Cultivated Reef

Lula Mae's full circle 5.5--the end.

Lula_Mae

thespinningsadhu

This sucks. I'd be livid with UPS for endangering those little lives. ####ers. Oxygenated, sunshiney thoughts sent to your critters.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Fingers crossed that it gets there soon and in decent shape. 

Thanks, I am really worried. :unsure:

2 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Yeah! I immediately went in search for one and they were the darker ones. I'm going to wait for a pastel/light colored one like yours. 

Haha good luck, I think this is the first I've seen like this!  But the darker ones are beautiful too.

2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Oh no!! Fingers crossed for the wrasse! :(

For real lol.  I really hope everything survives.

1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

This sucks. I'd be livid with UPS for endangering those little lives. ####ers. Oxygenated, sunshiney thoughts sent to your critters.

Yeah I'm pretty upset.  I hope the package is at least somewhere temperature controlled where it's not going to heat up like an oven in the trailer...

18 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh jeez, that really stinks :( you would think if there was a living organism being shipped they would make an exception to let you pick it up. I hop everything goes well 

I know, right?  It's only an hour away, I totally would have gone to pick it up if that had been an option!  But somehow they've got it stuck so far back on a trailer they can't get to it.  Extremely unhappy with them right now.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll decide to deliver it tomorrow, I won't be home till 8:30 or so but that's still much better than two more days in transit.

From now on, all LA orders get a note about please do not ship with UPS lol.

8 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I know, right?  It's only an hour away, I totally would have gone to pick it up if that had been an option!  But somehow they've got it stuck so far back on a trailer they can't get to it.  Extremely unhappy with them right now.  Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll decide to deliver it tomorrow, I won't be home till 8:30 or so but that's still much better than two more days in transit.

From now on, all LA orders get a note about please do not ship with UPS lol.

Oh geez, so you can't get it for sure tonight???

Not good. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

Oh geez, so you can't get it for sure tonight???

Not good. 

No, and I'm chatting with UPS support on Facebook and am told there was a mechanical issue with the plane and they don't have any way to get it to me sooner than Monday.  It's an HOUR away!  Ugh if only I weren't working tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

No, and I'm chatting with UPS support on Facebook and am told there was a mechanical issue with the plane and they don't have any way to get it to me sooner than Monday.  It's an HOUR away!  Ugh if only I weren't working tomorrow.

:rant:

• Like 1

Here's the other things I'd ordered.  A  beautiful green porcelain crab, a gorgeous and big blasto frag, and pretty purple anthelia.

5956ef1bc05e2_greenporcelaincrabondiversden62717.jpg.e0d13c78f0fc3789cb8e12dc63001ece.jpg

5956ef23f3963_purpleandgreenblastoondiversden62717.jpg.6d93a91db2a11e176b92148245e3d598.jpg

5956ef29d331f_purpleantheliaondiversden62717.jpg.b512d894738012c5c69b6c3822c9c22b.jpg

Oh no, I'm so sorry about the shipping delay! Whenever I order fish from DD, I have them ship it for pickup at the UPS shipping center. It usually arrives there by about 9 am, instead of waiting until 6 or later for it to come to the house. 

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Oh no, I'm so sorry about the shipping delay! Whenever I order fish from DD, I have them ship it for pickup at the UPS shipping center. It usually arrives there by about 9 am, instead of waiting until 6 or later for it to come to the house. 

I wish I'd arranged that!  It would've been an hour or more drive but I was willing to do it if they hadn't stuck it so far on the trailer they couldn't get to it, and if they hadn't lied to the LA rep about it coming today! 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Ugh, this whole thing is making me so sad!  Fingers crossed that your critters make it through! fingerscrossed I always pick up coral at the UPS warehouse because they can't ship to where I live overnight.  

UPS does have some real logistics issues going.  A few weeks ago I was supposed to receive a Diver's Den order one morning but had an alert on email from UPSthat the packages for out here we're stuck at a hub in the Midwest due to a computer glitch that delayed the plane for 8 hours and they hoped to be able to deliver in the evening.  Then the UPS truck rolled into the driveway at 9:30 like it always does.  The driver handed me the box and I remarked that they must have fixed the glitch more quickly than they thought.  He replied that the actual glitch was in the software that sends the messages.  They sent out 10s of thousands of late alerts even though the planes were flying right on time.  Glad I hadn't gone to work after I got the message.

I have also had the unloaded truck issue.  I drove over to see if I could pry the box loose and they had the trucks front to back unable to open the doors.  They were nice and called me 3 hours later saying it was unloaded if I wanted to pick it up immediately.

10 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Ugh, this whole thing is making me so sad!  Fingers crossed that your critters make it through! fingerscrossed I always pick up coral at the UPS warehouse because they can't ship to where I live overnight.  

Thanks, I may have to do that if shipping UPS lol.  I am so not a fan of them right now though...

8 hours ago, OldManSea said:

UPS does have some real logistics issues going.  A few weeks ago I was supposed to receive a Diver's Den order one morning but had an alert on email from UPSthat the packages for out here we're stuck at a hub in the Midwest due to a computer glitch that delayed the plane for 8 hours and they hoped to be able to deliver in the evening.  Then the UPS truck rolled into the driveway at 9:30 like it always does.  The driver handed me the box and I remarked that they must have fixed the glitch more quickly than they thought.  He replied that the actual glitch was in the software that sends the messages.  They sent out 10s of thousands of late alerts even though the planes were flying right on time.  Glad I hadn't gone to work after I got the message.

I have also had the unloaded truck issue.  I drove over to see if I could pry the box loose and they had the trucks front to back unable to open the doors.  They were nice and called me 3 hours later saying it was unloaded if I wanted to pick it up immediately.

That's ridiculous...had it not been well after 4 pm by the time I found out it was stuck in the hub, I would've gone over myself.  I'll do that Monday if it's not on a truck by 8:30 or 9 AM!

7 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh geez. Just getting caught up-been dealing with my own stress in the Contest tank. 

So sorry to hear about this delay....

Thanks SeaFurn, totally understandable as you don't know what is causing the issue!  I know what's causing the issue but am totally helpless to do anything about it so I guess we're in the same boat there lol.

Ok guys, assuming the critters survive through Monday, here's what I'm thinking.  For the anthelia and blasto, float to temp acclimate, then drip acclimate over maybe an hour? and do a Lugol's dip before adding to main tank (in my trusty soap dish frag rack).  For the crab and fish, temp acclimate and then drip acclimate for at least two hours before adding to the quarantine tank.  I was wondering if it might help to add something like Stress Coat?  And maybe a couple drops of Prime into their water to help neutralize the ammonia in the bag water?  If anyone has any tips for acclimating or better suggestions, please let me know.  I recall that some wrasses might play dead when stressed but can't remember if PSW's are one of them.  Anyone know?  I'm kinda grasping at straws here, trying to prepare the best I can for an unknown eventuality (or eventualities).  I want to give them the best shot at survival, if they indeed will survive.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, guys.  It means a lot. :)

• Like 3

PSW's will play dead, they do it every night, just usually someplace where you can't see them. During a late night water change, I found Fitzgerald like this:

I was pretty freaked out, but I decided that he was just sleeping. Which he was...I caught him at it once or twice while I had him.

• Like 4
On 7/1/2017 at 10:39 PM, teenyreef said:

PSW's will play dead, they do it every night, just usually someplace where you can't see them. During a late night water change, I found Fitzgerald like this:

I was pretty freaked out, but I decided that he was just sleeping. Which he was...I caught him at it once or twice while I had him.

Oh, gosh, that would freak me out too!  Crazy fish lol. 

Hoping for good news on the morrow...fingerscrossed

• Like 2

Well, the package shows on a truck for delivery at 4:53 this morning.  The UPS customer service person responded to my reply email from Friday and assured me that it should be delivered by 10:30 AM, but I responded that it's now 11 and it's not here yet because nothing's ever here that early lol. :rolleyes:  Hopefully things will not be more than "mostly dead" and I can get Miracle Max to whip up a chocolate-coated miracle pill to bring them all back to life. :lol:

giphy.gif

image.gif?w=400&c=1

• Like 5

It's here!  Finally!  All I've done is pop the styrofoam lid and there is a stench...this is not a good sign.  :tears:

7 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

oh darn!  I have been stalkin you all day hoping for good news :'(

I'm trying to open the lid slowly so as not to light-shock anything, so I haven't gotten in there just yet...don't want them in there any longer than possible either lol.  Agh this suspense is killing me!