ReefCleaners.org

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

5 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm trying to open the lid slowly so as not to light-shock anything, so I haven't gotten in there just yet...don't want them in there any longer than possible either lol.  Agh this suspense is killing me!

IME with DD, they will be wrapped in two or three black bags so you should be fine.

• Like 1
Thunder Goose

The suspense is killing a lot of us. Open the box already. My fingers are cramped from being crossed!

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Kellie in CA said:

You have far more willpower than me.  I would have just torn into that box!

Haha the only thing keeping me from doing that is the desire to save anything saveable! 

• Like 1

DD always ships in black lightproof bags so no need to hold off on opening the box. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best! :scarry:

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

DD always ships in black lightproof bags so no need to hold off on opening the box. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best! :scarry:

The fish bag was black on the top and bottom and clear in the middle. :huh:  Everything else was in clear bags.

39 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Get them open and dripping ASAP, light shock is the least of your worries at this point.

Yeah, things are dripping now.

So.  So far, the blastos are alive, somehow, and their water smelled ok.  The anthelia...there's a few stalks left of it, anyway.  The water smelled so bad that I didn't even add it to the little bucket with the blastos but just pulled the frag off the styrofoam and popped it in.  They are dripping to go in the main tank.

The crab is alive!  And very scared of me, it was determined to stay in that bag lol.  I've got it in a bucket dripping for the little QT in case it dies so I don't have to tear the tank apart to try and find it stuck in a rock somewhere.

But my wrasse...oh, that poor thing.  It's been dead at least two days, judging by the current state of breakdown of its body.  RIP beautiful, I would have loved having you in my tank. :tears:

595a9d5a9371a_pinkstreakedwrasseondiversden62717.jpg.464d7d356a86b64046a53b4d86b1bbb8.jpg

Thunder Goose

So sorry about your wrasse. Not surprised, though. Damn those delivery people who don't deliver on their promises.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Wrasses are another one of those critters that don't ship well on a good day, much less being in transit for 2-3 days. I can't tell you how many times I've damn near thrown out Cleaner wrasses thinking they were dead. Now, unless they're decomposed in the bag, they go into a tank. I can tell you this, I'm not a fan of LA/DD at all. I wish their credits were transferable, I still have an  $88 credit with them that I'll never use.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Thunder Goose said:

So sorry about your wrasse. Not surprised, though. Damn those delivery people who don't deliver on their promises.

For real.  I mean, it might have been dead by the time it reached my state anyway, but if I could've picked it up Friday it might have still been alive.  I'll never know. :(

10 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Wrasses are another one of those critters that don't ship well on a good day, much less being in transit for 2-3 days. I can't tell you how many times I've damn near thrown out Cleaner wrasses thinking they were dead. Now, unless they're decomposed in the bag, they go into a tank. I can tell you this, I'm not a fan of LA/DD at all. I wish their credits were transferable, I still have an  $88 credit with them that I'll never use.

Yeah, I was hoping against hope even if it was a fool's hope lol.  And the whole fiasco started because I wanted to be home to unpack the box as soon as it arrived so I requested they ship for Friday delivery and not Thursday!  Ugh.  I'd figured on putting it in the tank even if it looked dead but this...this is nothing but a couple chunks of fish meat. :tears: I've never had a major issue with LA (this one obviously not being their fault) but I know some people don't like them.  Will they even let you use the credits at DFS?  Say, you wouldn't happen to know anyone who can get a pastel pink-streaked wrasse, would you? :lol:

• Like 3

Sorry about the wrasse :(

LA/DD have nice customer service and the guarantee is better than any lfs. But the downside is you take your chances on shipping, where at the lfs you can see what condition the fish is in before you bring it home. 

I'm still shocked that even with a shipping delay they couldn't get it to you by Saturday since it was supposed to be there Friday. Taking until Monday is just ridiculous.

Ever since I started picking my LA/DD shipments at the shipping hub, I've had 100% success. The fish only spend about 12-15 hours in shipping and that makes a huge difference. But @StinkyBunny is right, especially for small wrasses, mail order is just a crap shoot.

Have you asked folks at the lfs if they can request one for you? I know at least two of my lfs's will do so for just about any fish.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, lkoechle said:

IME with DD, they will be wrapped in two or three black bags so you should be fine.

1 hour ago, Thunder Goose said:

The suspense is killing a lot of us. Open the box already. My fingers are cramped from being crossed!

Whoops!  I didn't even see these posts! :blush: The fish bag was black on top and bottom and clear in the middle, but sadly didn't make a difference. 

3 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Sorry about the wrasse :(

LA/DD have nice customer service and the guarantee is better than any lfs. But the downside is you take your chances on shipping, where at the lfs you can see what condition the fish is in before you bring it home. 

I'm still shocked that even with a shipping delay they couldn't get it to you by Saturday since it was supposed to be there Friday. Taking until Monday is just ridiculous.

Ever since I started picking my LA/DD shipments at the shipping hub, I've had 100% success. The fish only spend about 12-15 hours in shipping and that makes a huge difference. But @StinkyBunny is right, especially for small wrasses, mail order is just a crap shoot.

Have you asked folks at the lfs if they can request one for you? I know at least two of my lfs's will do so for just about any fish.

Thanks, me too.  I think it's ridiculous too, I know they "don't offer" Saturday delivery here but...you failed to deliver as promised on Friday so surely you could make an exception!  They didn't even scan its "arrival" until immediately before scanning it out for delivery this morning, so they literally left it on the trailer all weekend, and I don't even know if it was indoors!  I think I will have to start requesting any UPS live shipments be held at a hub because they are incapable of getting things here in a timely manner, it seems.

I did talk to one LFS and it seems there can be a months-long wait for PSW's.  Heck, I requested a green banded goby from them in May and still haven't heard from them!  And I'd think those are a lot easier to find.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Aww, sorry to hear about the PSW :tears:  It's pretty amazing that your other stuff survived in unknown conditions for so long.  I hope the acclimation goes well!

• Like 3
MrNanoReef

Sorry to hear about your fish. Two of my tiny gobbies (Red Striped and Shark Nose) didn't make it either, one dead before I put it in the tank one died within 24 hours, I think they're just two small for shipping so I wouldn't try them again.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Aww, sorry to hear about the PSW :tears:  It's pretty amazing that your other stuff survived in unknown conditions for so long.  I hope the acclimation goes well!

Thanks, and yeah, when I realized the crab's long whisker-thingie was twitching, I was shocked!  I hope so too!  I've got it on a really slow drip.

9 minutes ago, MrNanoReef said:

Sorry to hear about your fish. Two of my tiny gobbies (Red Striped and Shark Nose) didn't make it either, one dead before I put it in the tank one died within 24 hours, I think they're just two small for shipping so I wouldn't try them again.

I was just looking at your thread!  Sorry they didn't make it, I think if they're not in top shape to start with, they'll be done for in shipping.  Glad your shipment arrived like it was supposed to, though.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Same.  I got marine velvet from DD.  Granted, it was my fault for not qting.  But I certainly did not expect marine velvet from DD.  (But if you Google marine velvet and DD apparently there are lots of cases, I am far from the first).  However, I ordered from DD expecting with that extra step to get healthy fish and i didnt.  So, probably only working with an LFS or a supplier directly if I can find one...

21 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Same.  I got marine velvet from DD.  Granted, it was my fault for not qting.  But I certainly did not expect marine velvet from DD.  (But if you Google marine velvet and DD apparently there are lots of cases, I am far from the first).  However, I ordered from DD expecting with that extra step to get healthy fish and i didnt.  So, probably only working with an LFS or a supplier directly if I can find one...

Oh, yuck, that's terrible!  Yeah, you'd expect better from DD.  Just got off the phone with them, I didn't realize they no longer ship FedEx.  Seems they were having similar problems with FedEx as I had with UPS...

StinkyBunny

I've been ordering PSWs for a while as well. When you transship, it's a roll of the dice as to what you get. I guarantee you if I ordered a box of the damn things I'd get them, lol.

I only do airport to airport for this very reason. UPS and FedEx are terrible for overnight shipping. I sent a box up to slowtwitch and it arrived in good shape, the Cladiella melted, but those things ship like hell anyway.

If I could give you those credits, they'd be yours.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

When stuff comes in like that, it's chop and plop time. If a flight gets delayed, it's not good. Most of the time, Fiji is a direct flight out of LAX, but if not, it's chop and plop time. The boxes are opened and the fish dumped out into a bucket of water that are really stressed. It's like an instant 50% water change. I use a drop of Prime in that water too to kill off the ammonia right away, it can destroy a fish's gills in very short order. Other countries that come into NYC are quick for me to get home and do a proper acclimation.

Velvet is the very reason I don't do LA/DD. I wiped out a QT system with that. Ich you can deal with with newly imported fish, Velvet is quite difficult. They've already not eaten for 3-4 days and then that hits them, it's usually a death sentence.

• Like 1
cfaye@Delaware

I read thru what happened, I am so sorry for your lost. Now a lot of people don't like livestock from ebay but I have had good success with them, the sellers and trans-shippers. You do have to read and compare each seller, ebay will provide excellent info on sellers and review and who they use for shipping and ect. For my betta's, I have used different sellers, this was a few years ago. You could try a search and see what comes up. Once again I am so sorry. Shipping can be a crap shoot, but if fish are healthy and packed correctly they stand a chance, any live stock. Once again I am so sorry.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I've been ordering PSWs for a while as well. When you transship, it's a roll of the dice as to what you get. I guarantee you if I ordered a box of the damn things I'd get them, lol.

I only do airport to airport for this very reason. UPS and FedEx are terrible for overnight shipping. I sent a box up to slowtwitch and it arrived in good shape, the Cladiella melted, but those things ship like hell anyway.

If I could give you those credits, they'd be yours.

Haha like PSW-roulette!  Aw, thanks! :blush:

4 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Aw crap LuLa...such a bummer. 

Yeah, it really is, thanks!

3 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Sorry about your lipsticked baby. 

:happy: Thanks, I am sorry I never got to see the lipstick!

3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

:closedeyes: for PSW.

Glad there's hope for the others.

Good call on the anthelia, that's exactly what I would have done.

Thanks Weetie, when I opened the bag it smelled so bad, my mom commented at least 2-3 times about the smell and I was like I KNOW, I'M BREATHING IT IN, IT STINKS! :lol: When I opened the fish's bag, I yelled at her to not even come in the room for a while, it smelled so bad lol.

20 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

When stuff comes in like that, it's chop and plop time. If a flight gets delayed, it's not good. Most of the time, Fiji is a direct flight out of LAX, but if not, it's chop and plop time. The boxes are opened and the fish dumped out into a bucket of water that are really stressed. It's like an instant 50% water change. I use a drop of Prime in that water too to kill off the ammonia right away, it can destroy a fish's gills in very short order. Other countries that come into NYC are quick for me to get home and do a proper acclimation.

Velvet is the very reason I don't do LA/DD. I wiped out a QT system with that. Ich you can deal with with newly imported fish, Velvet is quite difficult. They've already not eaten for 3-4 days and then that hits them, it's usually a death sentence.

Yeah, I actually added a little bit of Prime to each of the buckets once everything was ready to set up for acclimating, I figured it couldn't hurt!  The flight delay was bad enough but UPS's lying shenanigans finished it off. :(  I learned my lesson about QT with little Tally.  All fishes are getting time in the pokey before they hit my tank!

14 minutes ago, frahny said:

Wow that's trash, I guess I know now i have to request shipments be held at the hub.

Yeah it's an hour drive for me to any of the nearby hubs but I am going to be requesting that from now on, I think.  The guy at LiveAquaria said to make sure it was a customer care center or whatever and not just a UPS store, since it still has to go out from the center to the stores and that can take a while apparently.

• Like 1