Cultivated Reef

Barton's 5g Pico powered by AI Prime HD

mbarton2010

mbarton2010

So I've heard that mushrooms can melt easily. Well the rock I have that is covered in shrooms seems to be on the decline. One mushroombhas melted and the others look to be on their way out. Should I remove the whole rock or should I just let nature take its course and do a WC or two? All levels are in check and everything else is doing great including all my SPS

13 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

So I've heard that mushrooms can melt easily. Well the rock I have that is covered in shrooms seems to be on the decline. One mushroombhas melted and the others look to be on their way out. Should I remove the whole rock or should I just let nature take its course and do a WC or two? All levels are in check and everything else is doing great including all my SPS

I'd do a WC or two. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

Witnessed a murder! 

My pistol shrimp killed my emerald crab ???

Cool and sad at the same time. :mellow:

41 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

Witnessed a murder! 

My pistol shrimp killed my emerald crab ???

Maybe he was protecting his reef from a future coral eater? :unsure:

• Like 1
mbarton2010
27 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Maybe he was protecting his reef from a future coral eater? :unsure:

I heard some clicking and I looked in the tank and next thing I know I see the shrimp click the emerald crab and he just kind of curled up and rolled over 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

I heard some clicking and I looked in the tank and next thing I know I see the shrimp click the emerald crab and he just kind of curled up and rolled over 

Wild kingdom in the tank! :lol:

mbarton2010
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Wild kingdom in the tank! :lol:

Well I guess I didn't witness a murder :blink: i guess the pistol shrimp was clicking at a molt. I just saw the emerald crab! I've never seen such a perfect complete molt before!

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

Well I guess I didn't witness a murder :blink: i guess the pistol shrimp was clicking at a molt. I just saw the emerald crab! I've never seen such a perfect complete molt before!

Zombie crab.  Don't trust it.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
mbarton2010

So some not so good updates. Not sure what happened but I went to the lake the other day and when I got home my green birdnest had RTN. I checked the levels and the nothing was too crazy. I did 2 20% WC and it seemed to have stopped. Everything else is good. The acro is doing better than I expected. The only bad thing that has happened is the birdnest. 

• Like 1
mbarton2010

The only thing I can think of is that I hatched some brine shrimp last week but used some water from my freshwater tank because I intended to feed some guppy fry with them but then decided I would add some to my nano

Aww bummer!  Did you lose the whole thing?  That stinks. :( UPS killed my new wrasse by keeping it in a trailer at their warehouse all weekend. :angry:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Aww bummer!  Did you lose the whole thing?  That stinks. :( UPS killed my new wrasse by keeping it in a trailer at their warehouse all weekend. :angry:

:(

mbarton2010
28 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

No only the top half. I'm gonna try to save it. That sucks about the wrasse

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Mkbarton said:

No only the top half. I'm gonna try to save it. That sucks about the wrasse

Hope you have success!  And that it grows into a nice colony someday. :) Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. :(

mbarton2010

I need an ID. I picked up this gorg from the LFS for $20. It was the only healthy one they had. 

IMG_0451.JPG

It's got a deep red/purple base and orange/yellow polyps

Also picked up a nice orange Acan 

IMG_0452.JPG

• Like 4

Dunno, but it looks likely to be photosynthetic so it'll be easier to keep alive.  I'd try feeding some small particle/filter feeder type foods every few days just to help it out though.

• Like 1
mbarton2010
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Dunno, but it looks likely to be photosynthetic so it'll be easier to keep alive.  I'd try feeding some small particle/filter feeder type foods every few days just to help it out though.

Yeah I picked up some reef chili a few days ago to try and feed my sps back to health. So I'll just use that 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mkbarton said:

So I think I have saved my birdnest! It's polyps are extending again and it has stopped receding completely. 

Yay!!

• 3 weeks later...
mbarton2010

So I'm back from a 2 week vacation with my girl in Washington state. Had my mom look after my tank. Came back to everything alive except my hammer. It must have fallen over in the sand and got covered by the pistol shrimp. There was a little hair algae and some cyano due to two weeks of feeding and no water changes. But I've done a few water changes and changed the carbon and added chemipure. 

• Like 4