SaltCritters.com

Heifinator's 90G Rimless Cube - Zeovit

heifinator

After 7 months its finally alive...

*Sorry for cell phone quality. Will upload some nice pics this weekend.*

wow. you must not have kids! i do like the display nature of the stand. the illumination is good as well.

heifinator

Wow I love the sump and how clean the inside of your stand is!

Looks like you can't really view the protein skimmer and other equipment inside the sump given the accessibility of the stand. Was this ever a problem and would you have changed anything in the design in hindsight.

Honestly I didn't have many options. a 30x30 cube is probably one of the hardest dimensions to work with and keep looking nice. There is a HUGE list of problems to overcome, including:

• Stand dimensions and fitting thru doors
  • Stand dimensions do not cater well to factory sumps
  • Stand dimensions do not cater well to wire management or electronics housing
  • Tank is heavy and small footprint causing loading issues on stand & floor

The stand is 36x34x32 meaning it BARELY fits through a front entry door. If I made it taller I would have more skimmer room but that would have made it never fit in the house.

I have around 5" of clearance above the skimmer which is plenty, I can visually inspect the skimmer, remove the collection cup, and even remove the skimmer if needed.

You will notice my return and drain plumbing under the stand has bulkheads. The whole sump is designed in a way which it can be pulled out easily for cleaning and maintenance.

I intend to remove my skimmer and return pump every 6 months for maintenance and my whole sump once per year for cleaning. I anticipate this process will take ~3 hours.

The whole idea was to create a fully self contained system under a 30x30 cube, something rarely done cleanly. It was a massive challenge and I spent countless hours sketching it up and mocking up various elements. Getting it to all fit was one thing, making it look nice and be functional was a nightmare. That being said, it worked!

To answer your question, no, I am not unhappy with anything. This was actually the second stand I made, after I completed the first stand I was very unhappy with things and instead of looking at something I hated for years I tore it up, threw it away and started over.

wow. you must not have kids! i do like the display nature of the stand. the illumination is good as well.

No kiddos, you are correct sir.

Will you leave the sump area open? Looks great!

The sump will be getting cover panels that magnetically attach to the stand, however all 3 panels will include a black tinted slightly frosted glass pane within them. Hence why they are not done yet!

• Like 1

Looks very good. Soon as I saw your sketchup plans on the first stand I knew that was going to be a disaster. Glad you got it fixed up.

What are those dosing containers? Looks like something you made. Capacities?

• 1 year later...

one year later...

This tank has been a roller coaster. Been over a year since I last checked in and I can't say things have been going well. Between tank neglect, and various pest problems I have had my hands full.

Only this summer have things settled down and I had the time to really get the tank back into good shape. I finally after weeks of effort have gotten the po4 levels back to a reasonable level and am starting to put some quality live stock from my frag system back into this tank.

I will have pictures to share in the next few days. For now though, a video of Herman the Jawfish.

• Like 1