Innovative Marine Aquariums

xiaoxiy

5 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Looking good. What kind of flow pattern do you have? 

My MP10s are set to Sync-Long Pulse mode to mimic a surge device. The pulses are set to 5 mins on high, 5 mins on low, and the MP10s are set to the 10th LED on power (so like 80% power).

I choose this setting to mimic the flow I saw at the Honolulu Hawaii Aquarium's outdoor grow-out farm this summer.

• Like 2

Uh guys... I messed up real bad yesterday when doing my weekly maintenance. I managed to shatter my mame overflow, leaving my tank without an overflow and return. :(.

On the flipside, I was able to quickly contact @cbort and drove down to pick up the Elos Midi he was selling. I got home about 7PM (after stopping at a LFS for 15 gallons of additional saltwater) and began the tank transfer. I spent about an hour cleaning the Elos MIDI and draining my old tank. I then had to drill my stand a few times to make holes for the ELOS plumbing. By 11pm, I began the transfer of my livestock over. I still need to make a new lightstand, and rescape the tank (I have an addition 20lbs of dry base rock).

The water cleared up this morning and I was able to snag some quick photos.

37042287673_52f7a9c530_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

37712621881_75fb124c24_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

37042287653_13341c35ea_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

37455317350_851b11a529_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

Right now, I have the background of the tank as clear. What do you guys think, should I black it out or leave it clear? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Bummer about the Mame overflow but the Elos looks good! 

That's a tough one - I'd say black it out. But either way will look good!  

I'm leaning towards blacking it out as well. If I do, I'll have to shift the stand so I can get more access to the back in order to apply black vinyl to the tank.

21 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh crap, that stinks! The transfer looks like it was a success though, it looks great! What are your plans for the UNS?

I have the UNS sitting in my closet atm. I might sell it, or just hold onto it as a backup tank. 

I figured out what I'm going to do for the additional rockwork this tank is gonna need. I'm gonna use 20lbs of the Stax rocks; I've been itching to play with the Stax since it came out earlier this year.

• Like 1

That Elos looks great! Glad to see it found a good home and isn't collecting dust anymore! I would frost out the back! That's what I plan to do with the Elos 120! It's different and seems to give a perception of depth.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, cbort said:

That Elos looks great! Glad to see it found a good home and isn't collecting dust anymore! I would frost out the back! That's what I plan to do with the Elos 120! It's different and seems to give a perception of depth.

I've always run frosted backgrounds on my tank, but I'm unsure as to how the black overflow and silicone lines will look with a whiteish background :/

54 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Man that blows so bad.. at least everything went good for the transfer. 

How are you liking the new dims of the new tank ? 

I love the depth and height of the tank. I didn't realize this, but it's nearly double the volume of the 60U!

The dimensions will allow me to do something like this: 

37006317843_b64b5cb5e3_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

I placed an order for 20# of Stax Rock. Fingers crossed that I'll have it by Friday and will be able to work on the scape this coming weekend.

I'm so astounded by how solid this tank is built. The overflow system is literally a plastic box cemented into the corner.

37712619321_211b23720b_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

It has dual returns as well 

23859477668_3080dd1d1f_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

I am, however, confused as to what this hole is for. I feel like the tank would overflow before it could kick in as an emergency drain....

37680558022_526234af69_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 2
8 hours ago, jstj0sh said:

Awww man, that looks great so far. Canyon scapes are always so amazing and these Stax seem like they'll make it relatively easy to dial in something perfect. 

I'm so excited for the stax to come in!

7 hours ago, Lugmos12 said:

y’all are so creative! wow 

When I get bored.... I play with shit like this

37072545374_ff5b2f154d_z.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-18 at 5.07.25 PM by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

1 hour ago, Jonboy21 said:

Great looking tank 

Thanks Jon!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Awesome stuff man! 

Thanks Dave.

While I want for my rock to arrive (ETA tomorrow), I've been playing a bit more with forced perspective. I feel like not many reef aquascapes use forced perspective, although it is much more common in planted aquascapes.

37129273543_fd66c5df84_z.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.28.18 PM by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

or even with a forced sandpath to strengthen the perspective

23946784588_e7a10d84a4_z.jpgScreen Shot 2017-10-19 at 3.37.53 PM by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 1

The Stax rock came in yesterday, and I got to play with it for about 15 minutes. The pieces are about 1 inch thick and range from 2-6 inches in size. The shelf aspect of the rock makes it so easy to manipulate and aquascape.

Here's something I threw together in 10 minutes: 37149944343_d2865e72cc_z.jpgUntitled by Xiaoxi Yang, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Love the curve channel down the middle!  Remind me of that Japan's CP Farm aquascape. 

image.thumb.png.bdc348352ca52c483f4694add6ad4383.png

I wish my next tank has the footprint that allows for something like that. 

What happened to the height difference between the two towers that was shown on the dry mock? 

1 hour ago, Reefkid88 said:

I REALLY like those stax rocks,only if they made some for smaller tanks. Definitely makes the tank more oceany lol. 

I love the Stax rock... I'm gonna use them exclusively for rockwork from now on.

1 hour ago, micoastreefing said:

Love the curve channel down the middle!  Remind me of that Japan's CP Farm aquascape. 

image.thumb.png.bdc348352ca52c483f4694add6ad4383.png

I wish my next tank has the footprint that allows for something like that. 

What happened to the height difference between the two towers that was shown on the dry mock? 

It got too unstable and I didn't have any acrylic rods to drill/jam down the center of the rocks for support :(.

• Like 2