Cultivated Reef

Lawnman's Red Sea Reefer 170

Lawnman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lawn,

I am thinking about upgrading to a Reefer 170. How do you like the AI Prime? Was it hard to set up?

Seems like a lot of people complain about the App and programming it.

Thanks,

David

Lawn, how does one do water changes when it will add water automatically when the sump is low? There is no valve or plug on the ATO so it'll just pour in.

Or am I missing something?

Can I see a sump-picture? Are you using the 3g container or an external ATO reservoir?

Lawn, how does one do water changes when it will add water automatically when the sump is low? There is no valve or plug on the ATO so it'll just pour in.

You can just turn off the ATO pump when changing water. Or turn off the return and siphon from the DT.

You can just turn off the ATO pump when changing water. Or turn off the return and siphon from the DT.

There is no ATO pump, in the Red Sea Reefer it uses a float switch. I was planning on siphoning from the sump since it seems like as the lowest part of the tank it would gather the most detritus but could do it from the display I guess. Shut off the pump, mark where water level in display ends up, drain, refill back to that level, turn pump back on.

There is no ATO pump, in the Red Sea Reefer it uses a float switch. I was planning on siphoning from the sump since it seems like as the lowest part of the tank it would gather the most detritus but could do it from the display I guess. Shut off the pump, mark where water level in display ends up, drain, refill back to that level, turn pump back on.

How about just keeping the float in place then? So it doesn't trigger.

This! Exactly what I was going to say. put something on it or prop it during water changes.

Hmm, yes that would word. Or a small valve since it uses flexible tubing?

Bingo ;) I think it is the same 1/4" line that the RO units use so go to HD and get a slip valve and put it in.

Hey Lawn,

I am thinking about upgrading to a Reefer 170. How do you like the AI Prime? Was it hard to set up?

Seems like a lot of people complain about the App and programming it.

Thanks,

David

I love the AI Prime it's doing a awesome job for me. It took me a few hours to figure out the app but it's easy now.

Can I see a sump-picture? Are you using the 3g container or an external ATO reservoir?

This! Exactly what I was going to say. put something on it or prop it during water changes.

Bingo ;) I think it is the same 1/4" line that the RO units use so go to HD and get a slip valve and put it in.

You turn the return pump off and the display back siphons a few gallons into the sump. This raises the float valve up. Then you siphon out the waterchange water from the display. Then I pump my new water into the sump and turn the return pump back on.

You turn the return pump off and the display back siphons a few gallons into the sump. This raises the float valve up. Then you siphon out the waterchange water from the display. Then I pump my new water into the sump and turn the return pump back on.

That's to easy :lol:

I do remember that though turning of the return and the sump grows a little.....

Using the square container it came with.

So when does the red ball of goodness show up ?

I have emailed KP a few times and get nothing back.....I guess they just like you :P they don't want my business.....

Archived