Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

Is that the Cali tort in front?

No, not a cali tort.  These two acros are quite similar; but the front one just doesn't have the neon green base and seems to shoot out thicker branches.    

9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

P4051257.thumb.jpg.69284801cc5b791e804d35990fd67e54.jpg

The orange one is nauti spiral/tricolor palawanensis - def not one of those fancy ones.  I'm still waiting for the day that @spectra will send me any of his glowing yellow ones, maybe this is the year.

Well the glowing yellow one I had got nuked when my 100 crashed..................I have a small chunk of one now but not as yellow as the last one............

• Sad 1
mitten_reef
7 hours ago, spectra said:

Well the glowing yellow one I had got nuked when my 100 crashed..................I have a small chunk of one now but not as yellow as the last one............

dude, that sucks, I vaguely remember that now.  I'm still keeping my eye out for one at local frag swaps for sure.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

dude, that sucks, I vaguely remember that now.  I'm still keeping my eye out for one at local frag swaps for sure.  

I may have a local who has a piece.........I was able to save a chunk of the rainbow one but it seems to color up differently depending on lighting..........

• Like 1
mitten_reef
2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

@mitten_reef - what do you use to take your pics? Sorry if this was covered in the previous 67 pages....

No problem!

it’s an Olympus e-410 - a small dSLR from 2008 with it’s stock lens. For top down, I have a viewing tube mounted to the lens. 

The simple viewing tube was made and sent to me a long while back by the one and only @Cannedfish
859F83DE-7CAA-412F-991A-683BCABEE39B.thumb.jpeg.0513f15cdb65a4582bb292d4a38de3ba.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2

They’re pretty bush league but get the job done... sometimes. Basically, much like myself performing any sort of manual labor. Tank is looking fire!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Wow. Great results. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you!  Did you happen to see where I mentioned that I took more than 500 photos 😂?  And these are the only good ones. 
I’m really happy to hear that you enjoyed them. 

12 minutes ago, Cannedfish said:

They’re pretty bush league but get the job done... sometimes. Basically, much like myself performing any sort of manual labor. Tank is looking fire!!

thanks bud. I’m gonna guess that you probably have moved on from this diy model to some fancier phototube with all your crisp photos. 

ECLS Reefer
31 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

No problem!

it’s an Olympus e-410 - a small dSLR from 2008 with it’s stock lens. For top down, I have a viewing tube mounted to the lens. 

The simple viewing tube was made and sent to me a long while back by the one and only @Cannedfish
859F83DE-7CAA-412F-991A-683BCABEE39B.thumb.jpeg.0513f15cdb65a4582bb292d4a38de3ba.jpeg

So that’s the secret?! I’ve been wondering!! May have to try to copy that!

• Like 2
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

So that’s the secret?! I’ve been wondering!! May have to try to copy that!

There are a few “commercial” one out there.  But this looks like a giant pvc pipe glued to clear acrylic round at one end. Those thumb screws keep the tube snug on the lens, a nice touch for sure. Let’s see your diy skills. 

ECLS Reefer
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

There are a few “commercial” one out there.  But this looks like a giant pvc pipe glued to clear acrylic round at one end. Those thumb screws keep the tube snug on the lens, a nice touch for sure. Let’s see your diy skills. 

What commercial ones work on a phone though? My old DSLR didn’t take pictures for crap when I tried it, so I’ve stuck to the phone.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
3 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What commercial ones work on a phone though? My old DSLR didn’t take pictures for crap when I tried it, so I’ve stuck to the phone.

I don’t know. They really need to come up with those extender lens for phones that is waterproof so you can dip the front side under water. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I don’t know. They really need to come up with those extender lens for phones that is waterproof so you can dip the front side under water. 

@mitten_reef knows how nerdy I'll get about dslrs.

Any true dslr > even the best smart phone. 

Smartphones have decent cameras but all the magic happens in how the camera process what it is seeing. 

Phones don't have the true processors that dslrs do. They're just doing everything digitally meaning instead of actual hardware delevoping the picture, a code of 1's and 0's is. 

I can go on and on. Is there a photography how to thread? Or something of that in the lines? 

Maybe I could start one 🤔

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

I have seen people use clear plastic trays for iPhone top-down shots. Small tray like you would find at Bed, Bath, Beyond for organization. 

I am actually a professional photographer on the side, so I have the “real” camera needed for great results, but I am too damn lazy to pull it out just to snag a picture here and there. Though I guess if you take 500 at a time, the economy of it is a little better!

My biggest gripe with the phone is that you can only zoom to 2x and beyond that, the loss of resolution from the digital zoom is pretty extreme. I considered buying a cheap telephoto clip on lens from amazon, but I know I will be disappointed with the results. 😐

• Like 1
mitten_reef
6 hours ago, Matteo said:

@mitten_reef knows how nerdy I'll get about dslrs.

Any true dslr > even the best smart phone. 

Smartphones have decent cameras but all the magic happens in how the camera process what it is seeing. 

Phones don't have the true processors that dslrs do. They're just doing everything digitally meaning instead of actual hardware delevoping the picture, a code of 1's and 0's is. 

I can go on and on. Is there a photography how to thread? Or something of that in the lines? 

Maybe I could start one 🤔

There’s a photography-specific sub-forum where you can share tips and techniques. New ones are always welcome, I’m sure. 

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/forum/29-photo-video-discussion/

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

I have seen people use clear plastic trays for iPhone top-down shots. Small tray like you would find at Bed, Bath, Beyond for organization. 

I am actually a professional photographer on the side, so I have the “real” camera needed for great results, but I am too damn lazy to pull it out just to snag a picture here and there. Though I guess if you take 500 at a time, the economy of it is a little better!

My biggest gripe with the phone is that you can only zoom to 2x and beyond that, the loss of resolution from the digital zoom is pretty extreme. I considered buying a cheap telephoto clip on lens from amazon, but I know I will be disappointed with the results. 😐

yes, I find the iPhone camera convenient. But the photo quality is far better with my real camera.  I just aim to do a monthly shoot and just kinda go thru them to find the ones I like in between. Since you do photography, maybe there are some tips you could share as well? See link above. 

For me, my one and only reef photography crash course is by @DaveFason here:

• Like 3

Yeah I might have to do the same thing. Spend the hour shooting a whole bunch and then have shots in the queue. 

I don’t have any tips to share right now since most of my shooting is outside and landscapes.... but I’ll work on it!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Check out Avast Marine's site.  They have one with a cell phone adapter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef

This is probably the last of my daily photo series from this month’s shoot. 

I have a bunch of blurry clownfish photos, I’m gonna try to find decent ones of my two clowns.  

There are quite a few acros photos that didn’t show up well, hopefully more will turn out better next month. Specifically, I have this red planet that started to take off after years of encrusting. 

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...