SaltCritters.com

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch

Couple more just cause Mofo is so handsome.

His favorite position:

AEnNj9F.jpg

Do you have food?

mcm2GbR.jpg

Are you sure? I think I smell food....

zMw2X7T.jpg

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Slowtwitch

Woohoo! Yay photos! He is so majestic looking! That fish is a beast and so beautiful and chill looking at the same time :wub: I am so jealous. I need a bigger tank and one of these guys! :D

Yes you do need one of these to round out your pride(?) of lions... :DB)

He is definitely a handsome Mofo :lol: That face is killing me. He's totally got the pitiful puppy dog look down! My lionfish are such beggars for food that you'd think I starve them. Must be a lionfish thing!

Yes you do need one of these to round out your pride(?) of lions... :DB)

Pride sounds about right :)

FlowerMama

Wow! You made Felicia jealous. We're all jealous of her tank and fish! I also love that puppy dog face, oh God, the HUMANITY of it all!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Mofo continues to rule the tank. Really thinking of trying to find another about his size. The triggers seem to know to keep their distance as well as the wrasse and tang. I've seen a couple smaller volitans with stunning stripe patterns but didn't pull the trigger on them because I wasn't sure they were eating and they looked a little thin. Euphyillia and leathers seem to be the only corals in this tank that are really doing well. Good thing those are some of my favorites. May have to hit up cherry corals here soon to see what I can add to the collection. Pics tomorrow...maybe.

Glad to hear Mofo is doing well! I'm in Georgia visiting my family right now and I stopped at an aquarium store in Athens just to check the place out. They had a huge 700 gallon aquarium with a big old volitan in there that was just such a beast. Such beautiful fish! Its amazing how graceful they are even though they're so large.

Do you know if there is any risk of fighting if you add a second volitan? I know the dwarf lionfish will fight if you end up with two males. Since its almost impossible to sex lionfish, its a risk to try to put two together. I don't know about how that works for the larger lionfish though.

Euphyllias and leathers are some of my favorites too, so that seems like and awesome coral combo for the tank :)

Slowtwitch

Glad to hear Mofo is doing well! I'm in Georgia visiting my family right now and I stopped at an aquarium store in Athens just to check the place out. They had a huge 700 gallon aquarium with a big old volitan in there that was just such a beast. Such beautiful fish! Its amazing how graceful they are even though they're so large.

Do you know if there is any risk of fighting if you add a second volitan? I know the dwarf lionfish will fight if you end up with two males. Since its almost impossible to sex lionfish, its a risk to try to put two together. I don't know about how that works for the larger lionfish though.

Euphyllias and leathers are some of my favorites too, so that seems like and awesome coral combo for the tank :)

I have seen several tanks with multiple Volitans in them so I'm not too worried. Philipp from KPA says he's kept 8 or more in the same tank for weeks at a time with no issues.
Slowtwitch

Have you converted any patients to reefers?

Still working on that. Had a few ask a lot of good questions. Most are turned off by start up costs..?
Sk8n Reefer

Still working on that. Had a few ask a lot of good questions. Most are turned off by start up costs..?

Free nano tank with a bridge or full mouth reconstruction ?

I have seen several tanks with multiple Volitans in them so I'm not too worried. Philipp from KPA says he's kept 8 or more in the same tank for weeks at a time with no issues.

That's good to hear! Volitans must be more chill than some of the dwarf lionfish. That will be super cool to have two big volitans in the same tank! I love that idea!!!

Slowtwitch

Free nano tank with a bridge or full mouth reconstruction ?

Hey that's not a bad idea. Maybe I could get one of the manufacturers in on that so I could buy in volume...lol

LOVE the new photos! Mofo sure looks fat and happy and I sure love the colors on that trigger. What gorgeous, huge fish! Are the triggers and Mofo getting along ok?

Corals are looking great too! I love the shape of that huge leather and all the BTA's everywhere are so pretty.

Slowtwitch

LOVE the new photos! Mofo sure looks fat and happy and I sure love the colors on that trigger. What gorgeous, huge fish! Are the triggers and Mofo getting along ok?

Corals are looking great too! I love the shape of that huge leather and all the BTA's everywhere are so pretty.

Thanks!

Other than the sailfin and yellow tang which occasionally spar, the fish really all seem to get along just fine.

Thanks!

Other than the sailfin and yellow tang which occasionally spar, the fish really all seem to get along just fine.

That's awesome! Always wonderful when you get a good balance of fish and they all get along :)

Slowtwitch

Everything looks good Doc

Thanks Kat. Hasn't been trouble free, but it's getting there. These big tanks are sure different than the Nanos.
Slowtwitch

So good looking but be careful your torch dont burn your hammer.

thanks! Those two aren't actually as close together as they look. Not much chance that they will touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank continues to plug along after a near disaster with ich and a possible contamination with carpet cleaning chemicals.

Took a few pics of the corals that survived at feeding time today. I'll post them up when I get some time tonight.

Big nem keeps looking like it wants to split but then doesn't. I need to find it a clown or two that are big enough that the lion wont eat them.

bNcddlT.jpg

Wellso looking happy

rhuPDxl.jpg

Yellow leather has nearly doubled in size since going in here and this "orange" frogspawn is growing as well.

EMcHXJC.jpg

Blue tree leather is almost a foot tall when he is fully stretched out. Not dropping branches yet.

nAdYhrU.jpg

Yellow tang photobombing the leather. This green polyp crown is getting enormous. I hope it starts dropping some daughters soon too. I'd like a couple more of these in different areas of the tank. The white polyp version to the right is shedding again. :angry:

wtg5MqO.jpg

"Gold" torch looking decidedly green and purple today. Love my torches. Need to find more nice ones. (Sk8n it's time for a trip to Cherry Corals... B) )

58U7u8U.jpg

Pink tip and Blue tip behind.

1QyI5Ho.jpg

Purple tip- Toxic green

UGTeXSU.jpg

Archived