ReefCleaners.org

Okay, fine! (Fusion 20)

Mariaface

Well, crap. Sounds like what I've been going through in my 10g tank. All the proper tank husbandry and it just kept getting worse and worse. I hope you have better luck than I have!

Oh, I won't pretend I have good tank husbandry :P

It looks like half of the corals are fine but angry, and several will recover (skin and polyps still covering the majority). A couple are almost 100% gone, which sucks. The spongodes hasn't even skipped a beat, though it looks a bit lighter?!

The pom pom crab isn't holding anemones but the banded aiptasia I used to have disappeared mysteriously over the past few weeks, so hopefully he remembers where he put down his anemones because.. welp. At least he's still hanging out! I'll be sure to feed him.

And I'll hold onto this post (should be first?) for photos when I finish this water change..

I SHOULD MENTION. Batman's fine. Nobody panic.

Okay, photos of the ATROCITY.

Seriatopora:

5mAG2r8.jpg

Setosa ;~;

rr7EmCk.jpg

The cutest RFA:

xBlC92M.jpg

The horribly injured:

Cyphastrea frag (the old parts growing on the frag tree are still going)

PqSAms3.jpg

Holy Carp's purple haze frag:

pS0WYte.jpg

Mine:

jQyQPbv.jpg

Hammer being extremely pissed:

E75ITHo.jpg

Corals that didn't flinch:

I basted the acans and found babies?!

s6jj7PX.jpg

Blastos:

cJZh0eX.jpg

The bigger, green plate (orange one is still not happy)

FYOrsMs.jpg

Batman is alive!

w4NPIwk.jpg

No pom poms though :(

wS4rbB4.jpg

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's crazy. Had you introduced anything new? What are your water parameters? Has this just been going downhill over the last month? Or was it longer?

Actually, if I didn't know it was so unnatural, I'd say that cyphastrea frag looks cool like dat. But I'm afraid it may be doomed :(

That's crazy. Had you introduced anything new? What are your water parameters? Has this just been going downhill over the last month? Or was it longer?

Actually, if I didn't know it was so unnatural, I'd say that cyphastrea frag looks cool like dat. But I'm afraid it may be doomed :(

I mean.. the protein skimmer? D:

I won't be home until tomorrow to test and see how everything's doing. And I'm already planning on a second water change then.

You know, I've seen them bounce back from that before? The mouths just need to be fed individually so they start growing the skin back. And if not, the part that overtook the frag tree is still going! ..Last I saw!

Oh, but the protein skimmer is being cool:

ne4nkRY.jpg

WTF is going on in that tank?

Are the corals recovering?

A couple of frags 'finished dying', I suppose, but otherwise things are recovering. I'm going to have to regrow your frag from what's left of mine :P Though on second thought, you may not want anything out of this tank...

The pom pom crab is somehow still chilling. Clown is completely unfazed, along with the spongodes. I should have plenty of time this weekend to get stuff done (testing, another water change, more testing); can't flipping wait.

The skimmate has actually gotten darker and stinkier, so there's that!

What kind of skimmer are you running now?

My Tunze 9004 barely pulls anything out anymore... either the tank is clean or the skimmer is clogged up. I think it may be time for a vinegar bath.

What kind of skimmer are you running now?

My Tunze 9004 barely pulls anything out anymore... either the tank is clean or the skimmer is clogged up. I think it may be time for a vinegar bath.

The PLS-50 that I bought from the hardware classifieds here - popped up during my skimmer search fiasco :P

As a matter of fact, I still have the unmodded one I bought from fish tanks direct. Canceled the order when I verified it wouldn't be in stock, but Cadlights sent it out anyway and I got charged.

Try it out! :)

I am really sorry to read about the tank struggles. It sounds like the worst might be over? I hope so!

Thank you! I'll have a batter idea once I've given the tank another thorough once-over this weekend, but let's hope so! :)

Thank you! I'll have a batter idea once I've given the tank another thorough once-over this weekend, but let's hope so! :)

Finger crossed for stability and continued improvement!

ouch

Don't I know it x:

Finger crossed for stability and continued improvement!

Thank you! fingerscrossed

So sorry to hear your struggles Maria. Hoping that the worst is over at this point and your tank can start to recover.

Let's hope! - and hey, you've provided an important tool, pre-modded to fit my tank :P

Let's hope! - and hey, you've provided an important tool, pre-modded to fit my tank :P

Well I a glad to see it is working! I'm still trying to decide what to do for a skimmer on my Fusion 20. Thinking of just building my own airstone skimmer.

• 2 weeks later...

Some things are bouncing back, some aren't. And there was some algae growth, and I noticed the water level just a bit higher than usual.

Guess whose ATO magnet decided to start rusting. :angry:

So I ordered a replacement magnet and will see if I can rig the float switch to stay in place - if not, manual top off until the replacement gets here.

Poly filter pads are on their way in case there's an excess of iron in the water, so we'll see...

• 3 weeks later...

After three weeks of no updates (I have this tag line for a reason):

1. Alkalinity hit 16dKH and I only noticed when I replaced carbon/GFO and everything burned. Guess who's not using a doser anymore!

2. The skimmer's pulling awesome amounts of black gunk out of the tank. It's kind of amazing. I should take a recent photo; pretty sure it's almost full at the moment.

3. Cyano. Cyano everywhere. I ran out of nitrates, so I've been adding it while dosing microbacter and others. It's helping, so there's that.

4. Another freakish bacteria has taken to enveloping over something (like a head on the hammer coral, the remaining cyphastrea heads, a sponge, etc), creating a white opaque layer that dissolves the animal on the inside before the bacteria disperses. It's so weird. Again, slowly receding as I dose competing bacteria and give said competing bacteria the nitrates to keep up.

5. Obviously, stuff died. And no, you don't get photos :angry:

This tank's being moved out of the basement this weekend so that I'll be able to keep a closer eye.

In happier news, the freshwater tank inhabitants will be moved over into a new tank soon. The silicone seams were beginning to bubble (standard petco 10g tank), so I figured I'd get ahead of it. It's an IM Black 20, and I set it up with aqua soil as a substrate (thanks NYFishies!).

Still cloudy, of course. Apparently aqua soil releases quite a bit of ammonia when first set up, but there are so many bacterial supplements in here that after being set up Saturday, it read <1ppm ammonia, ~1ppm nitrite, 40ppm nitrate last night. I should probably start a thread somewhere..

xAKuWeT.jpg

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the 20. The new tank looks great!

Believe me, I'm even more sorry x: It's really all my fault, moving it into the basement and neglecting it. Hopefully I can correct the bacterial issues. And on the way up to the second floor, the rocks should get a nice scrubbing to remove cyano. Red Sea blue bucket arrived, so I can also get alk down a bit faster as I mix it in with the aqua vitro.

And thanks! I tried to get the details right on this one, and not just dump some Eco Complete before planting. Underneath the substrate, I have BorneoWild Balance and Minerax, along with GlasGarten BacterAE. Those are mineral and bacterial supplements. Then it's ADA power sand (more minerals, porous, etc) with more BacterAE sprinkled over it, then the normal aqua soil, then a layer of the powder-type for smaller roots. After planting and adding water, I added more BacterAE, some Microbacter, BorneoWild Bebi for added biofilm layer since this'll be housing dwarf shrimp, and Prodibio Biodigest.

...I may have gone overboard with bacterial supplements. Hence the cloudy water. :P

RIP Sebastian

Believe me, I'm even more sorry x: It's really all my fault, moving it into the basement and neglecting it. Hopefully I can correct the bacterial issues. And on the way up to the second floor, the rocks should get a nice scrubbing to remove cyano. Red Sea blue bucket arrived, so I can also get alk down a bit faster as I mix it in with the aqua vitro.

And thanks! I tried to get the details right on this one, and not just dump some Eco Complete before planting. Underneath the substrate, I have BorneoWild Balance and Minerax, along with GlasGarten BacterAE. Those are mineral and bacterial supplements. Then it's ADA power sand (more minerals, porous, etc) with more BacterAE sprinkled over it, then the normal aqua soil, then a layer of the powder-type for smaller roots. After planting and adding water, I added more BacterAE, some Microbacter, BorneoWild Bebi for added biofilm layer since this'll be housing dwarf shrimp, and Prodibio Biodigest.

...I may have gone overboard with bacterial supplements. Hence the cloudy water. :P

I love the lil' dwarf shrimpies. I like the babies. I can't wait until my livebearers start to breed again. Such fun! I'm gonna be a fish breeding addict once I'm out of school. :lol:

Skimmer gunk. I mean seriously, this stuff's opaque.

dlsWNb7.jpg

And on the topic of freshwater:

The floaters are throwing runners, and the monte carlo at the front is throwing out roots, getting taller, etc.

Hv2kgee.jpg

I'm dosing ammonium chloride (Dr Tim's) to about 2-3ppm, so far I've come back the next day to 1ppm. Still some more processing power to go, but pH is at 6.3 so I don't think it's toxic. And anyway, if it were toxic I don't think I'd have this beautiful sight all over my glass:

LH4WKIN.jpg

Teeny. Tiny. Beautiful. Organisms?!! Maybe freshwater copepods are super tiny? They're like specks of dust compared to tisbe pods, but they're definitely crawling around if you look up close. It's amazing, and I'm willing to believe they hitchhiked in on NYFishies' plants or the BacterAE really does have dormant microorganisms for dwarf shrimp food..

Archived