Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

StinkyBunny

Unfortunately white is the natural colour of HDPE manufactured egg crate. In order to do them in clear they would have to be made from acrylic which would be cost prohibitive and I'm not entirely sure it could be done with an existing mould or die.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Unfortunately white is the natural colour of HDPE manufactured egg crate. In order to do them in clear they would have to be made from acrylic which would be cost prohibitive and I'm not entirely sure it could be done with an existing mould or die.

But it would be so cool B)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pappadumplingz said:

So is this tank a coral storage atm? And long time no talk, hope all the tanks are thriving.

Hi and welcome back!

I'm not sure what the answer to your question will turn out to be :lol:

I started this tank as a replacement for my 4g frag tank which was always infested with really bad algae that actively prevented corals from living. So I figured, get a bigger tank with a sump and everything, and I won't have all those algae problems any more. Then the algae followed into this tank :mellow:. But Fluconazole is killing it :D

I still plan for this primarily to be a frag tank, but it's such a pretty tank to begin with I'm having a hard time just leaving it as an ugly functional tank filled with egg crate. So I'm going to put some rocks in, and try to make the egg crate look at least OK. And I may end up gluing some frags onto the rocks. And of course I'll have some fish. So it'll probably end up being a display tank sooner or later :rolleyes:

• Like 5
pappadumplingz

\

Just now, teenyreef said:

Hi and welcome back!

I'm not sure what the answer to your question will turn out to be :lol:

I started this tank as a replacement for my 4g frag tank which was always infested with really bad algae that actively prevented corals from living. So I figured, get a bigger tank with a sump and everything, and I won't have all those algae problems any more. Then the algae followed into this tank :mellow:. But Fluconazole is killing it :D

I still plan for this primarily to be a frag tank, but it's such a pretty tank to begin with I'm having a hard time just leaving it as an ugly functional tank filled with egg crate. So I'm going to put some rocks in, and try to make the egg crate look at least OK. And I may end up gluing some frags onto the rocks. And of course I'll have some fish. So it'll probably end up being a display tank sooner or later :rolleyes:

You lucked out with the price tho. Something that big here brand new, easily 1000$. Not enough of a market here for complete setups to be so cheap.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
7 minutes ago, pappadumplingz said:

You lucked out with the price tho. Something that big here brand new, easily 1000$. Not enough of a market here for complete setups to be so cheap.

It is sickening how expensive supplies and hardware is there. I frequent The Reefuge and I got quite an eye full from the people there.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It is sickening how expensive supplies and hardware is there. I frequent The Reefuge and I got quite an eye full from the people there.

The struggle is real. I wanna get this light by SB Reefs, and it seems to be the cheapest option out there compared to all the other crap here, but I don't it comes in the Aus power plug, so I'm probably get the a80, which will probs cost over 200 bucks with the gooseneck.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
4 minutes ago, pappadumplingz said:

The struggle is real. I wanna get this light by SB Reefs, and it seems to be the cheapest option out there compared to all the other crap here, but I don't it comes in the Aus power plug, so I'm probably get the a80, which will probs cost over 200 bucks with the gooseneck.

I would ask them, if it has the standard plug, you could swap swap the plug/cords. Ask them what the input voltage is just to be safe.

• Like 2
pappadumplingz
5 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I would ask them, if it has the standard plug, you could swap swap the plug/cords. Ask them what the input voltage is just to be safe.

It seems to be that since its one of those mars aqua style leds, it has removable cords, but I will ask about the voltage.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Hi and welcome back!

Hope the kangaroo didn't hurt you to bad :lol:

Fixed it for you Teeny ;) 

• Like 2

I received a few corals from @natalia_la_loca's incredible reef bowl today! I can tell you the corals look just as good in real life in my tank as they do in her reef bowl :)

Bubblegum Digitata :wub:

Bubblegum Digitata

Tricolor acro, with bonus photobomb by the Emmett the Emerald Crab:

20170310-untitled-021.jpg

And just to show how well the zoas are starting to recover from being all closed up during the algae outbreak, these are one of the fire and ice frags, doing great now! I can only see one tiny strand of algae left on this particular frag.

20170310-untitled-029.jpg

• Like 7

Looks good Teeny.

1 hour ago, pappadumplingz said:

Super jelly. You make me wanna by some more zoas and sps.

You cant afford it................

• Like 2

Damn Teeny,

I'm just getting caught up on this thread and your new tank. This is great! Congrats on getting it up and running! 

Are the IM 40 and 10s still going as well? 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Tuffryu said:

Damn Teeny,

I'm just getting caught up on this thread and your new tank. This is great! Congrats on getting it up and running! 

Are the IM 40 and 10s still going as well? 

Yep, they're still up! 

• Like 1

So what was your process of dosing the stuff,I can't rememeber if you said you turned off your skimmer and stopped running carbon. Im assuming it pissed off the Zoa's ? 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

So what was your process of dosing the stuff,I can't rememeber if you said you turned off your skimmer and stopped running carbon. Im assuming it pissed off the Zoa's ? 

No, the algae pissed off the zoas, it's truly evil stuff. There's a great checklist of instructions here (scroll down past the pictures):

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

5 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Great to see that the algae on the zoas is gone. I had that problem for a while, and hated it.

Thanks! It seems like there's always something to deal with, but this particular algae has been very toxic for the corals and pretty much impossible to get rid of. 

Nano sapiens
4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks! It seems like there's always something to deal with, but this particular algae has been very toxic for the corals and pretty much impossible to get rid of. 

Great to hear that you are getting the upper hand on the algae issue.

• Like 1

WARNING: HUGE PICTURE DUMP AHEAD :P

So I decided that since the algae seems to be on the way out, it's finally time to put rocks and egg crate in the tank so it can start doing a mini cycle. I already have a bio brick in the sump, and I'm using dry rock, so there shouldn't be an actual ammonia cycle. But I fully expect to go through all the stages of Ugly Tank Syndrome, especially with dry rock.

After thinking it over for some time, I went with black egg crate, cut to fit around the rocks that I cemented together a few weeks ago. After putting them together, I rinsed them and then soaked them for about a week in RODI water, then let them dry for another week.

I taped some paper on top of the 2' x 2' eggcrate, and covered it with clear packing tape to keep it from tearing when I put the rocks on it.

20170311_184230.jpg

Here's the layout of the rocks:

20170311_184336.jpg

Then I used a Sharpie to outline the rocks.

20170311_184924.jpg

20170311_185014.jpg

Then it was just a matter of cutting along the lines with a rotary cutter. I made one big cut from one side to the other so that I could put the egg crate into the tank in two pieces.

20170311_185657.jpg

Here's what that top piece looks like underneath.

20170311_185746.jpg

All done!

20170311_191737.jpg

Test fit:

20170311_191908.jpg

After the test fit, I cut off the upper right corner to allow room for the overflow, and trimmed the sides about 1/2" shorter with a table saw, so it would fit in the tank. Then I put on some standoffs, using the posts from the two part frag discs made by @Maui's Reef

20170311_202736.jpg

Here's the larger piece with all the standoffs in place:

20170311_202746.jpg

In the tank - I just put the old frags in wherever...sorry for the blue cell phone pics.

20170311_204000.jpg

The rocks fit!!!

20170311_204744.jpg

• Like 10

My daughter's back home on spring break, so we have the grandpup home again too. Presley hung out with me and was a big help :)

20170311_205725.jpg

Partial top down:

2017-03-11 DB30 Top Down

FTS:

2017-03-11 DB30 FTS

Top Down:

2017-03-11 DB30 Top Down

• Like 14