ReefCleaners.org

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

A few unadulterated cellphone pics on the fly. Way to busy to take better shots right now, but you'll get the idea of what's going on. :D

1PcE7Wr4.jpg

2sG6wZQS.jpg

3wL1vjer.jpg

4Y2MF4EG.jpg

5ixyAMvF.jpg

6FtcTRmG.jpg

7lhDfNpv.jpg

8SZ1d5QP.jpg

9H3DVZ1M.jpg

10FuwIYP5.jpg

11FilLvge.jpg

12ynfpfXF.jpg

13cFravVk.jpg?2

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good! Just write it all off as a business expense right? :lol:

Also, I don't think I've ever seem a scoly with folded flesh like in those pics. How odd!

Looking good! Just write it all off as a business expense right? :lol:

Also, I don't think I've ever seem a scoly with folded flesh like in those pics. How odd!

Inorite. Sometimes he's a big happy donut, sometimes a deflated balloon.
jedimasterben

I have been using Gorilla glue super glue Cyanoacrylate gel. It works really well and is pretty thick. I can usually get it for around $4 for a 15g bottle and often BOGO at the local HD. I just had to glue 20+ frags (glue putty glue sandwiches) and a couple of them i got a little overzealous and dripped on my fingers... :blush: :blush: :blush:

I used a couple of bottles of that stuff about a year ago, and every single frag I glued down came back off around a month after, so I went back to buying the little 2g tubes lol.

Do yourself a favor and buy some of these: http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Insta-Cure-Ic-Gel-7oz/dp/B0024LL7MI

About $5 for 20g and it's way thicker and way easier to use than standard gel superglue.

I have always looked at those and figured that it would dry up with my luck after using only the tiniest bit out of it, so I've never gone through and got any.

I used a couple of bottles of that stuff about a year ago, and every single frag I glued down came back off around a month after, so I went back to buying the little 2g tubes lol.

I have always looked at those and figured that it would dry up with my luck after using only the tiniest bit out of it, so I've never gone through and got any.

That's the best thing about it. It doesn't dry up like the little bottles because they have a really cool two part screw-on cap. Plus they give you an extra cap. I've used up three tubes so far over the past year and I've gotten every last drop out of it. Try it you'll like it :D

jedimasterben

That's the best thing about it. It doesn't dry up like the little bottles because they have a really cool two part screw-on cap. Plus they give you an extra cap. I've used up three tubes so far over the past year and I've gotten every last drop out of it. Try it you'll like it :D

I still have around sixteen tubes of glue left, and no plans of ordering more coral for quite a while, so it'll be a while :lol:

2 in this shipment. Red face with white skirt and one that's supposed to be a pale blue and white that turned kind of brownish in shipping.

Many new goodies, saw a rock flower in there!!

• 4 weeks later...
Slowtwitch

Tank is still up and running after a near disaster with the fish. Had an outbreak of what appeared to be marine ich. Lost a big red tail trigger and a blue-eyed kole tang. Nearly lost the sailfin and niger trigger as well, but they seem to have pulled through and are acting normally once again. There have been no new outbreaks or signs of sickness in almost two weeks. I'm pretty sure that the parasite came in on a coral frag or in a shipment of snails as the fish had all been quarantined in a tank that runs copper for well over 6 weeks prior to being introduced. Haven't had time for pictures recently with everything else going on, but maybe soon.

Tank is still up and running after a near disaster with the fish. Had an outbreak of what appeared to be marine ich. Lost a big red tail trigger and a blue-eyed kole tang. Nearly lost the sailfin and niger trigger as well, but they seem to have pulled through and are acting normally once again. There have been no new outbreaks or signs of sickness in almost two weeks. I'm pretty sure that the parasite came in on a coral frag or in a shipment of snails as the fish had all been quarantined in a tank that runs copper for well over 6 weeks prior to being introduced. Haven't had time for pictures recently with everything else going on, but maybe soon.

Damn, sorry to hear. I also lost a bunch of fish recently to what I think was velvet. If you think ich came in on frags or snails, makes one question the effectiveness of fish QT. You'd really have to be diligent and qt every single thing going in, not just fish. A lot of people will qt fish, but probably won't go as far as corals and snails.

I'll be qt'ing fish from now on, but I guess it will mostly be to get them acclimated and used to my feedings rather than full disease prevention. Even though I suffered big losses, I still don't have the patience for qt'ing corals and other inverts :D

Slowtwitch

Damn, sorry to hear. I also lost a bunch of fish recently to what I think was velvet. If you think ich came in on frags or snails, makes one question the effectiveness of fish QT. You'd really have to be diligent and qt every single thing going in, not just fish. A lot of people will qt fish, but probably won't go as far as corals and snails.

I'll be qt'ing fish from now on, but I guess it will mostly be to get them acclimated and used to my feedings rather than full disease prevention. Even though I suffered big losses, I still don't have the patience for qt'ing corals and other inverts :D

Same here. I wont be setting up qt tanks for any invert purchases. I will keep the one i have for fish until i get all the fish i want. Four marine and one freshwater tanks are enough. I have learned my lesson about running a tank without the safety net of a UV sterilizer. I know its not fool proof but every little bit helps.
Slowtwitch

Sorry about the losses but I'm glad it looks like the rest are pulling through.

Same here teeny. You've certainly had your share of bad luck lately. I've been trying to get caught up on all the threads from being away for a couple weeks but its a little daunting. Seeing your pico crash was heart breaking.

Same here teeny. You've certainly had your share of bad luck lately. I've been trying to get caught up on all the threads from being away for a couple weeks but its a little daunting. Seeing your pico crash was heart breaking.

Thanks, and I know how hard it is to keep up sometimes :)

I'm sad about the crash but looking forward to doing something new!

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry to hear about the disease outbreak with the fish :( Is the huge volitan still hanging in there? I was super excited to see some photos of him being the king of this tank.

The corals are looking great though! Looks like you've made a ton of nice purchases!

Slowtwitch

So sorry to hear about the disease outbreak with the fish :( Is the huge volitan still hanging in there? I was super excited to see some photos of him being the king of this tank.

The corals are looking great though! Looks like you've made a ton of nice purchases!

Luckily I hadn't put him in the tank before the outbreak. He stayed in qt until things were stabilized. He has been in the tank about a week now. I should get some pics soon.

We had a weird power fluctuation a couple weeks ago which somehow reset my light programs to factory which is no where near intense enough. I didn't notice until just a few days ago when a few corals started going downhill. Hopefully all will be looking good again in a few days.

Luckily I hadn't put him in the tank before the outbreak. He stayed in qt until things were stabilized. He has been in the tank about a week now. I should get some pics soon.

We had a weird power fluctuation a couple weeks ago which somehow reset my light programs to factory which is no where near intense enough. I didn't notice until just a few days ago when a few corals started going downhill. Hopefully all will be looking good again in a few days.

Glad to hear the big volitan was safe! We definitely need to see some photos of him in the display tank. What have you been feeding him? Is he doing ok with the triggers and other tank mates?

Sorry about the power outage! What a pain! I'm sure your corals will perk right back up :)

Slowtwitch

Glad to hear the big volitan was safe! We definitely need to see some photos of him in the display tank. What have you been feeding him? Is he doing ok with the triggers and other tank mates?

Sorry about the power outage! What a pain! I'm sure your corals will perk right back up :)

He's eating silversides and krill.

So far no one bothers him. Of course he's the biggest fish in the tank so that helps. I have a fish store about 45 miles away holding another that's almost twice the size of this guy. Just have to get there to bring him home.

He's eating silversides and krill.

So far no one bothers him. Of course he's the biggest fish in the tank so that helps. I have a fish store about 45 miles away holding another that's almost twice the size of this guy. Just have to get there to bring him home.

I bet he is so much fun to feed! Are you target feeding him with tongs or something? I have so much fun target feeding each of my lions :)

Another huge one! That is exciting! Can't wait to see some photos!

Slowtwitch

I bet he is so much fun to feed! Are you target feeding him with tongs or something? I have so much fun target feeding each of my lions :)

Another huge one! That is exciting! Can't wait to see some photos!

I feed all the fast eaters first and then make him come take something from my hand. Photos tomorrow. Promise.

I feed all the fast eaters first and then make him come take something from my hand. Photos tomorrow. Promise.

Yay! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Slowtwitch

Yay! :happydance::happydance::happydance:

Couple of shots of Mofo at dawn before the lights ramped up. I'll get a few more with better color later.

TVh81LE.jpg?1

qMSN4Zw.jpg?1

itKH5Ja.jpg

Woohoo! Yay photos! He is so majestic looking! That fish is a beast and so beautiful and chill looking at the same time :wub: I am so jealous. I need a bigger tank and one of these guys! :D

Archived