Top Shelf Aquatics

Top down 28

frahny

Seriously I'm getting pissed. Firefish was fine this afternoon and now it's swimming funny and about dead tail looks like it's been stung or scarred some how. I seriously need to figure out what's going on....

31 minutes ago, frahny said:

Seriously I'm getting pissed. Firefish was fine this afternoon and now it's swimming funny and about dead tail looks like it's been stung or scarred some how. I seriously need to figure out what's going on....

:(

• Like 1

Makes the death toll 2 clowns, 1 firefish, 1 gramma and 1 cardinal. I'm going to smash apart the rock I bought from my lfs or fresh water dip it. Not sure if that will cause a cycle or not.

Brandon of the vase reef fame has commented about using tap water to rinse sand out and maybe even rock?  Can't remember for sure.  Maybe have some bottled bacteria and/or prime on hand just in case?

• Like 1
On 6/17/2017 at 6:10 PM, frahny said:

Been away for a while on a work trip. Was out of town for 22 days and upon my return I thought my cuc was toast. Couldn't find anything but the trochus. Ended up doing a water change I found the rest! Ceriths were all in the sand both hermits were holed up in small crevasses in the rock work.

Today I made my way to my LFS "premium aquatics" and scored a few pieces. Picked up a frogspawn and a nice colony of mean green zoas. I didn't realize it but the frag is actually on a group of muscles. 

For fish I scored a Wyoming White and extreme snowflake clowns, pajama cardinal and a small royal gramma

IMG_0911.thumb.JPG.f4083aa69bd43ae9faf083ef6c855b20.JPG

IMG_0908.thumb.JPG.f5718a6b67b6314e2a0a22f6fb1b1129.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

Awesome pics and corals! I have one of those clam things too that came in on a rock. Is that what it is, a muscle? I call mine a clam lol. They are sweet.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Brandon of the vase reef fame has commented about using tap water to rinse sand out and maybe even rock?  Can't remember for sure.  Maybe have some bottled bacteria and/or prime on hand just in case?

Yea, hard part is I have a maxi mini that has secured his foot way in the rock. I might have to go with out fish in this tank..... truly at a disappointing loss. 

9 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Awesome pics and corals! I have one of those clam things too that came in on a rock. Is that what it is, a muscle? I call mine a clam lol. They are sweet.

Thanks man, yea they are probably of the clam family but more like a muscle. I need to glue that frag down to the rock just don't know where yet. Don't need it moving around on me like before?

Not sure if you can see it but right where the tail turns from pink to red there is an abrasion, clown had it as did the cardinal. Any thoughts?

IMG_1342.JPG

2 minutes ago, frahny said:

Not sure if you can see it but right where the tail turns from pink to red there is an abrasion, clown had it as did the cardinal. Any thoughts?

IMG_1342.JPG

Hmm...Did you start with live rock at all?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Hmm...Did you start with live rock at all?

Yep, the purple rock was lr the white/green up front was dry rock from an old reef

Just now, frahny said:

Oh yea, the purple rock in the back is live rock the white in front was dry from an old tank. 

Well if it is truly a wound it could be from some sort of pest that came with that rock. Mantis shrimp, bad crab etc... but if it's more of the skin just not looking right it could be an infection like velvet. Velvet is quick and deadly.

• Like 1
Just now, TinyOcean said:

Well if it is truly a wound it could be from some sort of pest that came with that rock. Mantis shrimp, bad crab etc... but if it's more of the skin just not looking right it could be an infection like velvet. Velvet is quick and deadly.

Can velvet stay in a tank that has been fishless for weeks? I'll have to look that up, thanks for the tip!

1 minute ago, frahny said:

Can velvet stay in a tank that has been fishless for weeks? I'll have to look that up, thanks for the tip!

I think I've read somewhere that it can. Someone let their tank run for 6 weeks with no fish and new filters and then it was fine. No problem! 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, TinyOcean said:

I think I've read somewhere that it can. Someone let their tank run for 6 weeks with no fish and new filters and then it was fine. No problem! 

Welp, I'm gonna hold off for a few months. 12-16 weeks with no fish. May try a few sexy shrimp and see what happens. Just getting a little salty (no pun intended) that I literally keep flushing money down the drain.

Just now, frahny said:

Welp, I'm gonna hold off for a few months. 12-16 weeks with no fish. May try a few sexy shrimp and see what happens. Just getting a little salty (no pun intended) that I literally keep flushing money down the drain.

Ya that would be frustrating for sure. Sorry this is sucking for you right now. But try the shrimp, give the corals some love and let it stabilize for a bit and I'm sure you'll have a fish in there will no more problems.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TinyOcean said:

Ya that would be frustrating for sure. Sorry this is sucking for you right now. But try the shrimp, give the corals some love and let it stabilize for a bit and I'm sure you'll have a fish in there will no more problems.

All good and I appreciate the sentiment. Good news is I got a nice start on acan/zoa island:)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, frahny said:

All good and I appreciate the sentiment. Good news is I got a nice start on acan/zoa island:)

See? Coral love!

• Like 1

Welp premium aquatics just called and my extreme snowflake is on its way to there shop. The one I bought died almost instantly and they agreed to replace it. Now I'm up s#%t creek and don't have a safe place to put the fish. They are gonna hold it through the weekend since I got called out to a problem roof in CT. Hopefully,I can get some resolution before Tuesday or find a place to keep the fish local while I hunt the bastard that hunts my fish.... 

Looks like disease to me and not a pest. Probably something a fish brought in, maybe brook? I would set up a quarantine for the fish, make sure not to cross contaminate anything.

I lost a ton of fish to a prazipro resistant form of flukes so now every fish I buy gets quarantined. Last fish I QT was in there for 4 weeks free of disease and bam... ich showed up just days before I had planned to add it to the DT. :o

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Looks like disease to me and not a pest. Probably something a fish brought in, maybe brook? I would set up a quarantine for the fish, make sure not to cross contaminate anything.

I lost a ton of fish to a prazipro resistant form of flukes so now every fish I buy gets quarantined. Last fish I QT was in there for 4 weeks free of disease and bam... ich showed up just days before I had planned to add it to the DT. :o

I'll have to do that, not sure I can cycle a tank before Tuesday but I could definite seed it with bact. 

1 hour ago, TinyOcean said:

Did you read up on velvet yet? I agree it's probably more of a disease then a pest.

I did, what I am seeing in the fish doesn't look like ich or velvet but I bet I came in on the first batch of fish. I wonder how long I'll have to qt and starve out the tank.

Seed the QT with microbacter or something similar and do frequent water changes to keep ammonia down, also dose prime in between. People run uncycled QT tanks so it is totally doable.

• Like 1
Legendary Corals

Definitely going to agree that there is most likely some sort of disease in the tank. I saw your post on the IM 10 thread about low O2 levels, which wouldn't make sense since all of your corals are healthy. 

• Like 3
  • frahny changed the title to That new new 28