Jump to content
frahny

Top down 28

Recommended Posts

frahny

I have had several tanks on NR over the last 8-10 years. None of which I would say I gave a solid effort to.

 

1st was a 20h, that ended after a coralife timer/power strip arced and about burnt my house down. 

 

2nd was a 15L that I transplanted all my stuff from my 20H. That was short lived because for my 30th birthday my wife scored me a deep dimension 150 gallon Monterey. Tank of my dreams there, however, I fell into some financial hardship trying to save a company that didn't want saving ;) and I had to sell it. 

 

A few years go by and I tried my hand at a jbj cubey. Epic fail because I simultaneously was starting my own business. Not the brightest idea. That lasted a few months and never even saw coral. 

 

Well, life has stabilized a little and I am ready to give an honest effort this time around. After taking a vacation to south Florida and realizing I missed having my own part of the ocean I began the hunt. Going to stay small, use proper equipment and look for small consistent improvements. 

 

I stumbled across a guy that had 2 Nuvo10's with some extra goodies (nothing I would use but could sell ;) ) for $80. I of course jumped at the opportunity. After sitting on those tanks for about 3 weeks I came across Teeny's nuvo10...... speechless. I have read almost 50 pages of that build and still have 84 pages to go but have been real inspired.

 

Tank- IM Nuvo 10 Fusion  Waterbox 28.2

Light- Kessil A80 tuna blue w/gooseneck  2- AI Prime HD

Pump-stock

Heater-Finnex 50w titanium  Neotherm 100W

Skimmer- Nano Ghost Skimmer

Filteration-Custom Caddy IM 20

Powerhead- Vortech MP10 QD

ATO- Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152

 

For now that's all. Tank is wet and ready to play the waiting game?

 

 

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

How I have missed these "reef tank issues" LOL. Got everything set up, wired and running only to notice that my Tunze nano will not kick on. Set Tunze support an email but nothing back as of yet. I did a google search and found a few threads describing a similar problem back in 2010 but couldn't find the solution. 

 

The pump kicks on if I unplug it and plug it back in, last night I got it to cycle till the float switch disengaged but have not been able to get it to run since. Any one have any ideas?

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

I can't say enough about good customer service. Randy with Tunze USA emailed and called to help me solve the problem. Apparently there was a bad batch of circuit boards that got released. He's sending me a new board and walked me through how to install it. Won't hesitate again to buy from Tunze.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, frahny said:

I can't say enough about good customer service. Randy with Tunze USA emailed and called to help me solve the problem. Apparently there was a bad batch of circuit boards that got released. He's sending me a new board and walked me through how to install it. Won't hesitate again to buy from Tunze.

Glad you got help fast!

 

Its the love/hate that keeps us going. :P

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

Current FTS. Water is fairly cloudy but should be clearing up any day now. Probably from the live sand since I put in a large piece of cured LR. Let me know what you think of the scape, kind of a two mound look.

IMG_0306.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer

I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

As suspected the tank cleared up and is crystal. Only thing now is I have to wait for the ghost skimmer to break in to get rid of the micro bubbles. Been working on a sticking list, looking to keep a few montiporas, zoas, ricordea and as the tank matures potentially some birds nests. I'm sure it will evolve over time but that's a few of the basics. Still up in the air regarding fish and inverts. 

IMG_0315.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

Took a work trip and came home to a new tunze nano curcuit board and a little diatom bloom. Couple screws and we are in business, still amazed on how quickly Tunze got back with me and resolved the issue.

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0321.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Type-H20

Looking good so far.  I like your reservoir disguise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
2 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Looking good so far.  I like your reservoir disguise.

Thank you, that was my wife's doing. She doesn't care for visible equipment. Unfortunately, my tunze nano is back to not working. Keeps timing out, pump won't come on when the float is down unless I unplug it and plug it back in. Hopefully contacting Roger at tunze USA will speed the replacement process up.

 

In other news the tank had a diatom bloom and is almost through the cycle but it's definitely the ugly stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro

Rinse the sand. Avoid the uglies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
1 minute ago, 1891Bro said:

Rinse the sand. Avoid the uglies. 

I'm actually really thinking about removing it all together. Roll bare bottom like a stripper.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Type-H20
On 5/7/2017 at 9:02 PM, frahny said:

I'm actually really thinking about removing it all together. Roll bare bottom like a stripper.

I've had 2 bare bottom tanks and one with sand - I prefer bb because its easier to keep clean, but sand looks more natural.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro
On 5/7/2017 at 6:02 PM, frahny said:

I'm actually really thinking about removing it all together. Roll bare bottom like a stripper.

Yeah bro, sand. Leave something to the imagination. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
jack1978

Great scape for what you're planning.....I say go with sand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
7 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Yeah bro, sand. Leave something to the imagination. 

 

5 hours ago, jack1978 said:

Great scape for what you're planning.....I say go with sand.

 

7 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

I've had 2 bare bottom tanks and one with sand - I prefer bb because its easier to keep clean, but sand looks more natural.

After doing the first wc I'm going to leave it and see how I like it moving forward. I like the look of the sand but I don't want it to cause anymore issues than what it's worth.  I would imagine as long as I stir it up weekly with my wc's I should be able to keep nutrients from storing there. 

 

As for stocking, I have a lot to narrow down. I have a 500 gallon reef expectation but a 10 gallon time allowance:) I am going to start with some zoas and acans. Then a hammer and on to a rfa possibly. I want this tank to be top notch so everything that goes in will be planned out. 

 

I have always liked engaging others with any type of builds. So I'll be leaning on the forum for input. 

 

Lastly, since I don't have any cool new addition pics to show, I have included the below meme for your enjoyment. 

IMG_0368.PNG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

Water peramiters are stable, in goes the cuc.

 

added 

 

trochus snail

cerith snails x's 3

blue leg hermit- super small

scarlet hermit

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Type-H20
56 minutes ago, frahny said:

Water peramiters are stable, in goes the cuc.

 

added 

 

trochus snail

cerith snails x's 3

blue leg hermit- super small

scarlet hermit

 

 

Some of us don't read the articles, but only look at the pictures.... let's see 'em..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro

Rex Kwon Do is for bitches. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
22 hours ago, Type-H20 said:

Some of us don't read the articles, but only look at the pictures.... let's see 'em..

I will as soon as I get back from a work trip. Gonna be gone a week or so. That and I have to figure out how to get decent shots with my phone since my camera sucks and I don't want to fork out ?? for a new one.

21 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Rex Kwon Do is for bitches. 

No way you'd say that to his face. Besides he has strength of a grizzly, reflexes of a puma and wisdom of a man. 

Share this post


Link to post
1891Bro

Break the wrist, walk away. 

IMG_1634.GIF

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
frahny

Been away for a while on a work trip. Was out of town for 22 days and upon my return I thought my cuc was toast. Couldn't find anything but the trochus. Ended up doing a water change I found the rest! Ceriths were all in the sand both hermits were holed up in small crevasses in the rock work.

 

Today I made my way to my LFS "premium aquatics" and scored a few pieces. Picked up a frogspawn and a nice colony of mean green zoas. I didn't realize it but the frag is actually on a group of muscles. 

 

For fish I scored a Wyoming White and extreme snowflake clowns, pajama cardinal and a small royal gramma

 

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.f4083aa69bd43ae9faf083ef6c855b20.JPG

IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.f5718a6b67b6314e2a0a22f6fb1b1129.JPG

 

 

IMG_0905.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
41 minutes ago, frahny said:

Been away for a while on a work trip. Was out of town for 22 days and upon my return I thought my cuc was toast. Couldn't find anything but the trochus. Ended up doing a water change I found the rest! Ceriths were all in the sand both hermits were holed up in small crevasses in the rock work.

 

Today I made my way to my LFS "premium aquatics" and scored a few pieces. Picked up a frogspawn and a nice colony of mean green zoas. I didn't realize it but the frag is actually on a group of muscles. 

 

For fish I scored a Wyoming White and extreme snowflake clowns, pajama cardinal and a small royal gramma

 

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.f4083aa69bd43ae9faf083ef6c855b20.JPG

IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.f5718a6b67b6314e2a0a22f6fb1b1129.JPG

 

 

IMG_0905.JPG

 

I like those zoas a lot.  Is the bivalve that Oreo looking thing?

Share this post


Link to post
frahny
9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

 

I like those zoas a lot.  Is the bivalve that Oreo looking thing?

Sure is, I'll try and get a shot of the others but there is a total of three on that frag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
WV Reefer
4 minutes ago, frahny said:

Sure is, I'll try and get a shot of the others but there is a total of three on that frag. 

 

So cool. I would have bought it just for those guys! 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...