with, I started pulling pieces together.  I'd had some rock cycling in an old tank for a while so I pulled out some pieces and put them in a little tank I got after seeing another member pick it up--I loved the shape and have been thinking about a larger tank that is round and wanted to make sure I like the shape before I pull the trigger on it as it's kinda :bling:

For this tank, I want to experiment with focusing on one type of oft-overlooked coral that many consider a pest.  I am hoping to showcase some of the variety of GSP that is out there--colors, textures, shapes, etc.  I don't expect to keep it up for years and years but it will be a nice little tank to play around with while I gather stuff for a larger build. 

Equipment:

3 gallon half-moon Elive tank from Petsmart

Tetra heater 50w

7w Reef Radiance bulb (the purple one from my other tank lol--it will likely be upgraded to the one on my 5.5 once I get a replacement for that).

Tahitian moon sand

black airline with Tetra Whisper air pump for circulation

I'm going to try with just airline, treating it like a reef vase or bowl, and see how it does; if it's not enough I'll add a HOB or powerhead.

Current livestock:

red photosynthetic plating sponge

Grube's gorgonian

Hicksomella sp. purple gorgonian

yellow dwarf feather duster

scarlet hermit crab shell (I am pretty sure Live Aquaria sent me an empty shell...)

I have some stuff arriving today from @Weetabix7 and @schgr.cube that will be going in here as well!

Future livestock plans:

GSP (duh)

gorgonian species

macroalgaes

leathers

more feather dusters

a live scarlet hermit...

porcelain crab

sexy shrimp (intend to avoid corals in here that they will munch on)

bimaculatus blenny

Here's a shot of the gorgs and sponge (don't mind the ugly AquaClear sponge, it's in here till the blenny comes and will be used for filtration in the quarantine lol):

IMG_20170816_213022252_HDR

And the feather duster while acclimating:

IMG_20170816_143419564

I thought I had a FTS but I dunno what happened to it. :huh: I'll take another once stuff is in later.

So there you have it!  My sooper sekret project is secret no more! :lol:

• Like 16

Lula_Mae   

Also, I had a scape I loved and then decided to add sand and of course couldn't get it back how I wanted it.  Ah, well lol.

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Some of you know I've made reference to a project I've been pulling together and jokingly referred to it as my "sooper sekret project," even though it was only secret because I hadn't gotten around to doing the writeup!  The idea for this came from an offhand comment I made on Seafurn's 100 Days of Nanos contest tank thread. 

It received so many likes that I started to think, hey, maybe I should really do this! and I started to think about how to make it happen.  Once I moved into the apartment and had a little space to work with, I started pulling pieces together.  I'd had some rock cycling in an old tank for a while so I pulled out some pieces and put them in a little tank I got after seeing another member pick it up--I loved the shape and have been thinking about a larger tank that is round and wanted to make sure I like the shape before I pull the trigger on it as it's kinda :bling:

For this tank, I want to experiment with focusing on one type of oft-overlooked coral that many consider a pest.  I am hoping to showcase some of the variety of GSP that is out there--colors, textures, shapes, etc.  I don't expect to keep it up for years and years but it will be a nice little tank to play around with while I gather stuff for a larger build. 

Equipment:

3 gallon half-moon Elive tank from Petsmart

Tetra heater 50w

7w Reef Radiance bulb (the purple one from my other tank lol--it will likely be upgraded to the one on my 5.5 once I get a replacement for that).

Tahitian moon sand

black airline with Tetra Whisper air pump for circulation

I'm going to try with just airline, treating it like a reef vase or bowl, and see how it does; if it's not enough I'll add a HOB or powerhead.

Current livestock:

red photosynthetic plating sponge

Grube's gorgonian

Hicksomella sp. purple gorgonian

yellow dwarf feather duster

scarlet hermit crab shell (I am pretty sure Live Aquaria sent me an empty shell...)

I have some stuff arriving today from @Weetabix7 and @schgr.cube that will be going in here as well!

Future livestock plans:

GSP (duh)

gorgonian species

macroalgaes

leathers

more feather dusters

a live scarlet hermit...

porcelain crab

sexy shrimp (intend to avoid corals in here that they will munch on)

bimaculatus blenny

Here's a shot of the gorgs and sponge (don't mind the ugly AquaClear sponge, it's in here till the blenny comes and will be used for filtration in the quarantine lol):

IMG_20170816_213022252_HDR

And the feather duster while acclimating:

IMG_20170816_143419564

I thought I had a FTS but I dunno what happened to it. :huh: I'll take another once stuff is in later.

So there you have it!  My sooper sekret project is secret no more! :lol:

This is cool, can't wait to see more!!!

Also, your pkg is "out for delivery". B)

Lula_Mae   
10 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

This is cool, can't wait to see more!!!

Also, your pkg is "out for delivery". B)

It just arrived!

• Like 2

Just now, Lula_Mae said:

It just arrived!

omgomgomg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

samnaz   

Can I give you my GSP for free? I have two frags, big ones. They are from Legendary which called them "Teal GSP" but they are brown, in my tank anyway. 

• Like 1

Lula_Mae   
2 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Can I give you my GSP for free? I have two frags, big ones. They are from Legendary which called them "Teal GSP" but they are brown, in my tank anyway. 

:lol: Sure, if you want!  Shoot me a PM.

gena   

Here's the secret :happydance:

That's a neat looking tank...semi-circle?

This will be a fun little project!!!

Lula_Mae   
11 minutes ago, gena said:

Here's the secret :happydance:

That's a neat looking tank...semi-circle?

This will be a fun little project!!!

Yes, it's a half-moon!  Flat back, semi circle front.  Very cool shape and I wanted to try it out.  It makes everything look huge lol.

• Like 2

gena   
50 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yes, it's a half-moon!  Flat back, semi circle front.  Very cool shape and I wanted to try it out.  It makes everything look huge lol.

Hahaha...and if you get fish, imagine how you'll look to them!!!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lula_Mae   
37 minutes ago, gena said:

Hahaha...and if you get fish, imagine how you'll look to them!!!! :lol:

Haha probably so distorted, like a fun house mirror!

• Like 1

Yay! The sekret is out! Hahaha now I won't die in suspense. I Looooove it!:wub:

• Like 1

jstj0sh   

Aww yes, I love GSP! This is going to be great :D

• Like 2

This sounds like it should turn out super cool, followed :)

• Like 1

Yay!   New tank!! :happydance:

• Like 1

Yay, I'm in the sooper secret club! 

• Like 1

SeaFurn   

You know I'll be following! 

• Like 1

This'll be interesting. I like a good GSP. Following.

PS Archetype has "branching" gsp. I got one but it hasn't been in my tank long enough for me to say what it will look like long term.

• Like 1

Lula_Mae   
5 hours ago, TinyOcean said:

Yay! The sekret is out! Hahaha now I won't die in suspense. I Looooove it!:wub:

Haha yes, no dying please!

4 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

Aww yes, I love GSP! This is going to be great :D

Me too, it's so pretty!  I'm looking forward to this!

4 hours ago, jesseatam said:

This sounds like it should turn out super cool, followed :)

Thanks for the follow, and welcome to the sooper sekret club! :lol:

4 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yay!   New tank!! :happydance:

Yay!

4 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yay, I'm in the sooper secret club! 

Haha welcome!

3 hours ago, haleschristine said:

Following! This sounds like an awesome idea!

Thanks, I hope it turns out like I want!

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

You know I'll be following! 

Yes indeed, gotta see your stuff as part of the tank!

2 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

59963a7c7710c_original(2).gif.8627d4c1d0d8ed5a3b27889f98e76bee.gif

I f***ng love GSP!  :haha:

:lol:

2 hours ago, Thunder Goose said:

This'll be interesting. I like a good GSP. Following.

PS Archetype has "branching" gsp. I got one but it hasn't been in my tank long enough for me to say what it will look like long term.

I actually have a WTB out for branching GSP and PSP (need to update that I'm good on the regular stuff lol).  FlowerMama has some in her tank too.  Where'd you get yours from?

• Like 2

Following! :)  

• Like 1

Got my branching GSP from https://www.archetypeaquariums.com/. It's listed under "new arrivals,"  their website hasn't been updated regularly (the owner emailed me and apologized - some sort of crisis [storm damage, I think] caused major damage to the facility but I was still able to get this one and it looked really nice!). Mine's not big enough to frag yet or I'd be happy to share.

I had some PSP - the purple only shows up when the polyps are closed. Otherwise it's tan. Yawn. It may look ok if you have it mixed with other GSPs.

• Like 3

Yep I'm here. Glad you chose a 3g, you will give me some excellent ideas and help along the way.....will be following. 

• Like 1