Cultivated Reef

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

39 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

i’ve not seen the pompom crab since i posted about him. i think maybe the basslet ate him? he would be the only threat. oh well. 

i've spent the evening with my hand and scissors in the tank cutting digitate hydroids. i also discovered there is a SPONGE in the powerhead that was so thick with shit it was blocked. that’s why i’m having nutrient issues feeding undesirables. it’s gone. 

new marine current orbit light came in that has four different colors. nice. 

photos. 

anyone have any idea why the cyphastrea never opens?

stylo ii

stylo

robokaki

digitate hydroid

cyphastrea

My cyphastrea is a moody bitch.  Try moving it around if it doesn't open. Mine likes more flow than I thought it would.  

If it makes you feel better, I go for weeks not seeing my pom pom and my tank's a third the size of yours lol.  Some of them are extremely reclusive and hardly ever come out.  So don't give up on him!

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu
14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

My cyphastrea is a moody bitch.  Try moving it around if it doesn't open. Mine likes more flow than I thought it would.  

well, it was happy where i’d placed it - i thought - so i super glued it down. 

12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

If it makes you feel better, I go for weeks not seeing my pom pom and my tank's a third the size of yours lol.  Some of them are extremely reclusive and hardly ever come out.  So don't give up on him!

i'm glad to hear this. i was instantly attached to the little shit and i love him. 

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

@WV Reefer @Lula_Mae @seabass @Clown79 @fishfreak0114

Can ya’ll help? 

I'm having trouble with my stylo. It blooms and gets happy. Health wise, things are okay. But I can’t find a safe place for it. It’s encrusted on the plug it came on so I can’t take it off. I've filed the bottom of the plug flat but there is no place to secure it as it likes the bottom of the tank. I can’t glue it to the bottom! It gets knocked over every night and right now Mortimer has taken refuge under it. So for the time being it’s gonna have to lay there because I'm not getting stung. When I try to wedge it somewhere it lasts for about three days before something knocks it over, plus it doesn’t get the flow it needs in the wedge places. 

Thoughts? 

5 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

@WV Reefer @Lula_Mae @seabass @Clown79 @fishfreak0114

Can ya’ll help? 

I'm having trouble with my stylo. It blooms and gets happy. Health wise, things are okay. But I can’t find a safe place for it. It’s encrusted on the plug it came on so I can’t take it off. I've filed the bottom of the plug flat but there is no place to secure it as it likes the bottom of the tank. I can’t glue it to the bottom! It gets knocked over every night and right now Mortimer has taken refuge under it. So for the time being it’s gonna have to lay there because I'm not getting stung. When I try to wedge it somewhere it lasts for about three days before something knocks it over, plus it doesn’t get the flow it needs in the wedge places. 

Thoughts? 

I have some gorgs that were on awkward plugs and kept falling over because of their weight.  I attached the plug to a bigger tile so they would have a heavy flat base that is harder to knock over.    ....snails or hermits still tip them occasionally but it's harder now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually purchased a couple of masonry drill bits that allow me to drill holes in rock that match common frag plugs.  For a lone coral frag on a plug, that you basically want on the sand bed, you can: use a small rock, drill it, and glue/epoxy the plug into the new hole.  If needed, you can usually make a trip to the LFS and pick out a small piece of dry rock, or even a small piece of live rock.  Remember, that you can break up rock for the size and shape you need.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
fishfreak0114

I would attach it to a rock like Seabass said.  I've never drilled rock before, usually I just use a bunch of epoxy to make sure it'll stick.

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

you guys ROCK! get it? LOL. 

i need to get some new rock. i don’t have a lot of room so i have to be selective. 

@Lula_Mae i found the pompom right after i posted. bless it, he ain’t got no pompoms. i feel so bad for him. his name came to me: aloicious. 

aloicious

rbta

conjugal visit

mortimer

the two rbtas seem to be in stasis. no improvement no decline. 

sun polyp's been dead. 

that purple macroalgae is growing and getting HUGE. soon i’ll have to start throwing it away. anybody want some? 

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

i need to get some new rock. i don’t have a lot of room so i have to be selective. 

@Lula_Mae i found the pompom right after i posted. bless it, he ain’t got no pompoms. i feel so bad for him. his name came to me: aloicious. 

aloicious

rbta

conjugal visit

mortimer

sun polyp's been dead. 

that purple macroalgae is growing and getting HUGE. soon i’ll have to start throwing it away. anybody want some? 

I want some!!!!

thespinningsadhu
15 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I want some!!!!

tell me how to best send it and you can have some. 

ya’ll. talk about camouflage. 

camouflage

camo ii

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

aloicious

rbta

conjugal visit

mortimer

sun polyp's been dead. 

Yay!  Sadly losing poms can happen pretty quickly in captivity.  Sometimes they'll pinch shrooms of different types for substitute nems.  Had one once that pinched a powder blue ric and since he spent all his time hiding, it shriveled and turned ghostly white lol.  I would take a frag of the purple macro too sometime. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

aloicious

rbta

conjugal visit

mortimer

sun polyp's been dead. 

i want some. my tank needs color

• Like 1
9 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

tell me how to best send it and you can have some. 

ya’ll. talk about camouflage. 

camouflage

camo ii

Oooh, that's cool!!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
thespinningsadhu
On 10/16/2017 at 11:03 PM, seabass said:

Everything going OK?  Just checking in.

Hey ya’ll. Things are so busy and hectic that i just crash after coming home. 

I haven’t been neglecting my tank - at least I thought I hadn’t. Daily top offs, changing filter fluff twice a week, four gallon water change weekly. Well, my tank was looking a little green even after a water change three days ago so I decide to do another one. I like to test my refractometer against three different sources when I change water. 

MY TANK'S SALINITY WAS 1.038!!!! HOW????

So, I did a water change and have brought the salinity to 1.028 - I figured I better not jump all the way down, though i may have already jumped too far. 

Here’s the thing. -  everything in my tank is alive. And well. Except for the cyphastrea. The stylophora is on its way out. Maybe I can salvage it. Three heads of my ricordea have melted. One is alive and well. Oh, and the porcelain crab bit the dust. So i guess not everything is alive and well. 

Ya’ll. Send good thoughts to Mortimer and Conjugal Visit. I’m very attached. I just can’t imagine what happened. 

I got rid of the protein skimmer. It just never worked like it should have. It skimmed when it worked but only worked for a little and there were bubbles and overflows and other stuff. 

• Sad 3
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Hey ya’ll. Things are so busy and hectic that i just crash after coming home. 

I haven’t been neglecting my tank - at least I thought I hadn’t. Daily top offs, changing filter fluff twice a week, four gallon water change weekly. Well, my tank was looking a little green even after a water change three days ago so I decide to do another one. I like to test my hydrometer against three different sources when I change water. 

MY TANK'S SALINITY WAS 1.038!!!! HOW????

So, I did a water change and have brought the salinity to 1.028 - I figured I better not jump all the way down, though i may have already jumped too far. 

Here’s the thing. -  everything in my tank is alive. And well. Except for the cyphastrea. The stylophora is on its way out. Maybe I can salvage it. Three heads of my ricordea have melted. One is alive and well. Oh, and the porcelain crab bit the dust. So i guess not everything is alive and well. 

Ya’ll. Send good thoughts to Mortimer and Conjugal Visit. I’m very attached. I just can’t imagine what happened. 

I got rid of the protein skimmer. It just never worked like it should have. It skimmed when it worked but only worked for a little and there were bubbles and overflows and other stuff. 

post some damn pics already!!!

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
5 minutes ago, Lugmos12 said:

post some damn pics already!!!

of what??? i just changed the water so every thing is a bit unsettled. and the lights are already on the moon thing. 

• Like 1

When the salinity changes so do your other parameters.  Sounds like a wild ride for your corals.  Sorry to hear that you lost some.

As far as your fish are concerned, a sudden drop in specific gravity is fairly easy on them (sudden increases are quite hard on them).  It might take awhile for everything to settle down.

Try to figure out how it got so out of whack.  It takes a lot to throw it off so much.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
18 hours ago, seabass said:

When the salinity changes so do your other parameters.  Sounds like a wild ride for your corals.  Sorry to hear that you lost some.

As far as your fish are concerned, a sudden drop in specific gravity is fairly easy on them (sudden increases are quite hard on them).  It might take awhile for everything to settle down.

Try to figure out how it got so out of whack.  It takes a lot to throw it off so much.

The only thing it could possibly be was the refractometer. I would think. But I calibrate it against two water sources each water change. Since I went topless I have hella evaporation but I top off to the same level as it was the last water change. I don't know. Oh well.