Coral Vue Hydros

Rain's Reef Tanquito: New additions! New pics! :D

Rain24

My new blasto didn't open up as much the day after I brought it home.  Day after and it was happy as it could be, hopefully yours will do the same.

7 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

My new blasto didn't open up as much the day after I brought it home.  Day after and it was happy as it could be, hopefully yours will do the same.

Experiment One is opening up now! And that red and blue one is just fat and happy! :wub:

• Like 1
HammerLover

Its funny how those LPS will look like tiny blobs of jelly in the jar when the water was out haha. That's how my elegances used too look like.

the peroxide treatment was a good call. Natalia's experience warns us to be aggresive with algae and remove it as much as we can. Although I found xenia and anthelia to be very sensitive with peroxide, even just a small amount.

those blastos looks nice! 

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca
20 hours ago, Rain24 said:

How is your flucon dosing coming along? I keep seeing tiny whitish strands of I don't know what in my jar. I need to get used to changing water so I can pull the rock out and peroxide those spots. Also, there are tons of tiny bubbles that are driving me bananas.

The red and blue one is my baby. When it recedes, you can totally see it's skeleton, so I'm going to try to nurse it through. When it's fat though, it looks okay. I wonder how long before blastos make new heads?

Finally getting around to answering your questions.  I discontinued flucon dosing after 54 days because it was evidently not having any further impact on the one variety of GHA that I still had. I'm glad I continued peroxide spot treatments during the flucon treatment, it could have gotten ugly if I hadn't. 

You shouldn't have to remove your rocks to do peroxide treatments.  Just get a long forceps or tongs, dip a Q-tip in peroxide, pick it up with the forceps/tongs, and you can treat almost any spot in your tank once the water has been emptied out for water changes.

When you talk about bubbles, do you mean the ones associated with possible dinoflagellates?  If so, they should hopefully diminish with 100% water changes and detritus removal.

Re: blasto growth, just keep target feeding them and they'll grow. LPS corals are pretty predictable that way. My witches wheel acan is starting to grow some new heads because I've been giving it some pellets in between feeding the rest of the bowl :)

On 4/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, HammerLover said:

Its funny how those LPS will look like tiny blobs of jelly in the jar when the water was out haha. That's how my elegances used too look like.

the peroxide treatment was a good call. Natalia's experience warns us to be aggresive with algae and remove it as much as we can. Although I found xenia and anthelia to be very sensitive with peroxide, even just a small amount.

those blastos looks nice! 

Thanks! I love these blastos. I'm going to get more if I find pretty ones again.

Regarding the hammer, I was just so worried that it looked like a big blob of jelly compared to its skeleton. The whole time I was changing water I kept staring at it going "Aaaaaah! It's gonna tear!!!" Like natalia said, it's totally fine.

I have more peroxide treatments to do. I keep seeing little hairs popping up. My issue is that once I drain the water I can't remember where they all are. :unsure:

23 hours ago, natalia_la_loca said:

Finally getting around to answering your questions.  I discontinued flucon dosing after 54 days because it was evidently not having any further impact on the one variety of GHA that I still had. I'm glad I continued peroxide spot treatments during the flucon treatment, it could have gotten ugly if I hadn't. 

You shouldn't have to remove your rocks to do peroxide treatments.  Just get a long forceps or tongs, dip a Q-tip in peroxide, pick it up with the forceps/tongs, and you can treat almost any spot in your tank once the water has been emptied out for water changes.

When you talk about bubbles, do you mean the ones associated with possible dinoflagellates?  If so, they should hopefully diminish with 100% water changes and detritus removal.

Re: blasto growth, just keep target feeding them and they'll grow. LPS corals are pretty predictable that way. My witches wheel acan is starting to grow some new heads because I've been giving it some pellets in between feeding the rest of the bowl :)

Thanks, @natalia_la_loca! My husband keeps telling me to do SOMETHING about the tiny hairs of algae he sees in the jar. He's still not over our bryopsis fight from the last tank. Might be too early for heavy guns like flucon for me, but you never know. I wanted to be ready. I hope you update us on how the tank does without the flucon.

I just keep seeing bubbles on the rock surfaces. They're normally gone in the morning but build up during the day. Yesterday a few were on the bird's nest. I took a pipette and blew them away. I will keep at the water changes and blowing my rocks beforehand.

I was wondering - if I was really good at target feeding the blasto heads and they take the piece of mysis I offer without letting any float away, would I still have to do water changes? One blasto head in particular could use a little help growing. It's only partially attached to its skeleton although it does fatten up beyond it when it's fully inflated. I wanted to try feeding it maybe 2 to 3 times a week but still only change water once a week. They take pellets? Which pellets do you use? I just love feeding LPS. I miss my acans and these blastos are kind of my mini acans. :lol:

Oh my gosh,  I love your new blastos!  Great colors :wub:.  They do love to eat!  I don't directly feed mine since they are really good at catching food floating by.  But in a tiny tank like yours, target feeding would be the best choice.  I don't see a problem with feeding 2 to 3 times a week and sticking to your once a week water change.

• Like 2
Just now, gena said:

Oh my gosh,  I love your new blastos!  Great colors :wub:.  They do love to eat!  I don't directly feed mine since they are really good at catching food floating by.  But in a tiny tank like yours, target feeding would be the best choice.  I don't see a problem with feeding 2 to 3 times a week and sticking to your once a week water change.

Thanks! I wish I had taken a pic of the green ones when I got them. They were scrunched up green blobs of I-didn't-know-what (plus algae). And look at him now. Experiment One (my nickname for the green one) might have two baby heads forming!

Oh and guess what MY new hobby is going to be? LOL!!! Where's my mysis? I'm going to feed all the things blastos! omgomgomg

I was worried about feeding more than once a week since this jar doesn't have a filter. I'm still getting used to that concept!

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Thanks! I wish I had taken a pic of the green ones when I got them. They were scrunched up green blobs of I-didn't-know-what (plus algae). And look at him now. Experiment One (my nickname for the green one) might have two baby heads forming!

Oh and guess what MY new hobby is going to be? LOL!!! Where's my mysis? I'm going to feed all the things blastos! omgomgomg

I was worried about feeding more than once a week since this jar doesn't have a filter. I'm still getting used to that concept!

Experiment One is a BEAUTY! 

You can overfeed the corals themselves.  I've heard of food rotting in them :scarry:.  So feed one pellet or mysis to one head.  You could do that 2 or 3 times a week without issue.  From my experience.  I wouldn't make it a new hobby.  I love your other hobbies too much :).

:lol:

6 minutes ago, gena said:

Experiment One is a BEAUTY! 

You can overfeed the corals themselves.  I've heard of food rotting in them :scarry:.  So feed one pellet or mysis to one head.  You could do that 2 or 3 times a week without issue.  From my experience.  I wouldn't make it a new hobby.  I love your other hobbies too much :).

Ack! Food can rot IN them??? Okay, I'll just shoot for 2x a week at first and see what happens, althought 3x a week would be awesome. I just do NOT want to add to any algae issues.

What pellets do you feed LPS? The blastos have smaller mouths than I'm used to. :lol:

The red and blue one needs some TLC. I want it to grow another head or two. Having just one head of something makes me nervous. :scarry:

You know what's been calling to me? They had these single heads of dendros at the LFS. So pretty. I wonder if it's too early to have one?

3 hours ago, Rain24 said:

Ack! Food can rot IN them??? Okay, I'll just shoot for 2x a week at first and see what happens, althought 3x a week would be awesome. I just do NOT want to add to any algae issues.

What pellets do you feed LPS? The blastos have smaller mouths than I'm used to. :lol:

The red and blue one needs some TLC. I want it to grow another head or two. Having just one head of something makes me nervous. :scarry:

You know what's been calling to me? They had these single heads of dendros at the LFS. So pretty. I wonder if it's too early to have one?

Yep...that's what I've been told.  Pretty gross huh? :wacko:

I don't personally use pellets.  I think they pollute tanks faster than frozen foods.  I stick with frozen mysis.  The mouths are small but you'd be surprised how big a piece of mysis they can fit in LOL.

Dendros are pretty easy in my experience.  Only drawback is you have to feed each and every head.  Not a big deal until you get a big colony of them.  Like with blastos, you don't have to feed every head, which is a good thing :).

15 minutes ago, gena said:

Yep...that's what I've been told.  Pretty gross huh? :wacko:

I don't personally use pellets.  I think they pollute tanks faster than frozen foods.  I stick with frozen mysis.  The mouths are small but you'd be surprised how big a piece of mysis they can fit in LOL.

Dendros are pretty easy in my experience.  Only drawback is you have to feed each and every head.  Not a big deal until you get a big colony of them.  Like with blastos, you don't have to feed every head, which is a good thing :).

So. Gross.

Okay, I have mysis anyway. Saves me from yet another Amazon order. Experiment One just spit up a piece of mysis. Or rather, one of his heads did. Bad blasto! BAD! LOL

I think my hammer might have baby hammer buds at the base. I thought they were some kind of pest when I first brought it home so I attacked them with peroxide, but one of them is totally there again and fleshy and wavy. It's so cute!

I sort of wish you had said that dendros weren't easy. I have wanted either a dendro or a sun coral since my first tank. I just don't know if they'll be okay if we go away for two weeks. I'm not sure I'd trust a tank sitter with feeding mysis. (Assuming I find a tank sitter!) I sometimes have visions of us cling-wrapping the cookie jar and taking it with us on a road trip with a battery air pump strapped to it. I mean, we take the cat with us, why not the tanquito too?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I love this name. I may have to borrow it!  lol

I get stuff like that from my husband. One day I was laughing so hard when he was recalling a trip we had in the Philippines years ago. He rode the smallest horse EVER up the side of a volcano. He called it a "horsetito." :lol:

3 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I get stuff like that from my husband. One day I was laughing so hard when he was recalling a trip we had in the Philippines years ago. He rode the smallest horse EVER up the side of a volcano. He called it a "horsetito." :lol:

Frito Bandito Dorito taquito burrito horsetito tanquito

I like rhymes. :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Frito Bandito Dorito taquito burrito horsetito tanquito

I like rhymes. :D

Totally laughing right now. :lol:

Mmm...taquitos!!!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rain24 said:

So. Gross.

Okay, I have mysis anyway. Saves me from yet another Amazon order. Experiment One just spit up a piece of mysis. Or rather, one of his heads did. Bad blasto! BAD! LOL

I think my hammer might have baby hammer buds at the base. I thought they were some kind of pest when I first brought it home so I attacked them with peroxide, but one of them is totally there again and fleshy and wavy. It's so cute!

I sort of wish you had said that dendros weren't easy. I have wanted either a dendro or a sun coral since my first tank. I just don't know if they'll be okay if we go away for two weeks. I'm not sure I'd trust a tank sitter with feeding mysis. (Assuming I find a tank sitter!) I sometimes have visions of us cling-wrapping the cookie jar and taking it with us on a road trip with a battery air pump strapped to it. I mean, we take the cat with us, why not the tanquito too?

I use mini mysis.  Is that what you have? 

I think you could totally take tanquito with you on your road trip! 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gena said:

I use mini mysis.  Is that what you have? 

I think you could totally take tanquito with you on your road trip! 

I think it's mini mysis. They look pretty small to me. I mean, they're a little big for some of the blastos but they seem to manage. (The red one is better at it than the Experiment One.)

I'll have to see if they husband thinks we have room for tanquito! I don't know how we manage to pack the car full of stuff when we do a road trip, but we do! :happy:

Today I spotted a small starfish hitchhiker in the tanquito. It had 7 legs and was mostly white, about 1/2" across. I'm guessing an asterina. I can't get to it, so I'm hoping that it's the "good" kind.

I'm also not sure what I did to my bird's nest. I changed my water last Sunday and took it out of the tank along with the LR it was on so I could clean my sand bed. It was probably out of the water for 20 to 30 minutes. The tips are white about 3/4" to an inch or so down from the tops and the polyps weren't opening. Today they're coloring up again slowly but the polyps are still dark and closed. Did I leave it out of the water for too long?

I've never had a problem with any of the asterinas I've had in all my systems, I think you're probably safe. 

On the Birdsnest, yeah, probably was out of the water longer than it was comfortable with. 

• Like 1
Just now, Weetabix7 said:

I've never had a problem with any of the asterinas I've had in all my systems, I think you're probably safe. 

On the Birdsnest, yeah, probably was out of the water longer than it was comfortable with. 

I've been reading about the "safe" type of asterina and mine looks very much like the non-coral munching kind. I really hope so. I kind of like the little guy!

Please tell me I haven't killed my bird's nest. :unsure: I will be better about either leaving it in water or being faster next time. The polyps look really good everywhere else other than those tips. One branch that was pretty white is more colored up today and the polyps are opening.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

I've been reading about the "safe" type of asterina and mine looks very much like the non-coral munching kind. I really hope so. I kind of like the little guy!

Please tell me I haven't killed my bird's nest. :unsure: I will be better about either leaving it in water or being faster next time. The polyps look really good everywhere else other than those tips. One branch that was pretty white is more colored up today and the polyps are opening.

That's a good sign. 

I'd say watch those white tips and if they color back up, you're good. 

If they don't or if the white keeps spreading farther down, you should frag off the white parts. 

23 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's a good sign. 

I'd say watch those white tips and if they color back up, you're good. 

If they don't or if the white keeps spreading farther down, you should frag off the white parts. 

Thanks, Weetie!

That was originally my plan, frag if they don't recover. I'm just really hoping it gets better. Now I'm a little nervous about the next water change.

In other news - the green blasto's new heads are getting larger. The hammer has a couple of itty bitty little new buds. The red blasto is looking better, but that's the one not completely attached to the skeleton on one side so I'm wondering how long it will be before I even see new heads forming. It has a good appetite though!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Rain24 said:

Thanks, Weetie!

That was originally my plan, frag if they don't recover. I'm just really hoping it gets better. Now I'm a little nervous about the next water change.

In other news - the green blasto's new heads are getting larger. The hammer has a couple of itty bitty little new buds. The red blasto is looking better, but that's the one not completely attached to the skeleton on one side so I'm wondering how long it will be before I even see new heads forming. It has a good appetite though!

This all sounds very, very positive, so happy to see so many good things happening in your Cookie Jar!!!

• Like 1