Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[The Official End and Beginning] The Creature Feature- EVO 5 Mantis Tank

lkoechle

39 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

My rats would always guilt trip me after putting them back by sticking their tiny hands through the cage and grabbing my shirt as I closed the door.  lol  I just love all of God's creatures.  They are all so special and unique!

I babysat (read: adopted) my college roommate's friend's rats. They were from the psych lab (one was a control group rat, the other had been beaten up by his 'wife' as they determined the radius of defense around her nest), and my roommate was meant to take care of them. So adorable! I miss them :wub: The angry one took months to warm up to me, but it was worth it!

• Like 4

So I meant to post this yesterday.  I upgraded the pump.  I got an aqueon "quietflow" 600.  It isn't really quiet, but it's pushing twice the flow so w/e.  Everything seems much happier.  Hopefully, the media basket will get here Thursday.  I plan on doing a big water change then to siphon the detritus from the rear chambers.  It will be nice to have some floss catching stuff in there and cleaning up the display.  I also plan on moving a gorgonian from the contest tank over to it as well as the GSP and possibly one or two of the others, I don't know yet because I also want to glue down one of the gorgonians in the tank already and have no idea how tomorrow.  But I have to go to my bestfriend's little brothers funeral tomorrow... yay... <-- sarcasm :'(  So that's going to be super fun and emotional.  And partly why I want to do all this tomorrow because I have a feeling I'm going to be pretty mopey and unmotivated Thursday.

Anywho, to get the 600 in the back of the chamber you need to mod.  So easy Derrick can do it.  But I'm going to put pics in because I can, because this is my thread.  

Product:

34814578336_649ea00554_c.jpg

Get your stuff (razor blade, flathead screw driver), rip off the front, pop off the flow dial, and shave off the half moon dial with a razor blade.  And you think you'd need a lot of force, but luckily this is cheap crap plastic, so you really don't. lol

34814583236_6b78c03387_c.jpg

Using your flathead screwdriver, pop off the back (or hulk out on it... w/e)

34854045255_615ec70d20_c.jpg

Then, snip off the top of the silicone tubing from the original pump (because this one is much taller) and you're good to go.  Easy peasy.

I had videos of before and after flows for you... But I accidentally permadeleted them before I realized what I was doing.

1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

You know I can do better, but fine, kick me out. 

I'm not kicking you out.  You can stay.  You just have to behave. 

2ad240f12654c1c8baeda3afa66fd9950eea77e4

• Like 2

I also got a 4 minute video of him doing something outside his burrow

He is building and rearranging things.  i heard they do this. lol  He has been out of his cave almost all day scuttling around the rest of the tank and collecting rubble.  I will post what I have later this evening.

Hopefully,  the inTank basket will get here today and I will do a big water change for that.

And an FTS with the GSP out

• Like 7

And no video :(  My son deleted it...  3 years olds are innocent adorable jerks. <_< It was a good one too.  He was scuttling around and moving rocks (decent sized ones too). -sigh- It was a good one.  I'll leave you with this instead:

yoshii.thumb.jpg.8b809cddc5e1f3d43e397383ea77e9bf.jpg

Not as fun as a video, but w/e.  He spent 80% of the day out and exploring the tank.  He's starting to get brave, so I'm sure there will be more videos soon.

My basket from SteveT arrived, so this tank is officially wet. lol and that's all for today... unfortunately... 3 year olds... Argh!

• Like 6

New FTS I had to do some rearranging because Yoshii was doing some rearranging.  Int the video though you can see everything open and happy-ish when Yoshii isn't running over them:

6nXIAa6xyvgsX_8r0mBOT6L5ZyAVb1FV4wy85ykU 

This blue spoonge has really been growing believe it or not. lol  It's pretty too.

O3DJpiSSf3Kjn_BCJ_fUYMWvXbJlvNQHx-q3a9PA

So on the side facing the mirror, there are these mollusks covered in this odd yellow sponge.  I also like the blue sponge.  Pity you can't see them from the "viewing" side:

Ratu4_Ql8_lVEfD-Feie8AXoRcK5VLx7-lwxfryg

And I hit submit too soon, but I have an awesome video of Yoshii rearranging his tank and dumping bodies. lol

Yay! here's the video, okay, so sometimes he disappears to the "unviewable" side.  If you can follow me, you'll see I'm watching him through the mirror.  So, yay mirror!

And sorry about the quality.  If I go pass the couch, he won't come out and play.  lol  I'm sure he'll get there though.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

New FTS I had to do some rearranging because Yoshii was doing some rearranging.  Int the video though you can see everything open and happy-ish when Yoshii isn't running over them:

6nXIAa6xyvgsX_8r0mBOT6L5ZyAVb1FV4wy85ykU 

This blue spoonge has really been growing believe it or not. lol  It's pretty too.

I6P7DXYPcUtmn2n0G9VKdhOfao289V44BiKBA4S8

So on the side facing the mirror, there are these mollusks covered in this odd yellow sponge.  I also like the blue sponge.  Pity you can't see them from the "viewing" side:

RScXLUgXauroAPaVdwKMajjQvFmbP6XnlevbFIT6

And I have this coral/encrusting/something hiding on that side of the tanks too.  I have no idea what it is.  It's hard and purple with bright white polyps:

eTQkTe78c7EMMpSrnOE_Wdg_27qPSpP-raKhVt7H

And I hit submit too soon, but I have an awesome video of Yoshii rearranging his tank and dumping bodies. lol

Yay! here's the video, okay, so sometimes he disappears to the "unviewable" side.  If you can follow me, you'll see I'm watching him through the mirror.  So, yay mirror!

And sorry about the quality.  If I go pass the couch, he won't come out and play.  lol  I'm sure he'll get there though.

Such a cool critter to watch. 

Is he usually this active or does he hide a lot?

17 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Such a cool critter to watch. 

Is he usually this active or does he hide a lot?

he has been getting more and more active.   So I would say yes.  I think he is getting more and more comfortable in his home.  at first he hid and watched, then he would prarie dog, then beneath the rock, now he is all over and will stay out as long as I dont approach too close or too quickly.  

So i think he will continue to be pretty active.  He manipulates his habitat a lot. I might do interesting thing like buy him painted hermit crab shells to look at or stuff like that every now and then.

• Like 3

Someone wanted to be a model today.  lol

JUST KIDDING.  He hates my phone.  If he sees it, he runs like the wind.  I have to be very slow in my approach.  But he was very cooperative today.

i49pLug1uE1OGeGpyBUHyfzNV5ZqtDL6Xgk6jtx4

yLLfADrZkUR5P4ylRhGVX41y70YrmV7EtpnY7DlB

COMBAT ROOOOLLL!

eVGbkukdzCaErwZEU6mnU48cElqKRf3fsycXo6Eb

CFosioeIgnxg-y8FOmi9RZ6zyHygnc01yxuey-_a

My favorite :wub:

twxIc8HdY8ZGrALboaELlZeVCIG0hEk1ZlmoA6vo

Out of focus, but still a good body shot.

Aaaaaand a video!

It's called "hide and go seek" for a reason:  I lost him a couple times so bare with me on that.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

So a couple days after my last update  Yoshii went into his cage and I didnt see him for several days.  I knew he was alive, so I am assuming he molted.  Today is the first day he has taken food and is starting to peek outside his burrow again.  So, like I said, this to me, points to molting and he is ready for the world again!

20170620_094404.thumb.jpg.8e96280f442873da9243f2301843216d.jpg

and an FTS, its a lot more empty since moving things back over to the contest tank.  But that leaves more room for coral! I just dont know what...

20170620_094417.thumb.jpg.d79975d32509c253e5fbb9bdd587d767.jpg

Do you like my GHA clump?  I like how it sways... :D

• Like 9
48 minutes ago, lkoechle said:

Do you like my GHA clump?  I like how it sways... :D

:lol:

Oh, and glad Yoshii is ok!  Tank looks nice!

• Like 1
On 6/8/2017 at 2:39 PM, lkoechle said:

Someone wanted to be a model today.  lol

JUST KIDDING.  He hates my phone.  If he sees it, he runs like the wind.  I have to be very slow in my approach.  But he was very cooperative today.

i49pLug1uE1OGeGpyBUHyfzNV5ZqtDL6Xgk6jtx4

yLLfADrZkUR5P4ylRhGVX41y70YrmV7EtpnY7DlB

COMBAT ROOOOLLL!

eVGbkukdzCaErwZEU6mnU48cElqKRf3fsycXo6Eb

CFosioeIgnxg-y8FOmi9RZ6zyHygnc01yxuey-_a

My favorite :wub:

twxIc8HdY8ZGrALboaELlZeVCIG0hEk1ZlmoA6vo

Out of focus, but still a good body shot.

Aaaaaand a video!

It's called "hide and go seek" for a reason:  I lost him a couple times so bare with me on that.

Omg he is so cool to watch, and so fast!!!!

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Omg he is so cool to watch, and so fast!!!!

Like Lightening McQueen.  Ka Chow!

• Like 1

Yoshii is starting to come out again.  I hope he doesn't have this kind of regression every molt... But whatever he is finally cautiously climbing around the tanks again.  

But really... He just needs a hug.

20170623_111925_001.thumb.jpg.12d574ff38914126716d3b54b56d3cb0.jpg

"Please, may I have a hug?"

20170623_111834.thumb.jpg.4f33a159fdffc43b7a893ee5a52e8e07.jpg

Mostly FTS.  You can see him peeking out of his newly drilled back door with lovely sponge decor.

I also trimmed Yoshii's front GHA hedge and removed the cyano that was moving over the blue sponge.

• Like 4