Cpl_Wiggles

Wiggles' Biocube 16 w/ Steve's 42W LED Upgrade: The Next Generation

Cpl_Wiggles

471802246_IMG_20190608_1747499192.thumb.jpg.a395cdb4d12e05e6cfc0ae4b80b534e4.jpg

Cody the Clown

2110851366_IMG_20190608_1759307962.thumb.jpg.a098756fa426bdb2616af5ef550480f2.jpg

Sebastian the d***head Coral-banded Shrimp

• Like 3

Cpl_Wiggles

GSP

1151339256_IMG_20190608_1744387852.thumb.jpg.885758119e36dee0a4801e5b15120b12.jpg

Blue Tubs - they actually have a deep blue and a red border that really pops under the blues

208382015_IMG_20190608_1745211742.thumb.jpg.8472eb9186cf8e44614939a4af9b8d42.jpg

Favia

1811072021_IMG_20190608_1753127102.thumb.jpg.d20b4c57d2e193e82a44084e9894e08f.jpg

Ricord

693645665_IMG_20190608_1753265882.thumb.jpg.0d86432296e354cc43d800379b1b18a5.jpg

Lap

912426651_IMG_20190608_1757348702.thumb.jpg.09a4af8846b1bd528e61935d303f83d6.jpg

• Like 2

colinadam

Blue Tubs are a classic zoa for me, love them.

Great looking pictures! 

Cpl_Wiggles

Copied from a reply in @Jackal227 for my records:

I'm actually considering installing an IceProbe Thermoelectric chiller - my setup has been hanging around 84 this last week (been above 100 degrees F here in the Valley) - with my A/C on! I've been propping the hood slightly open and running a small fan across the top but I would like something a little more durable/reliable. I also have the Steve's LED upgrade so the 42W lights put out a little more heat. 

I too, add about 1/2 gallon (2L) of water with a 1/4 tsp of KH Buffer in the middle of the week in addition to my weekend 2.5 gallon (9-10L) water changes. 

*EDIT* checked salinity after posting this and salinity is 1.0255 - so loss isn't too bad. 

The IceProbe would go into Chamber 1 on the right side - I just have to bring myself to drill a 1-1/4" hole in the side of my tank. 💀

Cpl_Wiggles

Quick Update: 

288333251_IMG_20190918_205714171_HDR2.thumb.jpg.745d58b9bf8982960867a382f4c091e8.jpg

Added Chill Solutions. Worked well for a very hot July and August.

Fighting Algae. Lots and lots of green/brown algae as can be seen in this tank shot. Was hard to control while the tank was hot but now that weather has cooled looking to fight with physical removal of algae, 20% water changes, scrubbing rock with toothbrush, and if all else fails - 3% peroxide spray of rock followed by freshwater dip. May try the vodka method or look into some phosgard. I need to do a comprehensive parm check as well to see where I'm sitting at. Also will invest in a few more snails as the LFS did not have Nassarius last time I was there. The Astreas I purchased did not last long for some reason. 

Growth has been marginal, but there has been some. Blue Tubs have spread and affixed to main live rock, but have significant algae growths interfering. Same with GSP. 

Favia and Lap don't seem to be doing much, but they're healthy.

Ricordea did not like anywhere I put it and finally bit the dust.

My lighting was around 68% 29 white and 39 blue. I've turned up the brightness slightly. If I get the algae under control I'm going to look at adding a galexea/torch as well as some acan colonies. Maybe some mushrooms. The only SPS I'm interested in is a montipora.

• Like 2

Cpl_Wiggles

Pictures:

Favia

IMG_20190919_193351710_HDR.thumb.jpg.dd82b7035a1402ab5269efb77ea853e5.jpg

Blue Tubs

IMG_20190919_193903702_HDR.thumb.jpg.95671308d0e048329d214e1dffddaf88.jpg

*Pulsing Xenia/Random Zoa

IMG_20190919_193835361_HDR.thumb.jpg.d534604d3cc30855715e28cb7dc059f8.jpg

Lap

IMG_20190919_193810935_HDR.thumb.jpg.09be53c31ee51993cfca66d12a6548b2.jpg

As you can see there is quite a bit of algae floating around. Going to reduce light interval and after a week of reduced feeding and see what happens. 

• Like 2

Xanthine
17 hours ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Pictures:

Gonipora/Zoa

IMG_20190919_193835361_HDR.thumb.jpg.d534604d3cc30855715e28cb7dc059f8.jpg

I might be wrong, but that looks a lot like Pulsing / Pom Pom Xenia , moreso than goniopora?

I'm thinking that because of the little feathery parts of the finger hand things.

Previously they gave me the creeps but I have Xenia in my JBJ now and love their hardiness and movement. 

• Like 1

Cpl_Wiggles
7 hours ago, Xanthine said:

I might be wrong, but that looks a lot like Pulsing / Pom Pom Xenia , moreso than goniopora?

I'm thinking that because of the little feathery parts of the finger hand things.

Previously they gave me the creeps but I have Xenia in my JBJ now and love their hardiness and movement. 

Good Eye! Thanks! Don't know what was going on in my head. 

Also! We have a dirrrrty tank.

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0.5ppm

Nitrite - 0.0ppm

Nitrate - 20.0ppm

Time for some aggressive water changes, manual removal of algae, as well as nutrient export. 

• Like 2

banasophia
25 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Good Eye! Thanks! Don't know what was going on in my head. 

Also! We have a dirrrrty tank.

PH - 8.0

Ammonia - 0.5ppm

Nitrite - 0.0ppm

Nitrate - 20.0ppm

Time for some aggressive water changes, manual removal of algae, as well as nutrient export. 

That’s interesting... I wonder what’s going on with the ammonia... 

Cpl_Wiggles
Just now, banasophia said:

That’s interesting... I wonder what’s going on with the ammonia... 

I've had some snails and crabs that bit the dust but I was only ever able to find their empty shells, that would be my guess. I also would broadcast feed some brine shrimp that might have been a bit overzealous...

Got some coral frenzy to spot feed the corals only and now Cody gets 1-2 small pellets a day and 2-3 brine a week. Sebastian gets 3-4 brine a week.

banasophia
1 hour ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

I've had some snails and crabs that bit the dust but I was only ever able to find their empty shells, that would be my guess. I also would broadcast feed some brine shrimp that might have been a bit overzealous...

Got some coral frenzy to spot feed the corals only and now Cody gets 1-2 small pellets a day and 2-3 brine a week. Sebastian gets 3-4 brine a week.

Hmmm... have you thought of adding some matrix media and maybe some biospira to increase your nitrifying bacteria? I’d probably try to do that because of the ammonia spike, and maybe you could consider “renting” a sea hare to eat the algae once the ammonia is gone. I have to take pretty extreme measures to control nitrates and phosphates in my tank since I feed heavily with my nps and mandarin... hopefully just some water changes to get them down and then the reduced feeding will do the trick in your tank. 

I love that favia, btw. 🙂

Sancho

Are you the same wiggles from SDReefs? 

Cpl_Wiggles
26 minutes ago, Sancho said:

Are you the same wiggles from SDReefs? 

Negative. I outrank him.

• Haha 3

Sancho
14 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Negative. I outrank him.

He told me that’s your account 😂anyway if you are or not the person I’m thinking of welcome to NR

Cpl_Wiggles
25 minutes ago, Sancho said:

He told me that’s your account 😂anyway if you are or not the person I’m thinking of welcome to NR

Nope not me! This is the only forum I participate in. And thanks!! 😄

• Like 1

Cpl_Wiggles
18 hours ago, banasophia said:

Hmmm... have you thought of adding some matrix media and maybe some biospira to increase your nitrifying bacteria? I’d probably try to do that because of the ammonia spike, and maybe you could consider “renting” a sea hare to eat the algae once the ammonia is gone. I have to take pretty extreme measures to control nitrates and phosphates in my tank since I feed heavily with my nps and mandarin... hopefully just some water changes to get them down and then the reduced feeding will do the trick in your tank. 

I love that favia, btw. 🙂

All good advice! Thanks! Before I start attacking symptoms with chemicals I'm going to change my practices to bring things back in line as naturally as possible.

I would guess root cause is broadcast feeding brine shrimp. I might cut that down to water change day. Coral Frenzy twice a week, and 2-3 pellet feeding for the clown daily.

I might add in an emerald crab for good measure as I've always had good luck with them - as long as he doesn't fight the shrimp.

Otherwise I'll be selling tickets ringside.

• Like 1

Cpl_Wiggles

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: 5ppm

Manual removal of algae went well, along with reduced feeding and lighting. Going to keep up with the 2x a week water change. Still getting some growth on the back wall of algae, along with the sand bed getting some algae clumping. My inverts were stressed but seem to have settled down a bit.

2-3 Hermits

1 Turbo

1-2 Trochus

1-2 Nerite

I think I need a few more to really make moves on the algae. 

2019-10-02.jpg.5fb7e0b3e65457b083a2345021e79223.jpg

Cpl_Wiggles

Still dealing with algae. LFS hasn't had turbos lately. They sold me tronchus which didn't last. I'm down to 1 turbo, 2 nass, 2 nerites. You can see how it has coated the rock.

2007384981_IMG_20191008_205841702_HDR2.thumb.jpg.11d0047da79aa3792324b6c12a2fd1eb.jpg

• Like 1

banasophia
14 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Still dealing with algae. LFS hasn't had turbos lately. They sold me tronchus which didn't last. I'm down to 1 turbo, 2 nass, 2 nerites. You can see how it has coated the rock.

2007384981_IMG_20191008_205841702_HDR2.thumb.jpg.11d0047da79aa3792324b6c12a2fd1eb.jpg

Aww man... I’m dealing with a lot of algae in my Nuvo right now too... what a big drag!! What are you gonna try?

Oh my... as I’m typing this, my AI Prime is starting to make some bad noises. 😩😩😩

• Sad 1

Cpl_Wiggles
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Aww man... I’m dealing with a lot of algae in my Nuvo right now too... what a big drag!! What are you gonna try?

Oh my... as I’m typing this, my AI Prime is starting to make some bad noises. 😩😩😩

Well first I think I need to do my part and set up ideal parameters for a 16 gallon Biocube

Need To:

1. Manual Removal - no way around it, especially the big stuff. Credit card on back side, glass cleaner front side, remove rocks and run toothbrush around nooks and crannies with a dunk/rinse, pull out floating algae with siphon pump. Might get a little fry net to help snag

2. Targeted feeding daily for fish and shimp, brine shrimp and coral frenzy on water change days. Cut down on nutrients

3. Update cleanup crew - I believe I need ~8-10 more snails of various size. Ideas?

4. Increased percentage of water change - I'm guessing I do about 1.75-2 gallons now. I think going up to 3 gallons should help. 

5. Adjust lighting as needed. Currently with Steve's 42W LED I'm sitting at 29% whites and 39% blues for total of 68% - which is in the recommended range. 

Want to avoid at all costs

5. Hydrogen Peroxide to treat entire tank - @Jackal227 had good luck treating his tank post-crash but I'd like to avoid until I'm following a sustainable process

6. Pencil Urchin or Sea Hare - God help us, that's the Nuclear Option. 

Considering

7. An additional powerhead to create more flow. I plumbed my chiller through my main pump so I think I've lost some "head pressure" out of my return line. In addition, I believe my rock structure impedes the circular flow the BioCube has to have to export nutrients. This means detritus does not get suspended and exported to my floss - but settles into my sandbed. I actually siphon/vaccum a portion of my sandbed every water change. There is always alot of gunk that gets taken out, which is a good thing. But it says (to me) that the tank filter system is leaving something to be desired. 

8. Matrix/Purigen/Chemipure/Chaeto - @banasophia, @Jackal227, and @Krish87 I believe use some of each of these in Chamber 2. I currently only have filter floss and carbon. Seeing the progress of these tanks compared to mine makes me wonder if I'm missing those benefits. 

Nothing comes easy in this hobby - I just know I want to have things looking steady-state and shipshape before I add another fish, stock another 5-10 corals, etc. 

• Like 1

Jackal227
35 minutes ago, Cpl_Wiggles said:

Well first I think I need to do my part and set up ideal parameters for a 16 gallon Biocube

Need To:

1. Manual Removal - no way around it, especially the big stuff. Credit card on back side, glass cleaner front side, remove rocks and run toothbrush around nooks and crannies with a dunk/rinse, pull out floating algae with siphon pump. Might get a little fry net to help snag

2. Targeted feeding daily for fish and shimp, brine shrimp and coral frenzy on water change days. Cut down on nutrients

3. Update cleanup crew - I believe I need ~8-10 more snails of various size. Ideas?

4. Increased percentage of water change - I'm guessing I do about 1.75-2 gallons now. I think going up to 3 gallons should help. 

5. Adjust lighting as needed. Currently with Steve's 42W LED I'm sitting at 29% whites and 39% blues for total of 68% - which is in the recommended range. 

Want to avoid at all costs

5. Hydrogen Peroxide to treat entire tank - @Jackal227 had good luck treating his tank post-crash but I'd like to avoid until I'm following a sustainable process

6. Pencil Urchin or Sea Hare - God help us, that's the Nuclear Option. 

Considering

7. An additional powerhead to create more flow. I plumbed my chiller through my main pump so I think I've lost some "head pressure" out of my return line. In addition, I believe my rock structure impedes the circular flow the BioCube has to have to export nutrients. This means detritus does not get suspended and exported to my floss - but settles into my sandbed. I actually siphon/vaccum a portion of my sandbed every water change. There is always alot of gunk that gets taken out, which is a good thing. But it says (to me) that the tank filter system is leaving something to be desired. 

8. Matrix/Purigen/Chemipure/Chaeto - @banasophia, @Jackal227, and @Krish87 I believe use some of each of these in Chamber 2. I currently only have filter floss and carbon. Seeing the progress of these tanks compared to mine makes me wonder if I'm missing those benefits. 

Nothing comes easy in this hobby - I just know I want to have things looking steady-state and shipshape before I add another fish, stock another 5-10 corals, etc. 

For my filtration I use a Purigen bag in chamber one.  In chamber two I have floss up top with carbon underneath it and then macro algae below that.  Chamber 3 is my Matrix bags sitting ontop of my return pump.

What's your current cleanup crew look like?

When I was using peroxide it helped with Cyanobacteria and maybe some film algae but I don't believe that it had affected GHA.

Once it gets long like that it seems that the snails don't like to eat it.  Manual removal is the best option.  I use this method.

Once the long stuff is gone beef up the clean up crew to help keep it manageable.  I find that I always have algae it's just a constant battle trying to keep it low.  I add more snails around every 3-4 months.

If that fails I would consider Reef Flux as an option.  I had some pretty impressive results after 3 weeks with it however it won't prevent it from returning so it's a temporary fix.

• Like 2

Cpl_Wiggles
12 minutes ago, Jackal227 said:

For my filtration I use a Purigen bag in chamber one.  In chamber two I have floss up top with carbon underneath it and then macro algae below that.  Chamber 3 is my Matrix bags sitting ontop of my return pump.

What's your current cleanup crew look like?

When I was using peroxide it helped with Cyanobacteria and maybe some film algae but I don't believe that it had affected GHA.

Once it gets long like that it seems that the snails don't like to eat it.  Manual removal is the best option.  I use this method.

Once the long stuff is gone beef up the clean up crew to help keep it manageable.  I find that I always have algae it's just a constant battle trying to keep it low.  I add more snails around every 3-4 months.

If that fails I would consider Reef Flux as an option.  I had some pretty impressive results after 3 weeks with it however it won't prevent it from returning so it's a temporary fix.

Had a healthy collection of Turbo, Nass, Tronch, Nerites. I think the hot part of summer before I got the Chiller didn't help them out and contributed to an ammonia/Nitrate spike which made for unfavorable conditions. 

Now:

1 Turbo, 

1-2 Nas

1-2 Nerite

1 Coral-banded shrimp (Not sure he counts)

3-4 red leg hermits.

• Like 1

Krish87

Hey @Cpl_Wiggles

Sorry to hear about the challenges but as you have aptly quoted, nothing is easy here. Everyone goes through some or the other roadblock 😊

What media I run? 

From Day 1 - I run the following.

BioCube has 3 chambers in the sump.

Chamber 1 = BioCube Protein Skimmer

Chamber 2 = InTank Media Basket (it has 3 sections.)

• Top section has filter floss which does mechanical filtration
• Middle section has a little bit of Purigen (I have put it in a small mesh bag) 
• Last section - I run Chemipure Elite

The chemical media does not rest on the rack. I have tied it in a way that it’s hanging and the water flow is more efficient through them.

This combination has worked wonders for me. I have never run into GHA or any other unwanted algae.

Last chamber is the return pump. I swap the stock Coralife pump with Cobalt MJ every 3 months when I run my quarterly maintenance 😊

Clean-up Crew

• 4 Turbo Snails (Astrea)

• 3 Trochus Snails 

This army of 7 keep my glass spick and span! Thankfully, there is enough algae produced to ensure this team is kept fed. 

Water Chemistry

Ca = 425 ppm

Alk = 7.8 - 8.2 dKH

SG = 1.025

Hope this information would help. Pls let me know if I can assist with any other information.

Cpl_Wiggles

Still reading some nitrates in the tank. Had another aggressive algae bloom. toothbrushed left rock/dunked/rinsed (a poor little hermit went for the ride of his life!), picked off clumps with tweezers on right rock to hopefully cut down on any negative bacteria issues. Alot of good discussions about increasing biodiversity to compete for nutrients. Specifically, I think I need to get some more coral in the tank as well. 

I've found it hard to visualize placement so nothing is set down permanent (except for the blue tubs which nicely propagated to my life rock), but I'm thinking 3-5 corals evenly spaced about the tank to let things grow. Depending what the LFS has for snails I'd like to add some too. 

I hesitate to introduce pods to my tank, but they would be a good way to snag nutrients. Thoughts?