Pod Your Reef

Wiggles' Biocube 16 w/ Steve's 42W LED Upgrade: The Next Generation

Cpl_Wiggles

On 12/31/2017 at 7:48 AM, Jackal227 said:

Which sicce pump did you get, any issues fitting in the chamber?  Also, what powerhead are you using? 

Model 1.0, 251 gph. Fit in there perfectly. 

Hydor Nano 240 I think. Now have the Nano down low near surface leven to help keep particles from settling.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I starved my chaeto of nutrients and/or the water got too clean. It's gone from a large softball sized growing chunk I trimmed back to a tennis ball. 

Been feeding freeze dried brine shrimp up top - it doesn't really sink into the tank - I would think the chaeto would get some of that.

Awesome progress so far, the chaeto is either not enough nutes (feed more or filter less) or not enought lighting (fat ball needs trimming to expose more growth), prolly the former like you said!

26 minutes ago, rO.oster said:

Awesome progress so far, the chaeto is either not enough nutes (feed more or filter less) or not enought lighting (fat ball needs trimming to expose more growth), prolly the former like you said!

Feeding suggestions?

Oh, just maybe an extra pellet or two for starters?  Definetly dont allow large buildups of extra food but see if you can ease into more nutrient introduction, and if your cheato responds to the change in balance.

• Like 1
On 1/23/2018 at 10:32 PM, rO.oster said:

Oh, just maybe an extra pellet or two for starters?  Definetly dont allow large buildups of extra food but see if you can ease into more nutrient introduction, and if your cheato responds to the change in balance.

I also realized today I need to have rubble at the bottom to help feed my chaeto since so much is caught by my filter floss. I've been starving it...

• 1 month later...
Cpl_Wiggles

Update. Took a job from Iowa to California. Shutting down the tank and starting my friend on a small 6 gallon tank.

I will take lessons learned and start again. Once I get settled out there in Tulare County.

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

Update: 

I have settled into Central Valley in California. The shut-down of my tank went well. My corals and fish were successfully gifted to a friend, so started his own 8 gallon tank, which I have attached:

7632149164799447774.jpg.a125b844f0e154d0a5bdbebd0f2cf594.jpg

You can see the GSP, Duncan, Frogspawn, Zoas, and mushrooms from my old tank have flourished. As I settle into the area, I plan to re-start the Biocube 16. I will be sending in my LED array to Steve's LED to get the Iridescence Booster modification installed, as well as determine my source of good RODI water here in the Valley. Will probably buy my own filter set from BRS. I will attempt to source my livestock locally and support the hobby, most likely in the Fresno area, perhaps a trip to LA.

• 4 months later...
  • Cpl_Wiggles changed the title to Wiggles' LED Biocube 16: The Next Generation
2 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

Welcome back.  Any new plans for the tank? 

Still brainstorming. The LFS in Visalia is pretty impressive and I plan on giving that gentleman alot of my business. He has a personal tank with the biggest purple hornets I've ever seen. 

I do know that I've always wanted a carpet of GSP along the back of the tank like @banasophia has going on. Seeing your success with SPS, I might try the same. 

Talking to the LFS guy he was not a fan of Chemipure or Phosgard or alot of the stuff people have had success with here - and really only encouraged Polyfilter and dosing to maintain Calcium, Mag, and Alk coupled with frequent water changes. 

He did test my BRS carbon I had and informed me that it was leeching phosphate like crazy. So good info for those who have phosphate spikes - check your carbon!

6 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Talking to the LFS guy he was not a fan of Chemipure or Phosgard or alot of the stuff people have had success with here - and really only encouraged Polyfilter and dosing to maintain Calcium, Mag, and Alk coupled with frequent water changes. 

I stopped running Phosguard after my tank crash.  I believe that my corals are 'more open' without it.  The LPS seem to be puffier then they ever were before. 

I do still run carbon (seachem matrix carbon) regularly to keep the water clear.  However, I think that the tank would probably be fine without it.  I also keep a bag of purigen in as well.  It's been in for almost a year and hasn't changed color yet so it seems to last a long time. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

I stopped running Phosguard after my tank crash.  I believe that my corals are 'more open' without it.  The LPS seem to be puffier then they ever were before. 

I do still run carbon (seachem matrix carbon) regularly to keep the water clear.  However, I think that the tank would probably be fine without it.  I also keep a bag of purigen in as well.  It's been in for almost a year and hasn't changed color yet so it seems to last a long time. 

So many options out there. Current plan:

Known:

Steve's LED 42W with violet LED in hood

Polyfiber and Phosphate free GAC (Granular Activated Carbon)

Bought my own RO/DI unit (link below - $70) and had the water tested - good to go

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LKF09IW 

Reef Crystals Salt (unchanged)

Same Pump

Same Heater

Unknown:

Add GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) to GAC to fight phosphates - or just use phosphate free carbon?

Going to need a chiller (Chill Solutions?) I saw @banasophia was using one - how is it? 

Dosing 2 Part? Maybe? What benefits have you seen? 

Kalkwasser?

https://www.amazon.com/Jecod-DP-2-Programmable-Dosing-Channel/dp/B01KANTID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547751439&sr=8-1&keywords=2+part+doser

7 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Known:

Bought my own RO/DI unit (link below - $70) and had the water tested - good to go

Same Pump

Same Heater

Unknown:

Add GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide) to GAC to fight phosphates - or just use phosphate free carbon?

Going to need a chiller (Chill Solutions?) I saw @banasophia was using one - how is it? 

Kalkwasser?

https://www.amazon.com/Jecod-DP-2-Programmable-Dosing-Channel/dp/B01KANTID6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1547751439&sr=8-1&keywords=2+part+doser

Instead of the 2 channel doser I would consider the 3 channel for about the same price in case you ever want to add a 3rd item to the dosing.  Even the 4 channel is only $10 more.

Dp-3 Doser

I haven't used kalkwasser but there are many people who use it successfully. 

20 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Known:

Same Pump

Same Heater

Unknown:

Kalkwasser?

So excited to see your rebuild!!! Yes, the Chill Solutions chiller is awesome; I definitely think it’s a great investment for this tank. Of course it’s needed in the summer, but it also turns on from time to time now, especially when I have a fire in the fireplace. I am dosing Kent Tech I iodide weekly, and Seachem Reef Fusion two part every 2-3 days... the iodide seems to help things open up more, especially my mushrooms, and the two part seems to be helping with coral growth. 

• 2 months later...
Cpl_Wiggles

IMG_20190319_225034423.thumb.jpg.2df63efa70630ee9e8b2c146185b7764.jpg

Built a small bridge and flattened down the backsides to specifically maximize space in the tank. Things look good with CUC and building buffer. I might remove some of the smaller pieces or cut them down to smaller "islands". 

The only question is: I'm only using the bottom 50% of the tank. I built up the rockscape by adding two base pieces which added ~3 inches of vertical and a front display surface that is curving down. Do I build the two columns higher?  My other thought is glue coaded magnets into some frags and stick some life rock "shelves" along the back for coral that likes to be by itself or might take up alot of room/wants light. 

I do not plan on SPS at this time. I'm also contemplating lower ricordea garden, a zoa garden, and acan garden to start things out. The LFS has some fantastic purple hornets I'm going to invest in. 

Also considering a shrimp/goby combo.

I plan to begin stocking in April.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

IMG_20190319_225034423.thumb.jpg.2df63efa70630ee9e8b2c146185b7764.jpg

Built a small bridge and flattened down the backsides to specifically maximize space in the tank. Things look good with CUC and building buffer. I might remove some of the smaller pieces or cut them down to smaller "islands". 

The only question is: I'm only using the bottom 50% of the tank. I built up the rockscape by adding two base pieces which added ~3 inches of vertical and a front display surface that is curving down. Do I build the two columns higher?  My other thought is glue coaded magnets into some frags and stick some life rock "shelves" along the back for coral that likes to be by itself or might take up alot of room/wants light. 

I do not plan on SPS at this time. I'm also contemplating lower ricordea garden, a zoa garden, and acan garden to start things out. The LFS has some fantastic purple hornets I'm going to invest in. 

Also considering a shrimp/goby combo.

I plan to begin stocking in April.

Looks good.  I like the idea of mag rocks on the back wall.  Another option would be taller corals like gorgonians or some leathers to fill out the space.

• Like 1

Here we goooo!!! Looking really good. So excited to see how you stock it. I think the space up top is nice for starting out... and agree with Jackal’s ideas about gorgs or leathers being good options, or you might find corals that come on a rock rather than a plug and add more height. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Cpl_Wiggles

Pictured: A**hole coral banded shrimp that snatched my cardinalfish as it passed by and killed it. Beware the CBS in a "smaller" tank - they can be aggressive and territorial towards more docile, slower, smaller fish.

IMG_20190601_223107491.thumb.jpg.e3ecbd25198d1996bcfe2d43d34cbd0a.jpg

Cpl_Wiggles

Update: Algae has cycled through and is mostly gone. Going to start doing nutrient exports of some sort twice a week now  - from changing out filter floss to removing water, running it through filter sock, and pouring it back in. Perhaps an improvement to the clean-up crew would help too.

Current stock: 

1 clown

1 coral banded shrimp

1 larger red-legged hermit crab

2 nassarius

2 turbo

4-5 small nerites

IMG_20190603_170840281.thumb.jpg.af78266aadca12bbd1eb7fe1fbe58660.jpg

Top Left: Ricordea, Leptastrea, Blue Tubs, Green Star Polyps, Favia immediately after feeding brine shrimp. Placement to come. 

8 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Update: Algae has cycled through and is mostly gone. Going to start doing nutrient exports of some sort twice a week now  - from changing out filter floss to removing water, running it through filter sock, and pouring it back in. Perhaps an improvement to the clean-up crew would help too.

Current stock: 

1 clown

1 coral banded shrimp

1 larger red-legged hermit crab

2 nassarius

2 turbo

4-5 small nerites

IMG_20190603_170840281.thumb.jpg.af78266aadca12bbd1eb7fe1fbe58660.jpg

Top Left: Ricordea, Leptastrea, Blue Tubs, Green Star Polyps, Favia immediately after feeding brine shrimp. Placement to come. 

Good looking corals.  I like the colors on the Favia.  

I'm sorry to hear about the Cardinal.  I thought the shrimps mostly stayed in a borough under the sand.  Do you see it roam around the tank? 

Cpl_Wiggles
13 hours ago, Jackal227 said:

Good looking corals.  I like the colors on the Favia.  

I'm sorry to hear about the Cardinal.  I thought the shrimps mostly stayed in a borough under the sand.  Do you see it roam around the tank? 

Nah this guy is all over the place scavenging about. His home base is for sure back corner but he will venture out and climb all over the rocks looking for stuff. I was actually looking directly at my tank when it happened he climbed to the top of the rocks waiting with his pincers out and as soon as cardinal got close enough snatched her. Was pretty shocking.