Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

100 Days of Nanos

luu78

Thunder Goose
4 hours ago, luu78 said:

Hi everyone, its been a tough week on the tank. First the 12 hr power outage last Sat. I lost the pipefish, the mini maxi anemone, the long tentacle anemone, and the hi fin goby. Then the official heat wave in Boston the previous 3 days. I will be posting my Week #5 FTS tonight. Ive added a few corals from my frag tank since.

Hi.:D I'm North of Boston (Beverly) and I'm still waiting to see if all my corals survived the heat wave. Everything else looked good, fingers crossed. Tank water got into the mid-80s before we broke out the window A/C. We normally only need it for about a week in August!

1 hour ago, Thunder Goose said:

Hi.:D I'm North of Boston (Beverly) and I'm still waiting to see if all my corals survived the heat wave. Everything else looked good, fingers crossed. Tank water got into the mid-80s before we broke out the window A/C. We normally only need it for about a week in August!

I literally added 3 big bags of ive from Stop n Shop to bring down temp. It was in the high 80s. My Skunk cleaner shrimp didnt survive. I misted my whole apartment to cool down

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nixperience said:

Throw an ice pack in the tank

Hi Nick, 3 big ice bags as top off between my 5 tanks and water temp was still in the 83s. 

Nixperience
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

My hubby's in CT and said it was near 100 some this week!  I can't even imagine without a/c, I would be dying lol.

I have AC cranking and my tank got to 81 before I took measures. 

Good morning guys! On a good note, it seems my Pom Poms have paired up since she's still holding her clutch of eggs. Although I rarely see both Pom Poms near each other. Go figure...My white spot anemone shrimps also paired up since they are always together in the strawberry tipped BTA. Ive added several frags (acan, Rastas zoas, red digi, purple birdnest, candycane, and the strawberry tipped BTA). I wonder how do I price corals that I propagate from my tanks? Please let me know if you guys know the answer to this. Here are some pics...

Week 5 FTS:

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

• Like 6

Hi guys, my second Liveaquaria order arrived today but missing the Venus Anemone shrimps. Hopefully the will be available soon within 2 weeks. I'm acclimating them now. I will be adding a Yasha goby hopefully to pair up with the candy stripe pistol shrimp that lost its long time Hi-fin goby mate during last power outtage mishap. I also go a pair of neon blue gobies, 2 more white spot anemone shrimps, another blue stripe pipefish and supposedly 3 Venus anemone shrimps which are similar to the Petersons but yet different. I cant wait to receive them. On a good note, my current white spot anemone shrimp is carrying a clutch of eggs and also the Pom Pom egg clutch should be hatching soon since its changing color from bright orange to more brownish. Its so hard to get a glimp of my Pom Poms. Theyre always hiding. 

IMG_0711.JPG

• Like 8
On 6/22/2017 at 7:44 PM, luu78 said:

Hi guys, my second Liveaquaria order arrived today but missing the Venus Anemone shrimps. Hopefully the will be available soon within 2 weeks. I'm acclimating them now. I will be adding a Yasha goby hopefully to pair up with the candy stripe pistol shrimp that lost its long time Hi-fin goby mate during last power outtage mishap. I also go a pair of neon blue gobies, 2 more white spot anemone shrimps, another blue stripe pipefish and supposedly 3 Venus anemone shrimps which are similar to the Petersons but yet different. I cant wait to receive them. On a good note, my current white spot anemone shrimp is carrying a clutch of eggs and also the Pom Pom egg clutch should be hatching soon since its changing color from bright orange to more brownish. Its so hard to get a glimp of my Pom Poms. Theyre always hiding. 

IMG_0711.JPG

Just FYI, Live Aquaria shows the Venus Anemone Shrimp as being in stock.  Hope you get them soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I had some time tonight to take some close up pics of the critters in the tank. I've noticed my white spot anemones pair really get a good grip on whatever coral or anemone they live on and tend to severely stress the anemone since they dont move around the anemones like the other shrimps do. I have to chase them off the anemone so they can live/grip on other corals in the tank for a little bit thus giving the anemone time to get comfortable again and expand.

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

• Like 5
1 hour ago, luu78 said:

My Peterson shrimp is carrying a clutch of eggs again today. Lets see if she can keep them....

IMG_0881.JPG

How exciting!  I just got a couple of these, one is loving the front rock in my tank but I haven't seen the other since it went into the tank.  They are so pretty though!

On 7/7/2017 at 8:49 PM, Lula_Mae said:

How exciting!  I just got a couple of these, one is loving the front rock in my tank but I haven't seen the other since it went into the tank.  They are so pretty though!

I love them. They're the most active livestocks in the tank. From time to time, they cleaned the Blue Neon goby. I had one jumped out of tank so I place a lid on nowadays. 

Hi guys, the tank seems to be stabilized now. Planning to do a WC this weekend and replace the GFO/carbon bag. Algae has been growing on the rocks and have kept the periwinkles busy. One of my Pom Poms is hosting a tiny red mushroom and a broken off BTA tip. Here are some pics taken tonight:

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi there

Almost time for the contest end in FOUR DAYS!!

Please post some pictures and a final FTS whenever you get a chance along with your challenges and observations.

Any equipment feedback would be great too.

And a summary of livestock with prices

Thanks

Hi everyone, here are the final pictures and notes regarding my tank and its tankmates.

Current livestock:

1.  White spot anemone shrimps x2 $48.42

2.  Peterson cleaner shrimps x2 $33.98

3.  Yellow scissor tail cleaner shrimp x1 $25.49

4.  Venus anemone shrimps x3 $47.97

5.  Blue stripe pipefish x1 $25.49

6. Electric flame scallop x1 $16.99

7. Condylactis anemone x1 $8.99

8. Pink tip green BTA ( split from my DT) x2 $30 value

9. Orange tip BTA x1 $25

10. Green BTA x1 $15

11. Pom pom crab x1 $16.99

12. Blue mini maxi anemone x1 $20

13. Purple mini maxi anemone x1 $20

14. Yasha goby with a candy-stripe goby shrimp pair x1 $41.99

15. Blue neon goby x1 $14.39

16. Tiny red rock flower anemone $15

17. Sexy shrimps x2 $18.68

----------

Total living livestock: $424.38

Livestock that didnt make it to the end:

2. Peterson shrimp x1 $16.99

11. Pom pom crab x1 $16.99

15. Blue neon goby x1 $14.39

16. Green rock flower anemone $15

17. Sexy shrimp x1 $9.34

-----------

Total dead livestock: $72.71

Grand total for livestock investment: $497.04 

Challenges that I encountered: 

1. Although the 4 BTAs are still alive, they're greatly retracted and shrunken down due to stress caused by the white spot anemone shrimps pair (especially the female, who BTW is still carrying the clutch of eggs since I posted of it awhile ago). After some reading, I finally got a condylactis by chance for my cherried Peterson shrimp to host but it has been overtaken by the white spot anemones as well. It seems the condys is tolerating them OK. I wished I did that from day one, maybe the tank would look more full if the BTAs are healthy and not stressed. 

2. Living in the top floor, I always have to deal with massive evaporation especially this tank due to very small return pump chamber. I finally teed off the ATO output from my NUVO 16 to somewhat controls this problem without investing  a separate ATO system. One sensor controlling 2 tanks. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5