Heifinator's 90G Rimless Cube - Zeovit

heifinator

I got pictures of the sump today! :D:D:D

KKmSAsD.jpg

YBIeTFr.jpg

lwIHtVF.jpg

MDeFrlW.jpg

kKUX0SB.jpg

Looks like a freaking spaceship. I WISH I NEEDED A COOL SUMP LIKE THAT! Mine just looks like an acrylic box. Basically 90% of the sumps on the market.

Looks like a freaking spaceship. I WISH I NEEDED A COOL SUMP LIKE THAT! Mine just looks like an acrylic box. Basically 90% of the sumps on the market.

I can't really say I "needed" a sump like this... It was over the top but man is it cool! :P

Updated design. I put a outline of the tank on top of it. Built with 3/4" oak ply and 1x4-6 dimensional lumber.

The reason I am going oversized is to fit everything as pictured. The stand would have a 3/4" oak ply covering it as well that is not pictured. Any advice appreciated. I am concerned about distributing the ~800lb load to the vertical supports. I want to stay with 1 by material to save space as every inch counts!

FPAjVw5.jpg?1

RvI1B2T.jpg?1

ITc2ws9.jpg?1

w5wpTC5.jpg?1

Looks good to me. People grossly underestimate the strength of 3/4 ply and 1x lumber, looks overbuilt by a fair amount (which is always good).

Looks good to me. People grossly underestimate the strength of 3/4 ply and 1x lumber, looks overbuilt by a fair amount (which is always good).

I modified it slightly to reduce weight a bit. Still should be overbuilt.

GFbIpCa.jpg

fl0oj8F.jpg

JIqsFSc.jpg

• Like 1

I over built my biocube 29 stand by 500 lbs, my stand will hold almost half a ton. Yours should be fine. Personally I would run 2x4s across the top instead of the 2 1x2s and if possible put a cross beam in the middle of the top to reduce bending/stress.

I over built my biocube 29 stand by 500 lbs, my stand will hold almost half a ton. Yours should be fine. Personally I would run 2x4s across the top instead of the 2 1x2s and if possible put a cross beam in the middle of the top to reduce bending/stress.

They are 1x4's. I have been told that even without ANY of the 1x4's it would be within safety margins for sag just with good plywood... I would never do that but I get what your saying about a cross beam, good point.

• Like 1
Paleoreef103

Please say you're going to cable manage the crap out of this stand and you'll keep the front open. That sump is to awesome to hide.

• Like 1

I am going to cable manage the crap out of it but the stand will be closed. As much as the sump is awesome I don't want to detract from the point of the tank which isn't the hardware!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The stand is done and I stayed up way to late last night plumbing everything!

Will post a full picture write up of the system later tonight but here is what I have right now.

LsJ4wPp.jpg?1

oZihNf1.jpg?1

hi0n1Vt.jpg?1

0CiNZ2T.jpg?1

H4l4U8V.jpg?1

• Like 2

Well the first hurdle has arrived.

My stand is wonky, not sure why... The front edge of the sides are bowing out as I add water. No way am I going to risk that. I think the issue is the lack of a face frame, sadly with the way I designed everything there is no good way to add such a frame without a significant tear down.

Will update when I get this resolved :P

• 4 months later...
heifinator

After 7 months its finally alive...

*Sorry for cell phone quality. Will upload some nice pics this weekend.*

MOVAbAW.jpg?1

qJCuYJK.jpg?1

lCDptVD.jpg?1

kOoCgtd.jpg?1

8MoZHmf.jpg?1

oNSlHXu.jpg?1

CXYnJvP.jpg?1

StJfU1H.jpg?1

• Like 7

Wow I love the sump and how clean the inside of your stand is!

Looks like you can't really view the protein skimmer and other equipment inside the sump given the accessibility of the stand. Was this ever a problem and would you have changed anything in the design in hindsight?