Patch of Awful next to the bright paly and clam:

kezYJaxl.jpg

Horrible possum wrasse photo:

4fqh2OQl.jpg

The pale goby:

rNK1Vw6l.jpg

The bright goby:

PtMLBKLl.jpg

The possum is so painfully shy. I sat down in front of the tank, right on the floor so I could stealth-observe, and it wandered out plain as day. Seems like it's eating the pellets/LRS, but only when I'm not watching? Plus, it has that unhappy top portion that seems like it was nipped off before it got here. It's made progress, though - it refused to unclamp its fins when it initially got here, but it uses them much more normally now.

The neons are still chasing themselves, but the pale goby isn't quite as pale as it originally was.

Maybe they'd like some smaller diameter pvc to hide in. Are they in the same QT together? How long are you keeping them there before you put them in the tank?

Also, is it the lighting, or is there still a little bit where the orange plate has receded from its skeleton?

Maybe they'd like some smaller diameter pvc to hide in. Are they in the same QT together? How long are you keeping them there before you put them in the tank?

Shhh, don't ask all these questions!

They're in the basement, with almost no traffic, and the chasing is getting better (lessening) by the day. The possum chose that PVC to spend half the day in, but also hides behind the filter outlet where it can't be seen at all. I'm going to be picking up or ordering 1" and 1.5" diameter fittings in the next couple of days just to be sure, though (amazon decided to be a jerk with what it has in stock, and this weekend was 0% productive). Nano mentioned it and I've been meaning to get on that ;~;

They're in a 10g quarantine together, and have already gone through a round of prazipro (without carbon at the time). On the other hand, I caught a couple of spots of ich on the brighter neon. I'm not sure there's a point in treating with copper if it disappears and doesn't come back (the Fusion 20 is completely uncured live rock that didn't go fallow 90 days, more like 2-3 weeks). If it gets worse, though, it may be worth it to treat them and let them gather their strength again after.

So once I see them go two weeks straight without a single issue (eating, normal breathing, no internal/external parasites), the clown will unfortunately be taking a trip to Absolutely Fish ;~;

If they take clowns. Do they take clowns? I'll call ahead.

Also, is it the lighting, or is there still a little bit where the orange plate has receded from its skeleton?

That's the lighting. The skin was tight on that part of the skeleton in that moment, but it's back to looking like a fluffy meringue c:

Seriously, the issue with mine was that the green plate expanded so much it laid on top of the little guy. I moved him an inch or two further towards the front, pushed the green plate back, and it healed up within two days with a couple of feedings. You sure there's nothing irritating yours?

Yeah. Mine's on sand by itself. The only thing that touches it are snails now and again. Most of the skeleton is covered, but the injured section does not puff up like the rest of it. It almost looks like it's scarred, but it's still eating, so I'll keep feeding it. Unfortunately, all that extra food is well appreciated by the algae...

Yeah. Mine's on sand by itself. The only thing that touches it are snails now and again. Most of the skeleton is covered, but the injured section does not puff up like the rest of it. It almost looks like it's scarred, but it's still eating, so I'll keep feeding it. Unfortunately, all that extra food is well appreciated by the algae...

Silly algae :c

If the skeleton's being covered, that sounds promising. I don't think it would puff up without first sealing up any holes in its flesh, you know? So long as it's healing, that's good. And if you dose beneficial bacteria in the meantime, that could help in the case that it's something bacterial?

Though speaking of algae. I should post one of the two 'this is my bubble algae' pictures I took... Dense, ridiculous stuff, on two aragonite discs at the bottom of the tank where the ricordea are.

EDIT: Because I know you're going to say it, Carp:

e7sCvVWl.jpg

You posted pics!!! omgomgomg

The possum will take time, just be patient.

Can you remove that entire BA rock/dis/whatever?

I did! 8D

It's so cute. Cruises like a little bee, investigating everything. It's tempting to throw some pods/worms in there if there won't be any copper to kill inverts...

I can probably pick them out and shave some of the disc off with the ricordea? That'll be fun ;~;

Good news, everyone! When I seeded the quarantine tank, I seem to have put some tiny pods and flatworms in there. I added more filter floss from the Fusion 20 today, and when I sat there to inspect I noticed tiny rust-colored flatworms and my regular white pods already on the glass. Hopefully the wrasse enjoys the snacks?

(no I do not have a camera good enough for dim-light photos of pods, shhh)

...Yeah, I need to post pictures more often. I just re-read the thread and even I'm disappointed :P

And I really want to get my hands in the tank, but it's so hot. The central air's getting completely redone tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have more energy then.

And then more pictures, I promise!

I'm thinking when I get back from MACNA this thing is due for a couple of updates. I could pick up the PLS-50 Elite skimmer and mod it to fit one of the second chambers in the back. I still have that thread bookmarked :) And of course, stash some money away for a Duo. Hmmm..

To Do List (for this week/weekend):

-Break out the thin profile frag rack and put it up on the back wall somewhere, get the back wall frags on this. ...Or actually place them somewhere.

-Move the captain salty's rack down a bit, put the clam here, hammock and all. Don't judge me. I'll try and put it below eye level so the rack isn't outrageously obvious. Or maybe I'll glue the hammock to a plug and put it on one of the micro racks, which will definitely be hidden. Can I use the Cap rack's magnet? We'll find out.

-Get the ricordea polyps onto new discs, don't pop any bubbles in the tank while at it.

-1" tee fitting was delivered today, so that'll be going in the QT tank. More fittings as amazon stocks them?

-Baste the rocks and scrape the walls, then move the filter floss into the QT and dispose of the floss currently in there.

-Get back to testing alk daily instead of just adding a 'bloop' of alk/cal supplements. I know. I KNOW. But phosphates are obviously up, so alk isn't being used as much. 1-2mL just sounds about right and no one's angry about it. Yet.

-Recalibrate the Jebao doser, clean out the containers and tubing, fill with the B-Ionic stuff. I'll start with the smallest dose possible while still allowing the pump to dispense correctly, maybe 2mL once a day for each. Then with alk testing I can add a mL or two as needed. And once usage is up high enough, start separating the doses.

-A real feeding. With chopped LRS and reef chili and roids and amino acids and all that good stuff.

-A water change. Depending on where parameters are, either 2gal or 4gal.

-Smother the aiptasia. I haven't seen any pop up, and there are some teeny ones that have disappeared (thanks, peppermint shrimp!), but these are obviously too large. I actually did smother one in order to put the mind trick on there, and the darn thing wedged itself through a hole underneath and is stinging the mind trick (polyps still out, but skin obviously lighter). The hammer's semi-touching, but holds its own.

-Release the pom pom crab I secretly bought from DD into the main tank once the aiptasia are smothered. Shhhhh. It's a secret.

-Hit up BRS during the group buy to get Restor, Reef Snow, NeoNitro, B-Ionic mag, the nano flipper, ROX carbon, and a Hanna alk refill.

-Clean the IM reactor and add it to the tank. Which will involve moving one of the heaters next to the other. And potentially moving a block of MarinePure. Right now the heaters are one Cobalt NeoTherm 75 and one Eheim Jager 75. I'll eventually replace the jager with another neotherm. This gets extra complex if I add a skimmer; oh boy...

-Throw out the live rock sitting in my room with heat and circulation.

-Sicce Syncra 1.5 circulating that live rock will again be my return pump.

-Pictures!

Imitate nature... ditch the hammock.

And pom poms! You're never going to be allowed to avoid taking pictures again! :D

It's a secret!!! Also the little guy came in with just one anemone xD

eUWNZy9l.jpg

Caught this little guy in the middle of swimming:

tYtR45Xl.jpg

The anemone might split and then the crab will have 2. It has been known to happen.

1 of our 2 Pom Pom crabs lost one of his poms when we first got them. It grew back!

Yeah, I hear they'll even purposely split them when they grow large enough c:

I basted the rocks (wow), covered the anemones that I could see in epoxy (should've superglued, now that I think about it, but I'll do that for the tiny patch of colonial hydroids). Also removed some pest algae, including the BA - it came off as one big chunk, which is the only redeeming factor about having the densely matting stuff instead of the regular bubbles. It grows on itself instead of anchoring, so you can just gently prod it away with no force, no bubble popping. ...and of course the SD card is very far away so I'll post that tomorrow xD

Tee connector came in as 1.5" ;~; But the fish were out and about even more, so it looks like the additional hiding place was a good choice? Still see pods and flatworms on the glass, so the possum still has snacks. :) I actually saw it pecking at the glass this morning, that was cool.

I think tomorrow I'll work on the frag racks.

The awful BA:

hv1ZOHvl.jpg

Are plates supposed to be this fluffy?

UStefbil.jpg

Batman is IMPOSSIBLE to photograph without flash when he's in the back. Geez.

IDhyHX7l.jpg

Interesting macro:

ITd0IwHl.jpg

It's blue-ish reflecting from the top:

1l197wEl.jpg

If you look close, you can see some of the pods on the glass.

This is basically 'ghost town' compared to the corners and bottom half, where it looks like a pod explosion.

(But of course I can't get a photo of that for my life)

7xASgvzl.jpg

EDIT: Oh, right! This stuff seems to be growing?

W6HxnA6l.jpg

When I post a new FTS, it's going to have awkward epoxy spots where the anemones have been smothered. A couple of them had the audacity to sneak around the epoxy through holes in the rocks - how dare they. :angry: Once I know they're not going to show up out of nowhere (and any babies are being eaten by the shrimp, so there's that), I'll add the little pom pom so it can be cute in there!

Frags are on the thin profile rack, and I'll work on moving the clam soon enough!

And the reactor's in - just carbon, though. I really don't want to play with putting phosguard/gfo in there anymore, and the xport-phos is doing pretty well :)

WHAT IS THIS!? SO MANY PHOTOS ON ONE PAGE!? UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!

Lucky number 7!

Nice valonia removal - looks like you're going to have an ongoing project like I do - I've been siphoning out a couple new balls every 2 or 3 days...

Archived