Top Shelf Aquatics

Bloomin' Tank of GeNRosity

FlowerMama

That's a pretty corky! I'd love to have one in my tank but I think I'm out of room :lol:

I'm glad there's been no pain! I hope they are able to arrange the surgery soon. Good luck with the snow! We're supposed to get like 8-11" up here in Chesapeake (just north of the NC state line).

• Like 3

That's a pretty corky! I'd love to have one in my tank but I think I'm out of room :lol:

I'm glad there's been no pain! I hope they are able to arrange the surgery soon. Good luck with the snow! We're supposed to get like 8-11" up here in Chesapeake (just north of the NC state line).

8-11". Geez. I'm going out w/ my dog tomorrow, before the snow plow comes and let my dog run up & down the street all crazy like he does when it snows. He loves snow. He also loves it when you throw shoveled snow onto him.

Here's a pic in previous years. I love this first one, he loves it falling into his face.

LickingSnow121909_zpsbc89b5e4.jpg

1331_zpsd7ea6ce7.jpg

But this is my favorite.

1320_zpsea24ae7f.jpg

• Like 9

We got 6" at my place. Still a respectable number.

20170107_100452_zpstkadwgn2.jpg

and Oh, this happened today. Local member sold me 18x18x8 frag tank with stand for some baby rock flowers. He was originally selling for $100 and he's had to downsize. He knows it'll be a while before they're grown but I thought it was a great deal. I like that it's only 8" deep, in a typical 10g it's too deep but at the time that was the only thing I thought I could use. Stand is homemade.

15672844_10154403215522408_6612159367725

My current 10g can go in as sump, however unless it's empty in back, like no back side, not sure as 10g won't fit the measurement due to length but if it can go in facing longways then it'll just stick out the back, it might work. If there's a back door I can just remove it as it shouldn't be structural.

• Like 7

stay warm! that's a very cool looking frag tank.

Thanks, this solves the question on having enough filtration as now I can put live rock in the bottom, put some macro and put up a light there.

• Like 2

Well dammit, we only for our typical dusting of 1/8" of powdery snow over 1/8" of frozen sleet. Just enough to cover everything, make our power grid look like a doily and make going anywhere problematic... not enough to do anything fun with (my kids still tried out sledding to better-than-hoped results).

Good luck!

• Like 1

We got 6" at my place. Still a respectable number.

20170107_100452_zpstkadwgn2.jpg

and Oh, this happened today. Local member sold me 18x18x8 frag tank with stand for some baby rock flowers. He was originally selling for $100 and he's had to downsize. He knows it'll be a while before they're grown but I thought it was a great deal. I like that it's only 8" deep, in a typical 10g it's too deep but at the time that was the only thing I thought I could use. Stand is homemade.

15672844_10154403215522408_6612159367725

My current 10g can go in as sump, however unless it's empty in back, like no back side, not sure as 10g won't fit the measurement due to length but if it can go in facing longways then it'll just stick out the back, it might work. If there's a back door I can just remove it as it shouldn't be structural.

That's a really cool little tank! I've been keeping an eye out for something similar that I could set up as a frag tank. My experiment using the 4g AIO as a frag tank is in the final stages and unless this last attempt goes really well, I'm going to have to do something else.

• Like 3

Well dammit, we only for our typical dusting of 1/8" of powdery snow over 1/8" of frozen sleet. Just enough to cover everything, make our power grid look like a doily and make going anywhere problematic... not enough to do anything fun with (my kids still tried out sledding to better-than-hoped results).

Good luck!

This isn't packable so it's not gonna be too much fun except for those that are sledding. But it's really damn cold outside. 22 feels like 8 and tonight the low is 8 feels like.....

That's a really cool little tank! I've been keeping an eye out for something similar that I could set up as a frag tank. My experiment using the 4g AIO as a frag tank is in the final stages and unless this last attempt goes really well, I'm going to have to do something else.

I hope it works out for you. Do you guys have a local group?

Well I'm glad it happened to be in our forum. I thought 100 was really good for it. Of course the most expensive part now will be a skimmer/pump. I don't have money for that or can even think about it yet until I see how I can work the sump. If a 10g doesn't fit, and I know it won't left to right then I'll have to maybe have a portion raised from the floor to let it sit out the back way. Or get the next size down that may fit in there, a 5g or 7, and have the heater and skimmer in there and maybe no dividers at all, I don't know.

• Like 1

Yes, we have a local group, that's where I've been keeping an eye out from something that might work.

Could you do a 10g cube underneath? Of course, you'd have to find a 10g cube somewhere which would cost money and defeat the purpose of doing this on the cheap.

• Like 1

I did a 5g water change, and used the siphon to clean the sand. I just didn't do anything on the left side corner where I have the 2 biggest nems and a couple more babies. I also took out the flat rock with the turf algae, put it in the sink in the strainer and used the dropper to bomb it with peroxide. A couple brittles died, as well I had two tiny rfas I'm sure won't make it but I had to sacrifice them to prevent the spread across the tank. I did it several times, then rinsed it with RO/DI and put it back in the tank. We'll see if it helps.

You can easily tell what I didn't clean in this corner.

20170107_150340_zps9rmal1bx.jpg

and a full tank shot.

20170107_150351_zpswozxj4j6.jpg

Just turned off flow & all so I can feed the nems and the babies.

• Like 7

Those are adorable pics of your dog in the snow! You can just see how much he loves it. I am jealous that you got 7". We have a mere 1" here in PA.

Nice score on the the frag tank setup, too.

• Like 1

Yes, we have a local group, that's where I've been keeping an eye out from something that might work.

Could you do a 10g cube underneath? Of course, you'd have to find a 10g cube somewhere which would cost money and defeat the purpose of doing this on the cheap.

Yeah, trying to do it on the cheap since I have to put money into a skimmer.

Those are adorable pics of your dog in the snow! You can just see how much he loves it. I am jealous that you got 7". We have a mere 1" here in PA.

Nice score on the the frag tank setup, too.

Thanks, those were shot when my hubby was still living. We had so much fun with him that day. About your snow, you'll at least get some when it comes from Canada, Minnesota, Illiinois & all east to PA the rest of the year. We only get it if something's coming from the south.

Yeah, I'll make sure he gets $100 in nems.

• Like 1

Here are the biggest, the 1/4". Now I don't know which I like better.

20170107_171234_zpssmbsfm0q.jpg

20170107_170707_zpsm8zzgy2y.jpg

Here are 2 in that left corner now. One is stuffing his face.

20170107_171327_zpsfqd5jcge.jpg

And another different one there.

20170107_171352_zpsesmxl3lm.jpg

• Like 7

One, count 'em one of mine looks like the last one you just posted - white fringe/deep purple disc. None of the others have any trace of red or orange even at 2+ months older than yours. So jealous!

All of the rest are a mix of orange or green discs, all with white tentacles... I'm guessing you're right, must be a dominant trait.

• Like 2

One, count 'em one of mine looks like the last one you just posted - white fringe/deep purple disc. None of the others have any trace of red or orange even at 2+ months older than yours. So jealous!

All of the rest are a mix of orange or green discs, all with white tentacles... I'm guessing you're right, must be a dominant trait.

These are my categories from the first batch

• Yellow or green
  • orange or orange-red
  • lavender/periwinkle/light blue
  • white/grey/brown

I loved your colors. I have only solids right now, you have more than solid. I'm jealous of that! I also wonder what you would get when you take browns, darks & let them spawn. I have noticed that orange seem to be the strongest! I notice other colors fade away but the orange remains- they're tough!

Well, I'm waiting for the females to spawn. Last time it was 5.5 wks. That puts me at spawning on the 12th which happens to be a full moon. So common girls!!!! Show me what ya got!!! I forgot my phone at work, no pics today. But one of the bigger babies moved, not sure to where. I found one and it was moved 2 inches over under the veil of a small nem. I don't see the other in that general area. Hopefully it'll pop up.

• Like 3

Oh, and I forgot to say after using the peroxide the turf algae seems to be dying down on that rock, it has lightened by half. I'll do it again this Sun. So a treatment each Sun til I can scrub it off. It's still really tightly adhering.

• Like 3