Coral Vue Hydros

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

14 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Live rock from Indo or Vanuatu is a given that it's gonna be leaking. Sri Lanka is one of the few that you rarely get a leaker, same with Fiji fish and corals, Indo on the other hand is a given that one or more of your coral boxes WILL be leaking. The one thing that rarely leaks? Sea urchins, figure that one out, lol.

You're such a treasure trove of interesting trivia!! :happy:

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

You're such a treasure trove of interesting trivia!! :happy:

You pick up a thing or 2 when you've been doing importing and fish for over 30 years.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

You pick up a thing or 2 when you've been doing importing and fish for over 30 years.

Wow! 30 years!  That's so cool!

• Like 2

Love your tank:D so sorry about your gobies though :( did yours eat well? I was considering getting 2 to end up with a pair but not sure as it seems like they are tough to get to eat frozen food:mellow:

On 7/14/2017 at 6:39 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I have bad news. :( The gobies and the green porcelain crab are gone. :tears: I'd left them at my parents' house until I could come fetch them and was going to do that today.  First thing I noticed was the air pump sounded really loud, and second thing I noticed was the water was super cloudy and I thought, "That's not good..."  Investigation revealed that the airline powering my little sponge filter had somehow come loose so for the last day or two, there was no circulation or filtration...I found the very dead gobies and then found the crab and gave it the sniff test, just in case...definitely dead.  I was so upset.  I'm feeling really discouraged right now because all of my efforts at keeping saltwater fish have gone ridiculously badly.  I was planning to start a larger tank in the near future so I could keep a few fish, but what's the point if I can't keep any of them alive?  Fortunately, the 5.5 still looks good, my family has been topping it off and they now know to let me know if it makes unusual noises lol.  One Pederson is still MIA but the other is out and loving the soap dish frag rack so I am sure the one is dead.  Probably the sluggish one whose bag was packed directly beside the ice pack. :rolleyes:  Haven't seen the pom pom either but they are notoriously reclusive so I'm not panicking yet.  Will panic if I don't find it when I move the tank next week lol.

I miss my little guys already.  Just a few days and I had fallen totally in love with them! RIP fishies and crab.

I love gbg...i think I have only 1 left. Nigel has not emerged from his rock. I will blow out the rock again tomorrow. Hopefully, he will emerge alive and well.

1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

Love your tank:D so sorry about your gobies though :( did yours eat well? I was considering getting 2 to end up with a pair but not sure as it seems like they are tough to get to eat frozen food:mellow:

I have no problems with feeding them. Anything. Hen, my female, LOVES flakes. She's at the glass when I take the container out.

5 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

I have no problems with feeding them. Anything. Hen, my female, LOVES flakes. She's at the glass when I take the container out.

That's awesome !!!! I guess you just have to make sure they are eating when you get them from the LFS?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I got mine from LiveAquaria and they had no issues with the pellets (I was using Omega One mini pellets with garlic) I offered them, though I was prepared with a couple different types of flakes, pellets and frozen foods, just in case.  I have no access to live foods unless I order pods online (which I've tried with less success than I hoped) so it's important they eat pretty well from the get go lol.  I think GBG's are some of the easier fish to get eating whatever, compared to say, yellow clown goby which often is hard to get eating at all.  But the GBG's would dance around with excitement when they smelled the pellets in the water column. :happy:

7 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

I love gbg...i think I have only 1 left. Nigel has not emerged from his rock. I will blow out the rock again tomorrow. Hopefully, he will emerge alive and well.

Aww, I hope you can find him.  They are such cute little guys!

• Like 2

Sorry for the long time of non reactions from my side! Loved reading all the updates and finally am up to date now! 

Sorry about the fishies... I think you can totally pull it off, you have just been having all the bad luck! :grouphug:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

That's awesome !!!! I guess you just have to make sure they are eating when you get them from the LFS?

I really don't think gbgs are picky or maybe I got lucky? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

I heard about the ycg so thought the green one might be tricky too. I love GCG!! But I don't have any sps in my tank, would they be ok?

Trying to think what gcg is....i was talking about green banded gobies.:D

• Like 1

Hahaha yeah...I tend to do that a lot lol. Oh sadly in Canada those are like impossible to get:( i've never seen one anywhere. Also I was worried that 2 might be too much for my 7g, which is why I was thinking green clown goby.:D

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
1 hour ago, Melfy77 said:

I heard about the ycg so thought the green one might be tricky too. I love GCG!! But I don't have any sps in my tank, would they be ok?

If you don't have any SPS they should be OK. Personally, I think they're a fish that's best left in the ocean. I love them to pieces, but they can be problematic. There are plenty of other gobies that do so much better in captivity, Gobiosoma, Trimma and any of the smaller shrimp gobies fare much better.

• Like 1

Agreed, i just don't know which fish to put in that tank hahaha. Clearly green banded goby would have been my first choice but impossible to get here, maybe a blenny? But then i'd need a lid lol

• Like 2

I bought a green clown goby for my 5.5. Made sure he ate before I bought him but I couldn't get him to eat in my tank. Fed him the same food he was eating. Sadly, he starved to death. 

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
43 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Agreed, i just don't know which fish to put in that tank hahaha. Clearly green banded goby would have been my first choice but impossible to get here, maybe a blenny? But then i'd need a lid lol

Gobies are jumpers as well. Segmented blennies are smaller as are Tailspot gobies.

41 minutes ago, Minidoll said:

I bought a green clown goby for my 5.5. Made sure he ate before I bought him but I couldn't get him to eat in my tank. Fed him the same food he was eating. Sadly, he starved to death. 

That's the sad part about Green coral gobies, they eat for a while, then they stop. Hopefully when captive bred ones become available this will be a thing of the past.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

My green clown goby ate pretty much right away, and accepts anything I give him.  He also lived off pods on the back of my tank for months before so managed to catch him. Maybe I got lucky. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Lisa166 said:

Sorry for the long time of non reactions from my side! Loved reading all the updates and finally am up to date now! 

Sorry about the fishies... I think you can totally pull it off, you have just been having all the bad luck! :grouphug:

Thanks, I am hoping my next time around will go much better!

6 hours ago, Nidilsky said:

I really don't think gbgs are picky or maybe I got lucky? 

That's my understanding and (limited) experience too lol.

6 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha yeah...I tend to do that a lot lol. Oh sadly in Canada those are like impossible to get:( i've never seen one anywhere. Also I was worried that 2 might be too much for my 7g, which is why I was thinking green clown goby.:D

I'd never seen GBG's in person either, had an order in with an LFS since May which I've yet to hear from lol.  But I was inspired by c est ma, an old member here who had a 5.5 with a pair of green banded gobies which spawned I think weekly in her little 5.5.  If you keep up with water changes, a pair of GBG's or similar skinny gobies is possible.  I probably wouldn't try it with a larger bodied goby or fish--best to only have one of those due to bioload concerns, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Minidoll said:

Aww sorry bout your fishy.  :(

2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

My green clown goby ate pretty much right away, and accepts anything I give him.  He also lived off pods on the back of my tank for months before so managed to catch him. Maybe I got lucky. 

It's my understanding that green clown gobies are much easier to get eating than the yellow ones, but I think they can still be finicky.  Having pods probably helped lol.  If I ever do a possum wrasse, I will want to make sure I have tons of pods available since I believe they can be difficult to get eating prepared foods sometimes.  They're so pretty, though! :wub:  Maybe I'll get lucky and find another pastel PSW and UPS won't kill it this time... :unsure:

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

PSWs are hard to come by, I order them all the time and I've only gotten 2, I just got 3 possum wrasses and they're in the QT system right now.

The Yellow coral gobies are LOADED with internal parasites. If you don't treat them for those, you risk your entire system getting them. Same for the Green ones. I don't order them because it's too much money into them to get them right and very few of my customers order them other than ones with dedicated QT systems and they charge accordingly for them, $30. There are so many better gobies that aren't plague magnets.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
StinkyBunny

I might have a line on a new supplier for oddball stuff out of Bali. This guy says it's all net caught, we'll see how it is Sunday. Bali skeeves me out to order from. He's big on oddballs like Perchlets, Possum wrasses, anglers, 23 different gobies, 17 different shrimp gobies and he offers them WITH their shrimp which is cool.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I might have a line on a new supplier for oddball stuff out of Bali. This guy says it's all net caught, we'll see how it is Sunday. Bali skeeves me out to order from. He's big on oddballs like Perchlets, Possum wrasses, anglers, 23 different gobies, 17 different shrimp gobies and he offers them WITH their shrimp which is cool.

Hey that sounds pretty cool!  What's skeevy about ordering from Bali?