SaltCritters.com

SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

SeaFurn

Kinda bummed tonight. Awhile back I posted about one nem who got munched on by something. Its wound was healing slowly and it kept its tentacles covering it most of the time. It hasn't really inflated much since it happened.

Well today I notice it got munched on again. This time much worse. Several tentacles appear to be missing and it's very fleshy in the spot where they were. It's proabably a death sentence for it. Thought about trying to pull it off the rock or bottom of the tank (not sure which it's attached) and dipping it in Lugols but I think that would be pretty traumatic and probably ineffective. Not sure what to do or what's doing this. There's definitely enough food in the tank with as much baby feeding going on. 

There are two other nems right beside it and they haven't been attacked.  Very frustrating. 

39680271934_fabf6b224b_b.jpg

• Sad 5

I would put a piece of fish/shrimp/clam on a piece of fishing line after lights out and see what comes out for it. I have a feeling you either have a Gorilla crab in there or another HUGE Fireworm.

24 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I would put a piece of fish/shrimp/clam on a piece of fishing line after lights out and see what comes out for it. I have a feeling you either have a Gorilla crab in there or another HUGE Fireworm.

:naughtydance:

1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

:o ...that would suck.   So just hang it in the water column??

Spawning practice tonight?? The Spring Equinox is less than a month away...

(See the baby at its base by the glass??)

@kimberbee - I will probably  start feeding my adults meaty foods (mysis, brine, Reef Frenzy) a couple times a week now. I know you wanted yours to spawn so just passing along my plan. 

39736215184_1847048cfb_b.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jesseatam said:

My rock flower actually just spawned about a week ago, the dude is by himself sadly though so no chance for babies :(

You need to get another one or two! 

Just curious - when it spawned did you notice if the temp in your tank was warmer than it normally is?

14 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

You need to get another one or two! 

Just curious - when it spawned did you notice if the temp in your tank was warmer than it normally is?

I know! Definitely going to try to get another one or two soon. Sadly I didn't check my temperature while it was happening though, I would guess the temperature was about 79-80 though as that's what it usually is.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this some kind of coral encrusting in the rock? It's about the size of a quarter.  I'm not sure why I didn't notice it before (maybe becuase it's the same color as the rock?) but the white edges has me wondering. 

40790431531_2755bd4681_b.jpg

• Wow 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Still have 40 babies in the tank!

I'm target feeding each one daily although most would probably be fine for a few days now without being fed.

41123865731_1cb83336cf_b.jpg

41080811012_38d9d08398_b.jpg

41080856132_3494ec5d67_b.jpg

No signs of any spring spawning so far. 

No signs of any fire worms. 

I did get several more RFAs and they are hanging out in a basket until the new tank has cycled and they can move in! Here are a few of the new ones. 

39315520570_4e9b927556_b.jpg

40229523205_4954eac4cc_b.jpg

I put a few babies in the basket a couple of weeks ago. They are either gone or hiding under these. 

Hope to get the new tank build thread started this weekend. 

• Like 4
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs

My female clown fish has taken a liking to bubble algae.  She eats it right off the rocks.  The first time i saw her do it I thought it was just some random occurrence.  Since then I've seen her do several times and my tank is mostly void of it now.  Anyone else have a clown that likes bubble algae?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 3
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs & Clown Likes Bubble Algae
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a few shots from Instagram over the last couple of weeks.  I have 40 baby RFAs still! While there are doing very well, I think 35 of them are very viable.  5 are still small and require extra care (daily feeding). I've got the bigger tank up and running and moved the clowns to it (yes, I still need to start the thread for that one) but I'm concerned about moving them to such a clean tank with no micro fauna in it.  I guess I'm just as concerned about moving the adults to it.  Any suggestions as to how long I should run the new tank before moving the nems to it? 

• Like 4
  • SeaFurn changed the title to SeaFurn's 100 Days of Nanos Contest Tank: 40 Baby RFAs