Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

Elysian Gills...

:D

Nice name for a tank, right? (Don't answer that!)

So, I just did the initial "setup" on this 2.5 tank. I got some of the man-made live rock as I don't want worms or aptasia or other crap I don't grow myself. Woot! 

The light is pretty awesome. I like my rock placement. Live sand is good. Put a whole bottle of Bio-Spira in there (bottle said do the whole thing up to thirty gallons). 

I have ceramic rings and a ChemiPure sachet in the back hidden part. I got a spinner thing on the output. 

Now..here's what sucks... the poor little "powerhead" is severely not enough. I thought maybe it would be because I have the exact same tank set up as a planted freshwater with a single betta. At wide open it almost blew the fins off the fish. Po' critter. So now I have the little pump wide open in the pico tank and even without the spinny thing it is weak. I don't know. Maybe it's bogged down with sand particles? Too many ceramic rings around and on top of it? 

The killer is that the little pump **may** be two inches by two inches by two inches. Tiny. I can't seem to find a good one online that is that small. Well, I can't find a single one - good or not - that is that small. I don't want a powerhead showing in such a tiny tank. 

I may have to just break this down and transfer everything to the JBJ picotope with the AC 50 when it arrives on Wednesday. 

Any advice? The flow is stronger without the spinny thing but I don't want just laminar flow. I've read some corals are low flow. There's hope. But what exactly is low flow when it comes to a picotope? There's absolutely no rating on the pump anywhere so I don't even know what I have. I am LOATH to take it out again. I put all the hidden stuff in and then realized I'd forgotten to turn the pump all the way up. I had to get about fifty ceramic rings out with CHOPSTICKS. Yep. You read it right. Thank god it's a skill I have. 

Would that my little pump was as good as my chopstick Kung Fu. 

IMG_3198.JPG

GOALS

Merman's Shaving Brush

Marshall Island Hammer Coral

Micronesian Torch Coral 

Lavender Mushroom

PomPom Xenia

KeddRedd Polyps

Pederson Shrimp

Dwarf Colored Feather Duster 

• Like 4
thespinningsadhu

Just found and ordered a Hydor Centrifugal mini thing. The more-lauded alternative (forget the name) was on backorder for over six months. 

thespinningsadhu
17 hours ago, jack1978 said:

I'd ditch the ceramic rings..... The rings will just trap crap and give you issues.

Nice tank.

So the live rock and the tiny sachet of ChemiPure are enough?? And thanks. :)

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

So the live rock and the tiny sachet of ChemiPure is enough?? And thanks. :)

As long as that rock is porous and not a solid block of porcelain.....it should be plenty.  I'd run some filter floss in one of your chambers to catch junk before it settles in the bottom of your chambers.  Remove The floss when it gets nasty...once a week?  

So....rock, sand, floss, ChemiPure and water changes will be plenty.  Get a turkey baster and blast your rock and corals just before water change and floss change to get all the junk in suspension for removal.

Keep it easy and consistent.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
6 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

As long as that rock is porous and not a solid block of porcelain.....it should be plenty.  I'd run some filter floss in one of your chambers to catch junk before it settles in the bottom of your chambers.  Remove The floss when it gets nasty...once a week?  

So....rock, sand, floss, ChemiPure and water changes will be plenty.  Get a turkey baster and blast your rock and corals just before water change and floss change to get all the junk in suspension for removal.

Keep it easy and consistent.

From what I've been told about the man-made live rock, it may very well be solid porcelain. ? 

Okay, so when the new water cannon comes, out come the rings. I'll have to get some floss. Maybe I can use this that I already have until I have money for floss? Come to think of it, with no fish or coral or snails maybe I'll be fine with just the live rock and sand until the tank cycles?

IMG_3200.PNG

4 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

From what I've been told about the man-made live rock, it may very well be solid porcelain. ? 

Okay, so when the new water cannon comes, out come the rings. I'll have to get some floss. Maybe I can use this that I already have until I have money for floss? Come to think of it, with no fish or coral or snails maybe I'll be fine with just the live rock and sand until the tank cycles?

IMG_3200.PNG

Go to Walmart or a craft store and buy a bag of poly-fil stuffing like for making stuffed animals.  About $4-5 and last ya  a while. ;)

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Go to Walmart or a craft store and buy a bag of poly-fil stuffing like for making stuffed animals.  About $4-5 and last ya  a while. ;)

Really?!? I got crap tons of that stuff! 

12 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Yep, is what I use. :D Didn't even have to call Geico for these savings! :lol:

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Just make sure it's not treated to be non-flammable .....or smells like flowers.  Intank (sponsor here on NR) has good stuff for cheap.  Worth looking at his site. 

• Like 1
Just now, jack1978 said:

Just make sure it's not treated to be non-flammable .....or smells like flowers.  Intank (sponsor here on NR) has good stuff for cheap.  Worth looking at his site. 

Hmm I actually didn't know that.  Oh, well, everything is still alive so that's good I guess. :lol:

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

@Lula_Mae Which brand do you use from walmart??

11 minutes ago, DevFishe said:

@Lula_Mae Which brand do you use from walmart??

Er, no idea.  I think the bag I have actually came from a Hobby Lobby because the local Wally World didn't have any (and I think this bag was all the Hobby Lobby had).  All I know is it said Poly-Fil on it lol.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

So, my tank has cleared up nicely in less than 24 hours despite the extremely low flow. I need to polish the glass inside and out, but will wait because I have to get in there Saturday when the new powerhead gets here. 

I've decided to do the ammonia drops when the new powerhead gets here. 

Some quick and dirty pictures for posterity. 

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

• Like 4
thespinningsadhu

Started over.

F**K. 

The JBJ Pico came. I decided to take the other tank down and back to the store as nothing seemed to be working the way I wanted it to. 

So, switched tanks. Added the ammonia. Now just waiting on the AC50. And a miracle. 

excited to see the jbj picotope! I'm sure you've seen el fab's pico reef guide- a lot is possible. Go slow and be picky about the corals you add to the tank, there's no room for corals you dont love!

Forgot to add- I also suggest using as much vertical space as possible, gotta utilize the space you have! Just a personal preference, you do you :D 

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

It's my bible. ?

The only thing I'm overly concerned with now is no lid -I live alone and that means I don't dust often. All the makers of the lid I see on here are no longer active members. 

I think I've decided to not modify the AC50 to a refugium - I'm afraid I'd mess it up. I've read that people are keeping floss and ChemiPure in it and things are fine. 

Also considering a surface skimmer box - but it's more expensive than the filter. I may just use paper towels. Plus I've not read one rave review. Some good ones, but no one raves. 

When the tank is cycled I plan on treating myself to one or two corals. The guy with the shop on here has some pretty pieces. Forget the name of the shop - seahorse logo. 

Oh, I'm keeping the back of the tank reserved for the perfect piece of live rock - one that will give height. The way I have the rocks now there's a little tunnel under them - perfect hangout for a shrimp. 

I put a little airline with air pump on one side of my tank to help keep surface scuzzies away lol.  Running an AC20 for flow at the moment and that's it.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
14 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I put a little airline with air pump on one side of my tank to help keep surface scuzzies away lol.  Running an AC20 for flow at the moment and that's it.

How does air help? I don't understand. 

thespinningsadhu
3 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

The air bubbles go up and break the surface tension, seems to work pretty well for me lol.

I just didn't know. I don't know how surface skimmers work, either. It's just a box. It must be voodoo. 

thespinningsadhu
5 hours ago, DevFishe said:

@Lula_Mae Great advice, I never would have thought of that. I'm actually having the same issues so I'll give an airline a try

@thespinningsadhu In terms of a lid, if you find some clear rigid plastic you can pretty easily cut a lid out

I'd mess it up. Believe me. That's why I'm not turning the AC50 into a refugium. 

Can you please tell me why it has to be modded? From what I see here on the forums people have chaeto in it and maybe some rubble. Why can't I just stick some chaeto in there and be done with it? Leave the lid off for the light. Call it a day.