Cultivated Reef

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

I finally stopped procrastinating and redid the hanging system for the light. I'm glad I did, I really like how it looks now. It's completely level now, and if I need to swing it out of the way to take a picture, it won't get misaligned.

20170225-untitled-001-4.jpg

Here's how it mounts in the ceiling. There are three screws in each fitting, and I used wall anchors for the screws.

20170225-untitled-001-5.jpg

• Like 13

Algae, day 11. It seems a little more compact, but I don't know if that's good or bad. I haven't dosed any additional Fluco yet, I'm going to wait and see what it looks like tomorrow night.

Algae Day 11

• Like 1

Teeny, I had a stubborn patch of Bryo that after 14 days of th eFlco treatment still hadn't budged. I moved the whole rock to the top of th tank where it got more light and stronger flow. After a day and a half it was gone!

I use a mag float (gals cleaner) to hold my frag rack down

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jonboy21 said:

Have you tried some Halloween crabs? They are currently eating their way through my algae outbreak 

I haven't tried Halloween crabs, although I love the way they look. But I have had a blue leg hermit crab in there from the start and he's never touched the stuff...

UNTIL TODAY!!!!! omgomgomg

20170226-untitled-002-2.jpg

Fingers crossed, hopefully this is a sign that the fluco has finally weakened the algae enough for it to be tasty to algae eaters.

• Like 9

I like how we found Stella here in my thread, NOT IN HER OWN THREAD THAT SHE REFUSES TO UPDATE.

Hi Stella :flower:

17 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Was it the hermit crab?  

I think the fluco weakened the algae enough that algae eaters now want to scarf it up. The hermit crab sat on it eating algae for about two hours and pretty much cleared off half of the frag. Then he went in a corner. He probably had a stomach ache :lol:

• Like 9
32 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I like how we found Stella here in my thread, NOT IN HER OWN THREAD THAT SHE REFUSES TO UPDATE.

Hi Stella :flower:

I think the fluco weakened the algae enough that algae eaters now want to scarf it up. The hermit crab sat on it eating algae for about two hours and pretty much cleared off half of the frag. Then he went in a corner. He probably had a stomach ache :lol:

:flower: hi teeny!! I popped in to update my thread and saw this thread and thought whaaaaaaaaattttt?!? I needed to make a pitstop and check it out!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, stellablue said:

:flower: hi teeny!! I popped in to update my thread and saw this thread and thought whaaaaaaaaattttt?!? I needed to make a pitstop and check it out!

Yay! I'm glad you're back :)

• Like 1

Here's Day 13. Not much change from yesterday but I think there's been some minor improvement. For example, the polyp on the left no longer has any gha on it, and there were lots of little hairs yesterday.

The decision I have to make next is whether to just let it run for another week after the 14 day treatment, or if I should clean everything out with a water change and some carbon, and then run a second 14 day treatment. The reports indicate that Floconazole works for gha but it just takes longer. And that seems to be what I'm seeing here.

Algae Day 13

• Like 9

I agree! If their cell structure is already compromised, just focus on making the environment inhabitable. Clean up whatever nutrients built up, get your skimmer running, do a water change and replace some trace elements, etc. Your corals will do some allelopathy for you, discouraging nearby algae growth, if they're particularly happy. :)

And then once things are going smoothly again, KILL IT WITH FIRE FLUCO

• Like 1