Cultivated Reef

xiaoxiy

20 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Salad Fingers... :lol:

He got banished to the refugium because the display flow was too high. The moment he went into the refugium, he was like "fek yeah".

Here's a view from my desk. The white balance is accurate; the picture was taken with 2 Coral Plus bulbs.38243112312_0526c9c110_k.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 5

How do you clean your edges lol. I’m really considering placement similar to this but I feel like cleaning would be so hard. Do you think you’ll ever put corals on the sides by the glass? Only ones I can think of would be zoos or shrooms, maybe some Acans or Favia but would that go against your theme too much?

2 hours ago, Hobbs said:

How do you clean your edges lol. I’m really considering placement similar to this but I feel like cleaning would be so hard. Do you think you’ll ever put corals on the sides by the glass? Only ones I can think of would be zoos or shrooms, maybe some Acans or Favia but would that go against your theme too much?

The rocks are about 1 inch from the glass on the sides at the closest point and my mag cleaner cleans the glass just fine with that clearance. I won't put anything on the outside edges of the rocks, but the front and middle areas are fair game for coral placement! I might end up putting encrusting montis or zoas on the edges to have the covered up though.

39 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

just got caught up.  nice SPS! 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Jonboy21 said:

Probably teaching you to suck eggs but watch out for Zoas they can grow over SPS which kills the stem and you lose your lovely coral. 

In my experience, the opposite happens for some odd reason. My acropora tends to encrust all around each zoa polyp and smoother the zoas out!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jonboy21 said:

How odd. I know 3 reefers that have lost SPS to Zoas, just the beauty of reef tanks.. you never quite know what they are guna do ?

Did they have larger SPS colonies or were the sps just frags? I can see a newly mounted sps frag being over taken by zoas, but ime SPS easily encrusts over zoas.

20 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Did they have larger SPS colonies or were the sps just frags? I can see a newly mounted sps frag being over taken by zoas, but ime SPS easily encrusts over zoas.

I think it was established, guess it depends on which sps/ zoa 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2017 at 5:24 PM, xiaoxiy said:

He got banished to the refugium because the display flow was too high. The moment he went into the refugium, he was like "fek yeah".

Here's a view from my desk. The white balance is accurate; the picture was taken with 2 Coral Plus bulbs.38243112312_0526c9c110_k.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

Did you also give him a rusty spoon?? 

The tank is looking really nice. I like the new rock work - very cool

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Moolelo said:

Are some corals encrusting on the back wall? The depth is excellent in your scape.

Thank you so much! One of the goals I was aiming for during the design of the aquascape was to maximize depth. The SPS on the back walls are sitting on magnetic frag racks, that way I can remove them for easy fragging in the future!

37620979355_cb57206310_k.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 1
Just now, Jonboy21 said:

Your tank is really starting to take shape, be good when it grows out 

I'm completely finished adding livestock to the tank!

On a side note, I managed to grab a 6 inch colony of ORA Hawkins Echinata for $70. From the colony, I was able to make 3x 2 inch frags, and still have a 4x3 inch mother colony left! SCORE, given that a 1-2 inch frag typically sells for $60!!!!!!!

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

I love it !!! I really need to get me the small box of those rocks and mess with them. You able to do macro shots with that camera ? 

Haha thanks. The rocks are super sweet. Also it's an iphone 7 :*(