Top Shelf Aquatics

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

I had a possum wrasse for quite awhile. Great little fish. He never bothered anybody else in the tank and no one seemed to bother him at all either. Very active hunter in and around the rocks. You will not have a pod population for long once he goes into the tank. I'm not really sure what happened to him, but he j just stopped swimming one day. I think I paid about $20 when I got him. I was just recently thinking of replacing him and when I saw they were going for $50+ I was a little surprised. $90+ is really nuts.

cool, ya I was shocked when I saw 94 bucks- maybe it's well trained ?. ya, I'd plan on adding pods regularly for him to hunt!

This made me laugh :)

I do not have experiences with either the TSBs or the possum wrasses, but I think they will have no problems since they are such different types of fish. I know teeny had his TSB in with a pink streaked (I think) so I'm thinking you should be fine....

ya, Benny's pretty chill too- he was hanging around the clowns yesterday- sometimes he does that- goes and bothers them all day ?

I haven't done any research recently, but I have some vague impression that Pink Streaked Wrasses and Possum Wrasses are sort of similar, so, based on that in depth information, I say go for it!

But for that price, I wonder if you could get one from Divers Den or Live Aquaria including shipping, and that way you'd get the 15 day guarantee. To me that's a huge advantage over my LFS's "no guarantee on marine fish" policy.

ya, for some reason I have a hard time buying a fish without seeing it first. I did look at Live Aquaria and they are about 50- so with another 30ish for next day air I am closed to that price so not a huge difference. This is a different LFS then I usually go to also and their tanks are not as "clean" as my favorite LFS but this guy looked really healthy and he's been there since late April- maybe I'll ask if they can do better on that price?
  • Like 1

cool, ya I was shocked when I saw 94 bucks- maybe it's well trained . ya, I'd plan on adding pods regularly for him to hunt!

ya, Benny's pretty chill too- he was hanging around the clowns yesterday- sometimes he does that- goes and bothers them all day

ya, for some reason I have a hard time buying a fish without seeing it first. I did look at Live Aquaria and they are about 50- so with another 30ish for next day air I am closed to that price so not a huge difference. This is a different LFS then I usually go to also and their tanks are not as "clean" as my favorite LFS but this guy looked really healthy and he's been there since late April- maybe I'll ask if they can do better on that price

Tell them you are doing them a favor by taken their unwanted fish off their hands

• Like 2

haha, its quiet amusing seeing you all talk about fish prices. Here in New Zealand a very cheap fish is $70 which would get you a dart fish or a bi-colour blenny, those prices do not come up often either. Generally a blenny would be $100 easy.

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

haha, its quiet amusing seeing you all talk about fish prices. Here in New Zealand a very cheap fish is $70 which would get you a dart fish or a bi-colour blenny, those prices do not come up often either. Generally a blenny would be $100 easy.

Dang, what about coral is it the reverse- sps cheaper?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

So not wanting to add any additional corals till the Dino's are uncontrol (not yet but getting better) I went fish shopping last weekend. I picked up a big fat yellow banded possum wrasse ? And a shrimp goby pair- yasha and candy cane shrimp. Possum is making friends with the clowns and Benny the blenny and cruising around ( I added a bottle of pods to replenish them ) I saw the pistol for about 2 min. Then he dived in the rock and the goby disappeared after the first night. I was a little worried about the pair but they resurfaced last night ? Pics to come this week

• Like 5

So not wanting to add any additional corals till the Dino's are uncontrol (not yet but getting better) I went fish shopping last weekend. I picked up a big fat yellow banded possum wrasse And a shrimp goby pair- yasha and candy cane shrimp. Possum is making friends with the clowns and Benny the blenny and cruising around ( I added a bottle of pods to replenish them ) I saw the pistol for about 2 min. Then he dived in the rock and the goby disappeared after the first night. I was a little worried about the pair but they resurfaced last night Pics to come this week

Glad to see that everything is moving in the right direction. I think it is a smart move to get marine creatures that are not impacted by the tank stabilizing but still help you enjoy your hobby. If I knew how to give you a thumbs up icon I would, ha ha!

• Like 1

Ouch.......time to take a boat out and do some diving

haha yea.. we dont have tropical waters down here.

More luck finding a great white than some SPS.

• Like 1

I could put that in my Pico though right? I've always wanted one.?
  • Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

What do you mean? All I see is "deep water Aussie acros" ?

I could put that in my Pico though right? I've always wanted one.?

Much better luck with Tiger sharks ?

• Like 2

What do you mean? All I see is "deep water Aussie acros"

Much better luck with Tiger sharks

Haha we dont have tiger sharks, just Great whites and hammer heads and a few others. But yip they will fit in your pico haha

nzisnotaustralia.jpg?w=588

• Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

Haha we dont have tiger sharks, just Great whites and hammer heads and a few others. But yip they will fit in your pico haha

nzisnotaustralia.jpg?w=588

hahaha- that's awesome - but still you'd think there's an acro out there in the water ?
  • Like 1

hahaha- that's awesome - but still you'd think there's an acro out there in the water

I looked it up...there are acros. But they are on the protected list along with a bunch of others. Great whites would be deterrent enough for me LOL.
  • Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Got some shots yesterday of the wrasse and some ransoms. Tanks looking better but still getting Dino's in the gravel but now it's not back over night- it's more like every 3 days ?

Here's my new guy- super cool fish, always on the move and make my clowns swim around alittle more. I put in a bottle of pods and heading out today to pick up a few more for him. I can't look at coral, no, no ,no ?

Colors are alittle dull, I need to make some adjustments on the camera

AAHuufj.jpg

wD9Xom4.jpg

One big happy family ?

P8392eV.jpg

And my goby and shrimp pair........they did find each other and now are hidden most of the day. Saw them both for 20 seconds yesterday.......how this goby gets enough food I don't know. I squirt little pieces in and around the hole a few time a day. Picture of them both will be a challenge- maybe they will eventually come out more

oaXjpmF.jpg

This shots all wrong, to dark and bad angle but I like it ?

HBTZfnq.jpg

Seasons greetings doing good

0yQMH8E.jpg

One of the remaining acros that's been doing well- getting some green color back on its tips but really good PE

dYWjOXe.jpg

Transferred this acro back from the nuvo- my 10.00 frag - hope he continues to do well. Cool looking frag

jdSltgY.jpg

Reverse sunset still doing well

RFXHLRm.jpg

Been outside a lot and having fun playing on my skateboard ? Getting ready to pour another section that ties into this one......whoops a little spill ?

BX7ydgj.jpg

• Like 14

Great update! I love all the new additions, especially the possum wrasse.

I'm so glad the dinos are improving. It's so weird how they seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere and completely take over, but then gradually go away after time.

• Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Great update! I love all the new additions, especially the possum wrasse.

I'm so glad the dinos are improving. It's so weird how they seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere and completely take over, but then gradually go away after time.

Thanks man, ya still lingering but not over powering. Really like the possum - super mellow, I may look at a monti today, no no I can't - doesn't hurt to look right ?
  • Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Ahh you guys (everyone not where i am) get such cool live stock!

that wrasse is awesome!

Ya, he/she is a cool little one.......ya but your in NZ ?
  • Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

you just remained me I need pods. did you get locally or online?

locally- which is nice- I am gonna stock up for the wrasse

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

Added a new piece of art next to the tank from our favorite local artist El Kuhn. He does some super cool pieces and they go well in our tiki room ?

845024f0974fbb6a799a1f80ed0e8ee8_zpshsco

254b59fe504b248f16e9565500311919_zpswumt

Added in the Pavona and Spongnoid that were healing up in the Nuvo.......unfortunately I transferred my Dino's to the Nuvo ? Not as bad but they are there

• Like 4