Top Shelf Aquatics

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

46 minutes ago, jstuver said:

Very cool!!! Love how that turned out!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it, and I should be able to remove the egg crate from around the rocks for cleaning or to get to things underneath it.

Here's Day 9. There seems to be some regrowth. Maybe spores from the previous generation are coming to life as the old stuff dies?

Algae Day 9 (Round 2)

• Like 2
8 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Where is that rock from? Might be worth it to zap it again with peroxide.

Do you mean the dry rock? I got it from Reefcleaners. I've had good luck with their rock so far.

5 hours ago, tinyforest said:

Everything looking good! Love the frags. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the coralline to start taking over our dry rock.

Thanks! I'll probably bring in a couple little chunks from the 40g, it has awesome plating coralline that would be nice to have in this tank too.

And here's Day 10 on the test frag. So hard to be patient...

Algae Day 10 (Round 2)

• Like 2
natalia_la_loca

I remain unconvinced that fluconazole will get rid of all types of GHA permanently. I think it needs to be applied in conjunction with other remedies, e.g. peroxide.

I'm seeing regrowth too, but in ever-smaller amounts each time I do a peroxide treatment.  It doesn't seem to bounce back like it did before.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, natalia_la_loca said:

I remain unconvinced that fluconazole will get rid of all types of GHA permanently. I think it needs to be applied in conjunction with other remedies, e.g. peroxide.

I'm seeing regrowth too, but in ever-smaller amounts each time I do a peroxide treatment.  It doesn't seem to bounce back like it did before.

That seems to be the case for me, at least so far. It wouldn't hurt to have an algae eating fish in this tank, too.

Speaking of fish, I haven't gotten any yet because I was waiting to put the rocks in, and because I'm waiting for the top from Artfully Acrylic. They've been emailing me about dimensions, so hopefully I'll be getting it soon!

• Like 3
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That seems to be the case for me, at least so far. It wouldn't hurt to have an algae eating fish in this tank, too.

Speaking of fish, I haven't gotten any yet because I was waiting to put the rocks in, and because I'm waiting for the top from Artfully Acrylic. They've been emailing me about dimensions, so hopefully I'll be getting it soon!

They only jump once :blink: 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Per fish :( why are fish so stupid? 

Just got shipping notification for the top! :happydance:

Thoughts on fish? Need an algae eater and a pest eater that fit in a 30g, are ok with bare bottom, and won't eat corals. Go! 

• Like 6

Well for pests a sixline would be great but there assholes :lol: nice fish though.........

algae well my lawnmower is fat but I still have algae in the tank :rolleyes:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Per fish :( why are fish so stupid? 

Just got shipping notification for the top! :happydance:

Thoughts on fish? Need an algae eater and a pest eater that fit in a 30g, are ok with bare bottom, and won't eat corals. Go! 

Lawnmower and Possum?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Well for pests a sixline would be great but there assholes :lol: nice fish though.........

algae well my lawnmower is fat but I still have algae in the tank :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm thinking no dicks in this tank :lol:

34 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Lawnmower and Possum?

That's two votes for lawnmower :)

30 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

yellow coris is good for pest but man they eat and grow fast

I was thinking about one of those but don't they need sand?

Here's Day 11. Still waiting for the second generation pf algae to be affected :(

Algae Day 11 (Round 2)

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Nope. Mine always wedged themselves in the rocks to sleep.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

yellow coris is good for pest but man they eat and grow fast

I thought of this too, but I believe they need sand to sleep in. 

6 hours ago, Arkayology said:

Hmmmmm.....

I really liked the one I had eons ago....

• Like 1
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah, I'm thinking no dicks in this tank :lol:

That's two votes for lawnmower :)

Here's Day 11. Still waiting for the second generation pf algae to be affected :(

Algae Day 11 (Round 2)

Man, that is some super resistant algae Teeny

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
10 hours ago, spectra said:

Everybody wants some, they just don't want it smart. ;)

You know, the last batch of 6 lines I got out of The Philippines have been model citizens teeny. Matara wrasses seem to be good at eradicating critters as well, but they MUST have soft sand to sleep in. Look around for a Springer's damsel, another good one for eating flatworms and red bugs. Best of all they're not assholes at all. Any of the small blennies would be nice for algae, bicolour, tailspot, Starry or lawnmower.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, StinkyBunny said:

Everybody wants some, they just don't want it smart. ;)

You know, the last batch of 6 lines I got out of The Philippines have been model citizens teeny. Matara wrasses seem to be good at eradicating critters as well, but they MUST have soft sand to sleep in. Look around for a Springer's damsel, another good one for eating flatworms and red bugs. Best of all they're not assholes at all. Any of the small blennies would be nice for algae, bicolour, tailspot, Starry or lawnmower.

I had a sixline in my 20 and it was a model citizen also.......to be honest I have never had a bad one.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Arkayology said:

Thanks, Indy! And nice to hear from you :)

I may try a yellow coris wrasse based on this. If he turns out to be unhappy, I'll move him to the 40g tank. I never replaced the Tanaka's in there, so there's room.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

You sure the second generation isn't a cyano of some sort, feeding off of the dying Gen 1?

It's hard to say, but in general there's more "normal" algae all over the tank. But at least some of the algae on the test frag looks just like the old stuff. 

I just checked tracking and the new lid arrives today! So I think the first fish to go in will be an algae eater. Maybe a starry or lawnmower blenny. 

• Like 6
StinkyBunny

Damn it, why you gotta be just that far away. I'd let you test critters. I keep some sort of wrasse in each of the coral QT systems to dispatch any cooties the dip misses, I don't use Bayer and I won't. It's wild to watch them smash open a snail on a rock and eat the escargot goodness they unwrapped, lol. They're ever vigilant for a snack. good ones are melanurus wrasses ( Hoeven's), Yellow coris, 6 line and Leopard. You have to be VERY careful with Leopard wrasses to be sure they're eating and not a new import. I keep a "teacher" wrasse so they start eating almost immediately. When in doubt ask to see them eat, mine snarf up mysis to start, then they go for my home made food. Most wrasses are gonna need sand to bury themselves in at night, Leopards are a definite in that category.

• Like 2

Love my starry and my six line, but some of the other wrasses are just awesome too. A local Reefer has some sort of super fancy fairy wrasse, can't remember the name though. It's incredible. My six is a model citizen, btw. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Damn it, why you gotta be just that far away. I'd let you test critters. I keep some sort of wrasse in each of the coral QT systems to dispatch any cooties the dip misses, I don't use Bayer and I won't. It's wild to watch them smash open a snail on a rock and eat the escargot goodness they unwrapped, lol. They're ever vigilant for a snack. good ones are melanurus wrasses ( Hoeven's), Yellow coris, 6 line and Leopard. You have to be VERY careful with Leopard wrasses to be sure they're eating and not a new import. I keep a "teacher" wrasse so they start eating almost immediately. When in doubt ask to see them eat, mine snarf up mysis to start, then they go for my home made food. Most wrasses are gonna need sand to bury themselves in at night, Leopards are a definite in that category.

Ha ha, if you lived closer to me you'd be rich and I'd be broke :lol:

Seriously though I appreciate the offer and all the good advice. I've pretty much decided on a yellow coris wrasse, with caution, based on Indy's feedback that it may do OK with just rocks. If it doesn't seem happy I'll just move it to the 40g tank which needs a wrasse anyway.

For a Blenny, I'm thinking either a Starry Blenny or a Bicolor. I love tailspots but I've had them before and mine weren't really algae eating machines, probably just too small to make much difference. But like you said, most any of the smaller blennys should be OK, so it may just depend on what they have at the lfs.