Pod Your Reef

51 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

That yellow sponge is everywhere now. It’s actually helping prevent a few coral wars at the moment. 😄

What most people don't realize is that sponges are what builds the majority of reefs. Corals are the framework, sponges fill it all in.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

What most people don't realize is that sponges are what builds the majority of reefs. Corals are the framework, sponges fill it all in.

I think my sponges in the big tank are killing the Cyphastrea.......which I didn’t think possible. I figured that thing would cover the entire reef before long. 

45 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I think my sponges in the big tank are killing the Cyphastrea.......which I didn’t think possible. I figured that thing would cover the entire reef before long. 

Sounds like you need a French, Regal or Emporer angel in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
34 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Sounds like you need a French, Regal or Emporer angel in there.

In this case the coral murder is a good thing.  😄 but i have a feeling it’s not over yet. 

Whatchoo laughing at seabass, I keep Emporers in reef tanks all the time with minimal nipping. I have a friend with a 700 gallon system that has an adult mated pair in his tank and all he keeps are SPS corals and they only nip a little at the shit brown Montipora he has. 🤷‍♀️ They absolutely demolish any sponges though.

• Like 1
On 8/17/2019 at 9:25 PM, WV Reefer said:

Thats not Star Lord, its the new guy. Tailspot Blenny....... no name as of yet....... and he is very cute and very small.

The Pectinia has been super puffy since I moved it to this tank. 

Since @Cannedfish is never coming back, I think this guy should be Blenwood the second, in honor of blenwood. 

• Like 1

Speaking of your sponges. Did you grow them in as hitchhikers or did you get some and put them in there, and if you did, how difficult was that? My LFS has a bunch of 2-3in yellow sponges, and I've thought about getting one, but I've heard they're difficult to transfer.

• Like 1
Just now, Dirté Sanchez said:

Speaking of your sponges. Did you grow them in as hitchhikers or did you get some and put them in there, and if you did, how difficult was that? My LFS has a bunch of 2-3in yellow sponges, and I've thought about getting one, but I've heard they're difficult to transfer.

The red and the purple photosynthetic sponges I bought online. Once they grow a bit more I’ll cut you some if you want. 

The yellow, pink, white and light blue just showed up one day. 

• Like 2
Just now, WV Reefer said:

The red and the purple photosynthetic sponges I bought online. Once they grow a bit more I’ll cut you some if you want. 

The yellow, pink, white and light blue just showed up one day. 

Oh sweet that'd be awesome! Speaking of frags- that pectinia matured yet? 😃

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Nativeguy said:

Sorry to hear about the new guy... Any chance you remember where you bought said sponges? Thanks! P.S.- absolutely love this tank!!!

Thanks. 😊

The purple sponge was from Aquarium Depot and the red sponge was from Live Aquaria. All the other colors just appeared on their own. 

• Like 1
On 8/26/2019 at 8:33 PM, Dirté Sanchez said:

Oh sweet that'd be awesome! Speaking of frags- that pectinia matured yet? 😃

*slaps riding crop in hand* If I have to come down there, shit's gonna get real. Patience grasshoppa, patience.

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

*slaps riding crop in hand* If I have to come down there, shit's gonna get real. Patience grasshoppa, patience.

LOL. I haven't added anything in a week. Progress!!! Haven't even looked at coral sites. Now, I did look at ReefCleaners because there be nasty looking sand in both tanks, and I don't think I have enough sifters. Looking at multiple sites I don't think I ever put the CUC together correctly. But I haven't purchased a single thing. Be proud of me!! Someday maybe I'll be cool as y'all!

• Haha 3
Just now, WV Reefer said:

68CB72E8-AD6C-48AA-8E67-FF76EDDB4C8A.gif.4f9d4d34e1f482ae412985fd7ef8a979.gif

Well, to go with the horses and tack. I'm not as good as M and I haven't thrown a leg over either of my horses in years because of work and because I can't stand my in laws, where they live, but yeah- riding crops can be super fun..... 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Well, to go with the horses and tack. I'm not as good as M and I haven't thrown a leg over either of my horses in years because of work and because I can't stand my in laws, where they live, but yeah- riding crops can be super fun..... 😜

EC6EB198-C5C4-4378-91C8-9E86281B4483.gif.55cb211d288969c10c690135554826e0.gif

• Haha 4
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm