ReefCleaners.org

Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021

Pjanssen

2 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Today I noticed bits of algae growing on several of the gorgs-uh oh, the beginning of the end?

What kind of algae are we talkin' about? Sometimes film algae appears on the surface of my gorgs right before they shed, but if it's a chronic problem it could indicate that the gorgs are getting too much light. I know the Nanobox you've got on there packs quite a punch. What sort of schedule are you running for it?

54 minutes ago, billygoat said:

What kind of algae are we talkin' about? Sometimes film algae appears on the surface of my gorgs right before they shed, but if it's a chronic problem it could indicate that the gorgs are getting too much light. I know the Nanobox you've got on there packs quite a punch. What sort of schedule are you running for it?

It’s a pre program for lps. I think it runs 12 hours.  I’ll check in a bit

7 hours ago, melson said:

Just a guess but you probably need more flow! How much flow do you have right now?

I guess it's possible, but I'm running a Sicce Syncra .5hp plus a Koralia Hydra but I don't know the hp of that. Seems like there is a lot of flow. Maybe I'll try relocating the Koralia.

7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

all I see is that BRIGHT RED feather duster!  dang!  see it peeking out in he FTS too.    

There are 2 of them. Thats the beauty of KPA live rock. I discovered the 1st one more than a year after the tank was set up and The 2nd one only about a month or 2 ago.

• Like 4

Hmm yeah those gorgs look a bit raggedy. The ones with massive tissue loss are probably not going to make it, sadly. 😥 It's strange that they are struggling, because you seem to be doing everything right. My hunch is that barring some sort of serious water quality problem, their issues are based in either light or, as @melson mentioned, flow. The algal growth seems to suggest to me that excessive light may be the culprit, but it's hard to say for sure. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Any time my gorgonians don't do well is because they aren't in a prime flow spot. They need flow to shed their old tissue and keep everything happy for them. I always know when I need to clean my pumps because my gorgs will look sad due to less flow.

• Like 3

Water change done. Pumps cleaned. Moved/removed a couple of things slightly in order to change/improve flow. I took the gorgs with the most algae growing on them completely out. Reduced the photo period from 12 hours to 10 hours, and each of the channels by 5%. I may add a small hermit.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Water change done. Pumps cleaned. Moved/removed a couple of things slightly in order to change/improve flow. I took the gorgs with the most algae growing on them completely out. Reduced the photo period from 12 hours to 10 hours, and each of the channels by 5%. I may add a small hermit.

Those are the steps I would take too. Hopefully things improve! Have you tried running a small amount of GFO? 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Those are the steps I would take too. Hopefully things improve! Have you tried running a small amount of GFO? 

Didn't really think about GFO. Might be worth a try. If the above steps aren't enough, then I will. Aside from a couple of the gorgs having algae growth on them, there is no other obvious algae in the tank-rocks and sand are clean. would like to add a refugium in the back chamber, but I don't really have a light to put on it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

Couple of pics

Purple candelabra 

P1010003.thumb.jpeg.c0bb9ebfcb23f174be07ab4cdd61f0cc.jpeg

One of 3 new Foreigners to the Caribbean.

P1010019.thumb.jpeg.8f3b7ec0ecc3669a76ed200749e6c6ae.jpeg

P1010012.thumb.jpeg.48ed607b9f73e4151f8cd44da1ee5996.jpeg

The royal gramma is coming out more lately.

P1010009.thumb.jpeg.9d5cd002a25fa6c5c3abaec294f5a37c.jpeg

2049645042_P10100072.thumb.jpeg.c685e9c43565f5ecbc62d614153dd704.jpeg

That last pic is great! 😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember a really long time ago when I thought I lost a shark nose goby, only to find him months later hiding out in the back chambers? And then several months ago, I don't know how long, I lost all of my fish? Check out the back wall

P5240025.thumb.jpeg.dbc9bec15473d1cc2934f94fbaaaf8d4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
  • 1 month later...

Long overdue maintenance today. Lots of hair algae growing on the corky. Some sparse algae growing in other places as well. Looks pretty good after cleaning everything up. Will try to get some photos after everyone decides to come back out to play.

• Like 2
  • Pjanssen changed the title to Penny's IM14-Retired 7/18/2021