Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Slowtwitch's Not So Nano

Slowtwitch

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ich is EVERYWHERE, you can QT till the fish dies of old age and if you stress it enough you WILL get ich or velvet. About the only thing you can treat for is internal parasites. Something stressed those fish and caused the ich. Short of a tactical nuclear strike, you WILL NOT, let me repeat that WILL NOT eliminate ich, ever. Those spores are tough customers, copper won't kill the spores.

That green polyped leather should start dropping daughter colonies soon. You can put small pieces of rock around it or shells to collect them up.

jedimasterben

Ich is EVERYWHERE, you can QT till the fish dies of old age and if you stress it enough you WILL get ich or velvet. About the only thing you can treat for is internal parasites. Something stressed those fish and caused the ich. Short of a tactical nuclear strike, you WILL NOT, let me repeat that WILL NOT eliminate ich, ever. Those spores are tough customers, copper won't kill the spores.

That green polyped leather should start dropping daughter colonies soon. You can put small pieces of rock around it or shells to collect them up.

C. irritans is a parasite. No amount of stress can induce a parasitic attack if the parasite is not present. Copper works on most strains of ich, hyposalinity works on far fewer, but chloroquine phosphate kills all of them dead in their tracks, even when they're attached to the fish and protected by its slime coat, unlike copper which only kills the free-floating theronts.

The only problem is importing more tomont cysts. They can attach to almost anything, so any coral purchased (unless it comes from a system that has been fishless with no introductions of ANYTHING for more than 72 days), any inverts, sand or rock will bring them in. They can encyst for so long that it's nearly impossible to keep it away, but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible. ;)

Copper works on ich, I should have said velvet, sorry about that, I was knee deep in my scampi and KOJAK. There's a strain of velvet called Red Sea Ich that is as close to bulletproof as you can get. It wiped out 2 systems and $4000 worth of fish and there wasn't a damn thing I could do to stop it.

jedimasterben

Copper works on ich, I should have said velvet, sorry about that, I was knee deep in my scampi and KOJAK. There's a strain of velvet called Red Sea Ich that is as close to bulletproof as you can get. It wiped out 2 systems and $4000 worth of fish and there wasn't a damn thing I could do to stop it.

I can guarantee chloroquine phosphate would take it out. CP also won't hurt your fish as long as you don't grossly overdose it.

Haven't done much updating on this tank cause there hasn't been much happening that is worth updating. Almost all LPS is now gone and still don't really know why. After the brains disintegrated, the lobos receded and the acans all dissolved, a couple of the euphyillia went rapidly downhill. The remaining few look OK, but I'm not holding my breath that they are going to recover completely. A couple of local guys who have a bunch more experience than me with reefs think there may have been some kind of bacterial or viral parasite introduced somehow. The leathers are looking good as are the gorgs. Parameters all remain relatively stable with only minor fluctuations in alk which have been corrected by the addition of a doser. Lighting has not changed nor has the salt. Fish have been fine- they are growing and have great color. BTA's have grown HUGE and I finally found a nice large Clarkii to pair with the biggest nem. She is quite the bitch when anything comes near her nem, otherwise she leaves everyone in the tank alone.

Watch your magnesium, I find that when I don't watch it, I have BIG problems.

Mg has been testing OK. On the low range of normal between water changes, but it bounces right back after every water change. Frustrating to say the least.

Any weird slime on the LPS? I've only seen 'brown jelly' hit a couple of times in my tank, but I reversed it with daily overdosing (way overdosing) of bacteria and light basting, along with lower light. It usually started because my alk dipped or rose too suddenly. :(

I had one alk "fluctuation" where it dropped to 7 but has never been above 8.5. It is steady at 8.3 now with a doser.

How is alk looking? Is it steady?

I had a Duncan colony that succumbed to brown jelly very shortly after it was put into the tank, but I've never seen it on any other coral. It had been damaged during the move when my "helper" dropped a rock on it. The weird thing is that they don't really melt away they just recede to nothing over a period of a week or two or three.

Any weird slime on the LPS? I've only seen 'brown jelly' hit a couple of times in my tank, but I reversed it with daily overdosing (way overdosing) of bacteria and light basting, along with lower light. It usually started because my alk dipped or rose too suddenly. :(

Haven't done much updating on this tank cause there hasn't been much happening that is worth updating. Almost all LPS is now gone and still don't really know why. After the brains disintegrated, the lobos receded and the acans all dissolved, a couple of the euphyillia went rapidly downhill. The remaining few look OK, but I'm not holding my breath that they are going to recover completely. A couple of local guys who have a bunch more experience than me with reefs think there may have been some kind of bacterial or viral parasite introduced somehow. The leathers are looking good as are the gorgs. Parameters all remain relatively stable with only minor fluctuations in alk which have been corrected by the addition of a doser. Lighting has not changed nor has the salt. Fish have been fine- they are growing and have great color. BTA's have grown HUGE and I finally found a nice large Clarkii to pair with the biggest nem. She is quite the bitch when anything comes near her nem, otherwise she leaves everyone in the tank alone.

Sounds like a bacterial infection to me. :(

Sounds like a bacterial infection to me. :(

That's what we have come to think as well. Only is affecting LPS though. Softies (leathers, nems, palys and gorgs) look good. What to do about it? The remaining euphylia are mortared into the rock work.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about the LPS issues. I've had a lot of issues with LPS and never really understood the cause. It can be incredibly frustrating. I'm glad to hear the softies, gorgonians and nems are doing well though! And that the fish are doing well! I'd love to see some new photos whenever you feel like posting them :)

Sorry to hear about the LPS issues. I've had a lot of issues with LPS and never really understood the cause. It can be incredibly frustrating. I'm glad to hear the softies, gorgonians and nems are doing well though! And that the fish are doing well! I'd love to see some new photos whenever you feel like posting them :)

Not much to look at right now. I need to restock now that the death spiral seems to have stopped. Ill post this here for now.

sxpGAz7.jpg

Pb9kJDl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree sounds like you picked up a bad disease/ bacteria since everything else seems fine and parameters were stable.... that said are you running a good bit of carbon? If you have alot of gorgs and leathers/ softies its possible theres some chemical warfare going on as well. Glad to hear things seem to have stopped declining atleast :)

• 3 weeks later...

Decided to take a few pics of the tank at feeding time today. I should probably try to do this as a video since most of the fish are way too fast to try to get good still shots. Maybe one day...

DTpGE12.jpg

qlsgH4U.jpg

zJ7l8aK.jpg

ca9g3TF.jpg

DVoknPl.jpg

FVnxcgt.jpg?1

Sj32wjb.jpg

LNc9CV3.jpg

This clown mainly sleeps in this nem, however, she cares for all 5 nems in the tank as well as the two torches that are nearby

lwCcVNj.jpg

Xqu2BLB.jpg

aTCoQAM.jpg

Archived