inTank Media Baskets

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

StinkyBunny
On 4/2/2017 at 9:24 AM, Pjanssen said:

Do you have them to sell? I tried a red scooter once and he didn't make it. I always feel so bad when I get a fish and it dies.

Yes i sell them. I don't like to bring them in because they just don't do well for me. The regular Scooties do much better.

On 4/2/2017 at 10:41 AM, teenyreef said:

I had one once, and it did well for a couple months, eating frozen mysis and brine shrimp. It was a lot of fun to watch him bury himself in the sand, and I panicked more than once when I couldn't find him in the morning because he was so well hidden. And then one day he just died for no apparent reason. But he was a great fish while he lasted.

That's the way they go for me too, good for a while then they're gone. I do them like the others, 10 day Prazi, then

On 4/2/2017 at 1:21 PM, gena said:

Awwww...blueberry.  So cute!  I will wait to see how yours behaves after some time in the tank.  If it does well, I WANT one lol.  I need a swimmy fish :).

They're perfect, peaceful and colourful for the 11,967,356th time.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, gena said:

hahaha...I'm convinced ;).

Blueberry has been great! He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite fish, bright, colorful, cute, swimmy, and gets along with the other fish. Plus he eats pests.

11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

How did I miss this new thread!! :flower:

Thanks, Kimberbee! I hope you didn't wade through all twenty pages of pictures of the same algae-infested frag plug :lol:

• Like 1
18 hours ago, kimberbee said:

How did I miss this new thread!! :flower:

Sniffing glue while making bottle caps ? :unsure: 

Good to hear the fish is working out !

• Like 3
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Blueberry has been great! He's rapidly becoming one of my favorite fish, bright, colorful, cute, swimmy, and gets along with the other fish. Plus he eats pests.

Thanks, Kimberbee! I hope you didn't wade through all twenty pages of pictures of the same algae-infested frag plug :lol:

Actually I did... It's been a slow week at work! :happy:

• Like 3
12 hours ago, spectra said:

Sniffing glue while making bottle caps ? :unsure: 

Good to hear the fish is working out !

Yeah, I'm really happy I decided to get him, I had almost decide not to bother since no one had them locally, but then my favorite lfs told me they had put in an order for some because both me and one of their employees wanted some :)

11 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Actually I did... It's been a slow week at work! :happy:

Wow, that's a seriously slow week :lol:

Hopefully I can post some pictures of actual corals soon. I put some test sps frags in last night and today, a blue digi frag, some setosa frags, and a tiny booger sized frag of some kind of acro that broke off from another frag. The digi and setosa should be pretty much indestructible, so if they don't like the tank I should be able to move them out in time for them to recover.

• Like 4

I need a frag tank................people keep asking for frags and well I don't want to pull stuff from my 100...............

I am on the search but just what I need another tank.............................

• Like 3
On 4/6/2017 at 8:14 PM, spectra said:

I need a frag tank................people keep asking for frags and well I don't want to pull stuff from my 100...............

I am on the search but just what I need another tank.............................

I had a frag tank and thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever. I ended up selling it less than a year later

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Hirsh said:

I had a frag tank and thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever. I ended up selling it less than a year later

Well I have 3 tanks now :lol: so whats another one.........

Hell I just need a frag tank so I can sell things......I hate taking things out of the display.

• Like 2

Sounds so terrible lol.

BTW Spectra, your lagoon tank is top grade. Im getting ready to start the 25 gallon and can't wait. Read your whole thread and it really inspired me. If the 50 wasn't so much more, it would be doing it.

• Like 3
On 4/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, Gramophone said:

Lovin' those zoanthids :wub:

Thanks! And welcome back :D

I was really encouraged when I checked parameters the other day. Phosphates have stayed low without using gfo, and nitrates are finally above zero, which I credit to the evil algae going away, and no longer consuming all the nitrates. So I think things are getting into balance. 

A few more days should show whether the sps is doing well but so far so good! 

• Like 3

Nothing has died in the sps department so I'm cautiously optimistic :)

Btw, the Coralbox D300 skimmer is a beast. It's quiet, runs consistently without overflowing, and pulls nice dark nasty stinky skimmate.

20170409_185529.jpg

This is about a week's worth of skimmate, running nice and dry. The only reason I had to empty it was to take care of the smell :D

• Like 8
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Add some vinegar or vodka if you really wanna have it smell like boiled ass.

Lol, that's true! Fortunately nitrates are holding at .25 right now, so I definitely don't need to do any carbon dosing. My problem was the opposite for a long time, the algae was sucking it all up and sps and softies didn't like the water because there were no nitrates.

StinkyBunny

I got a bunch of leathers in the last Solomons shipment that were really shedding badly. I woke up in the middle of the night and the smell was horrible coming from the reef room, I had to clean the skimmer at 2am, lol.

• Like 2

Hmmmm, I'm getting a little bit of an algae/cyano bloom. Red stringy cyano on the rocks, and some algae on the frag plugs. I'm not sure if it's the same gha that caused problems before, or if it's just a more "normal" algae bloom.

Either way, I dipped the worst of the plugs in peroxide, and I've been blowing off the rocks regularly.

Phosphates were a little high when I checked, at .08. I'm dosing PhosphateRx to bring it back down around .03, and we'll see if that helps. If necessary, I've got Chemiclean and I'm not afarid to use it on the cyano :)

• Like 3

I got back from vacation last Sunday night, and the red cyano was in full bloom. I blew as much off the rocks as I could, and did a round of chemiclean. After two days, it looks a lot better, but I'm starting to get hair algae on the egg crate. I can't tell yet if the algae eaters are going for it, but I think they probably aren't since they would normally keep it at bay if they liked to eat it.

I'm debating between leaving it for another week just to see what happens, doing another round of Fluco, or trying a sea hare.

On 4/22/2017 at 9:14 AM, StinkyBunny said:

I'll trade ya, I got dynos. When I order Australia, I might as well figure on dealing with them.

No thanks! Dinos are the spawn of the devil.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

5ml of vinegar for a week usually gets rid of cyano for me. I think that the bacteria that feeds on the vinegar and cyano use the same pathways and the bacteria outstrips the cyano's food supply. Just a theory that works for me.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

5ml of vinegar for a week usually gets rid of cyano for me. I think that the bacteria that feeds on the vinegar and cyano use the same pathways and the bacteria outstrips the cyano's food supply. Just a theory that works for me.

Running 1 gallon in my 10 now :blink: I think the cyano is gone now :lol: garage smells a little funny...........

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
teenyreef

The chemiclean helped but the cyano bounced back almost immediately. Since I had to go out of town, I just left it, and when I got back I started blowing off the rocks and racks twice a day. There's pretty much no sign of cyano now, and although there's a fair amount of hair algae, it's not the evil stuff that keeps the zoas closed that I had before. I think I'm going to just keep up with regular cleaning and see how much it clears up on it's own as the tank gets balanced out and more mature.

Not much to show in terms of coral frags since I'm not keeping anything in here that I'm not willing to lose. But here's a current FTS:

2017-05-07 DB30 FTS

All three fish are in this fts, if you look carefully you'll see The Lorax sticking his head out from under the rocks in the front.

• Like 9