inTank Media Baskets

Okay, fine! (Fusion 20)

Mariaface

Good luck. You need to get some cheap colored filters for the camera. :) Like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H34GYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also remember, with dosing, running too low is less damaging than too high. As KH drops growth will slow and eventually cause harm but you have more time to slowly correct. A KH spike can cause a LOT of damage quickly. Always aim low and manually correct if needed.

The higher the KH the less room for error. I prefer to run 6.8 to 7KH. I will apply corrections between 6.5 and 7.5 but if for whatever reason the tank reads at or above 7.5 I remove all dosing and start over. I also protect the tank via a PH meter. The doser and topoff will turn off if PH spikes and will not turn back on for 8 hours, time enough for me to figure out the issue.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to buy mine from MD but ran into the same problem. I ended up buying one off Amazon instead.

Wait, really? The only listing I see is like $300

Good luck. You need to get some cheap colored filters for the camera. :) Like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H34GYS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also remember, with dosing, running too low is less damaging than too high. As KH drops growth will slow and eventually cause harm but you have more time to slowly correct. A KH spike can cause a LOT of damage quickly. Always aim low and manually correct if needed.

The higher the KH the less room for error. I prefer to run 6.8 to 7KH. I will apply corrections between 6.5 and 7.5 but if for whatever reason the tank reads at or above 7.5 I remove all dosing and start over. I also protect the tank via a PH meter. The doser and topoff will turn off if PH spikes and will not turn back on for 8 hours, time enough for me to figure out the issue.

Or I could get better at white balance :P I think my problem is that I took the white balance photo at the beginning, when the lights were normal, and forgot that daylight savings meant they'd start going blue too soon. Then I didn't bother adjusting them, changing the white balance, etc. Nor did I adjust color afterwards. I mean, I'm fairly sure a Canon T3i should be taking better photos, and it's just me?

Thanks for the knowledge! I did notice that things are happier at 7dKH or just over that, provided that phosphates and nitrates are also low enough. The idea was to start with half what I'm dosing now (which is only 10mL, or should only be that much but is grossly overdosed), then test and adjust over the next couple of weeks.

Wait, really? The only listing I see is like $300

That's insane. I actually purchased two of these just last month and they were about $150 including shipping. One arrived broken and had to be returned, so I ordered the second from another supplier. I see that both of them are now out of stock as well. :(

This one?

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/cad-pls-50-nano-pipeless-skimmer-pls-50.aspx

My Tunze 9004 hasn't been pulling much out over the last 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the skimmer or just needs a good cleaning, but I had my eye on the PLS50 as an alternative when I got the Tunze. At this price, I think maybe I should have gone with the Cad Lights...

Please don't buy my birthday present out from under me >:c

Good grief, a T3i, you should be shooting raw and correcting them with a tool. Not to be confused with shooting in the raw, of course.

Either photoshop, lightroom, or the free Raw Therapee can adjust the raw images and generate jpgs. Your camera is better than mine, I expect fantastic pictures. :P

http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

Good grief, a T3i, you should be shooting raw and correcting them with a tool. Not to be confused with shooting in the raw, of course.

Either photoshop, lightroom, or the free Raw Therapee can adjust the raw images and generate jpgs. Your camera is better than mine, I expect fantastic pictures. :P

http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

Bookmarking this! I'm shooting in RAW. Imgur did not enjoy those uploads, lemme tell you. >>

I used to use spot and pick a rock that should be fairly white in the picture.

So, uh... About this 'white' rock. I feel like we're underestimating my coralline growing skills.

Maybe I should just have a brand-new frag plug in every photo. Like pineapples in Psych episodes.

Lol. Not needed, just make sit easier. There's a slider somewhere, maybe under lab settings. I haven't used it forever but I was going to tray again so I can cancel my photoshop subscription.

Lol. Not needed, just make sit easier. There's a slider somewhere, maybe under lab settings. I haven't used it forever but I was going to tray again so I can cancel my photoshop subscription.

I'm not joking, it just gets more purple :P I tried the spot next to the spongodes where it's bleached the coralline algae completely...

fsp7uHL.jpg

Next step: Work on exposure, maybe?

Try the white in the clown?

The clown all the way at the top right corner of the aquarium? Blacklight party. :P I'll play with it more when I get home, though.

Ok fine. :)

Here it is, I'll do one of my bluer shots from the 40.

B19NyOk.png

I select the color control and drag the white balance all the way to the right, then apply a little more red and it's a ton better.

dJFWLLV.png?1

Now I'm remembering how obtuse this thing is.

Select the scissors icon, go down to resize, select lanzcos 3 filter, a nice image size for the web (I like 1800) ... choose width for Specify and it will calculate height.

3Q73Byg.png

Almost there. See the disk and arrow button at the bottom left of the image? Click it to save. Choose jpg and a quality that works well. I use 92, less might work as well.

dGuJTlp.png

The result is ... ok. Better than doing nothing, but not as good as Photoshop. I'm sure I could make it as good but the number of options ... good grief.

You can save all the options set by choosing the save disk icon near the processing profiles dropdown.

result ... and it failed to resize ... and it is noisy as heck. changing to imgur smaller link.

L9CVC9yh.jpg

The result is ... ok. Better than doing nothing, but not as good as Photoshop. I'm sure I could make it as good but the number of options ... good grief.

You can save all the options set by choosing the save disk icon near the processing profiles dropdown.

result ... and it failed to resize ... and it is noisy as heck. changing to imgur smaller link.

Okay, I totally lied to you :blush: Some very interesting stuff happened at work, so I spent my evening discussing it with father (IT director at another company, same field). I'm just now setting up the BRS doser (yay!) and the aquarium lights have long been off...

But corals come in tomorrow, so I swear I'll have plenty of reason to practice!

Edit: 1.6mL/min. Someone write that down for me :P

i shoot with a nikon, but perhaps the two brands have similar settings. mines called picture control, giving a choice of vivid or landscape or neutral etc. doesnt matter what you pick, but if it allows customization of those presets then play with hue, im all the way negative with my nikon and it does a great job of reducing the all consuming blue!

Markalot, how would you do the same in Photoshop? I have access to it, but haven't used it much. My LG G4 can shoot in raw, so maybe that would be better than my jpegs at 7500°K.

Markalot, how would you do the same in Photoshop? I have access to it, but haven't used it much. My LG G4 can shoot in raw, so maybe that would be better than my jpegs at 7500°K.

Photoshop is easy, when you edit the picture the color balance is one of the filters you can apply in the dock on the right side. if opening a RAW file the raw editor which pops up first has all the controls for white balance right there, plus tabs for other effects that can be applied at the raw level.

Corals are on my desk at work! omgomgomg

Also, I'm loving the photography class going on in here. :wub:

EDIT:

Everyone's alive, looking good (like it's just night time in the box)! No hitchhiking trochus snail, though :P

Now I play the waiting game, because there are still five hours left in this work day...

Archived