Cultivated Reef

Moai of the Sea!

Sk8n Reefer

Sk8n Reefer

Wow Scott, I was kind of worrying about you. I am sorry that you were dealing with sinusitis on top of tank issues. I used to get that every late spring and early summer when the trees were pollinating. Hopefully you are on the mend and I am glad to see that the tank is beginning to rebound. Dinos strike fear in the heart of every reefer, I think. I have never dealt with them but they still scare me. It seems like you have a good plan in place. Good luck!

Thanks Dawn, ya anytime I have a respitory issue its bad cause I am dealing with other lung issues so it really sets me back and drops my oxygen saturation so I have to be careful. It got pretty bad this time

The tank is maintaining- Dino are still present but not growing as strong staying mostly in the rocks. I think if I keep my current system going of 5.5ml of hydrogen peroxide , heavy skimming and 5 gal. W/C weekly it will slowly die off- I am hoping. Corals are still doing well. I've taken the doser offline cause the usage is fairly minimal so I am back to manual dosing and checking Alk. Every few days.

it actually didn't come back. Thanks <3

Awesome!

• Like 5
Sk8n Reefer

I dare say the Dino's have not come back as strong this morning and are actually fading slightly........I may have turned a corner here?

• Like 9

I dare say the Dino's have not come back as strong this morning and are actually fading slightly........I may have turned a corner here

omgomgomg

I hope the improvement continues! :scarry:

• Like 2

I dare say the Dino's have not come back as strong this morning and are actually fading slightly........I may have turned a corner here

with the h202 do you need to wean the tank off it? or can you just stop cold turkey once the dinos are gone?

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

omgomgomg

I hope the improvement continues! :scarry:

Thanks man, me too- it's nice to see some happier corals. I have to get some pics tomorrow, the one acro frag that I added last is doing really well and showing some green color on its tips ? I am not running the T5's on the light right either and a little shorter photo period until the Dino's are all gone. I need to borrow my lfs par meter and fine tone. Aiptasia really love Dino's - they are still doing fantastic- damn things

with the h202 do you need to wean the tank off it? or can you just stop cold turkey once the dinos are gone?

Not sure- I'll talk to my lfs. I imagine you could wean it off to not have any major changes occur

• Like 2

crossing my fingers that you're at the tail end of this! what an ordeal for you to have to deal with :(

Glad you're on the mend too.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

crossing my fingers that you're at the tail end of this! what an ordeal for you to have to deal with :(

Glad you're on the mend too.

Thanks Stellablue, skimmer cranking pretty good to so I am having some luck! Been blowing the Dino's off the rock and the sand and then changing out the floss every few days and skimmer sock every 4 days trying to knock it down.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

aside from the obvious, would you do it again for a larger tank? i have an offer to get a 65gal from my nuvo16.

thanks

Always ? Much more going on though, my Nuvo is pretty easy to make adjustments to. What lighting would you do?
  • Like 2
Sk8n Reefer

Frags are still available ;) I just found a chunky piece of forest fire digi sitting on the rack and glued it up!

Thanks man, almost ready- I hope! Those are beautiful corals- they seemed to be valued differently around here. I've seen them for as alittle 30.00 a frag and up to 80.00 ?

• Like 2

Always ? Much more going on though, my Nuvo is pretty easy to make adjustments to. What lighting would you do?

It would be a radion 30 and a 15... For now.

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

So it's been awhile since I've posted some pics so here we go. Although I've been slacking on posting I've been pretty diligent on the war with the Dino's. It's been slow but making ever so slight gains. They are still coming back but not at the magnitude in which they were in the beginning. Still dosing hydrogen peroxide daily and keeping the skimmer working to a high degree. I vacuum out Dino's about every 3-4 days. Still seeing growth in the sand but not nearly as bad on the rocks ?

FTS - looking pretty empty ?

XoFWdlo.jpg

The lone Acro left over here- this was the last piece I added before the crash- brown but getting some green on the tips- looks better from the top down

16Phqxx.jpg

Purple stylo still holding on but not great color yet. Seeing a little new growth......maybe

v10iHLa.jpg

A little fragged piece that I will reglue to the main colony soon

ldQSqs9.jpg

Red monti that held on strong through everything

b1w937x.jpg

Lfcm5MS.jpg

Season's greetings also held on and is showing some white growth on the outer ridges

vwYuqU5.jpg

Idaho grape frag starting to get some color back

17qT9KI.jpg

Bird of paradise still not coloring it's skin up but having good PE

hf4WhDA.jpg

Benny our Tailspot wondering where to camp out next

bUxqNzk.jpg

• Like 9
Sk8n Reefer

It looks like this are starting to come around. I'm sure you will have full and looking sweet in no time.

Thanks man, I think it is slowly- gonna get everyone healthy again and then start to think about acros again ?

did u see Kat's post in her thread about using MBClean to battle dino??

I did catch that she was looking at trying that for some Dino's in her sump....what is that MBClean ?

• Like 4

Thanks man, I think it is slowly- gonna get everyone healthy again and then start to think about acros again

I did catch that she was looking at trying that for some Dino's in her sump....what is that MBClean ?

Microbacter Clean (instead of the MB7). She posted that it seemed to work well.

I have a bottle of DinoX that I was going to try in my 4g tank, but I crashed it the day I got the bottle. So I'm saving it just in case I need it someday.

I had the same experience when I got dinos in my frag tank, btw, all the montis seemed to be mostly unaffected by it, although nearly all the rest of the SPS rolled over and died.

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

Good to see that you are noticing improvement. Fingers crossed that things continue in a positive direction.

Microbacter Clean (instead of the MB7). She posted that it seemed to work well.

I have a bottle of DinoX that I was going to try in my 4g tank, but I crashed it the day I got the bottle. So I'm saving it just in case I need it someday.

I had the same experience when I got dinos in my frag tank, btw, all the montis seemed to be mostly unaffected by it, although nearly all the rest of the SPS rolled over and died.

so glad to see the tank rebounding!

Thanks everyone, I am hoping it's keeps trending in the right direction ? I think I should pick ip some of that microbacteria but a little worried about adding something new to the process now but if Kat's seeing good results I should probably try it

• Like 3
Sk8n Reefer

thinking about getting a yellow banded possum wrasse. Just saw one at my LFS and man are they cool. I passed on him last weekend but if he is still around this weekend I may have to bring em home. A little pricy though - 94.00- ouch wasn't planning on spending that much on a fish- an acro frag yes but not a fish- funny how that is.

hopefully it will get along with my tail spot - anyone have experience with possum wrasses and how do you think the tail spot will get along

• Like 2

thinking about getting a yellow banded possum wrasse. Just saw one at my LFS and man are they cool. I passed on him last weekend but if he is still around this weekend I may have to bring em home. A little pricy though - 94.00- ouch wasn't planning on spending that much on a fish- an acro frag yes but not a fish- funny how that is.

hopefully it will get along with my tail spot - anyone have experience with possum wrasses and how do you think the tail spot will get along

I had a possum wrasse for quite awhile. Great little fish. He never bothered anybody else in the tank and no one seemed to bother him at all either. Very active hunter in and around the rocks. You will not have a pod population for long once he goes into the tank. I'm not really sure what happened to him, but he j just stopped swimming one day. I think I paid about $20 when I got him. I was just recently thinking of replacing him and when I saw they were going for $50+ I was a little surprised. $90+ is really nuts.

• Like 2

This made me laugh :)

I do not have experiences with either the TSBs or the possum wrasses, but I think they will have no problems since they are such different types of fish. I know teeny had his TSB in with a pink streaked (I think) so I'm thinking you should be fine....

• Like 2

This made me laugh :)

I do not have experiences with either the TSBs or the possum wrasses, but I think they will have no problems since they are such different types of fish. I know teeny had his TSB in with a pink streaked (I think) so I'm thinking you should be fine....

I haven't done any research recently, but I have some vague impression that Pink Streaked Wrasses and Possum Wrasses are sort of similar, so, based on that in depth information, I say go for it!

But for that price, I wonder if you could get one from Divers Den or Live Aquaria including shipping, and that way you'd get the 15 day guarantee. To me that's a huge advantage over my LFS's "no guarantee on marine fish" policy.

• Like 2