Cultivated Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

wont iron also increase the BAD algae?  

Let the tank settle down after the changes you just did. Adding this and that just seems like a recipe for something else to get wonky! 

-Dave

• Like 1
On 1/16/2018 at 3:34 AM, xiaoxiy said:

Flourish iron is Iron Gluconate. Basically one of the forms Randy recommends.

Got a bottle of Kent Iron and Manganese and somehow package got damaged on the way from Amazon.

So just quickly went into my LFS and picked up a bottle of Aquavitro Propel.

Not sure why they advertise it to be the same gluconate as Flourish and then a slow release Fe but they don’t mention anything about what it is etc

Looked in the Seachem forum and they were trying to tell another person that Propel is not like Flourish, although the label states otherwise . Oh well. I’ll see how this works. I started with 2ml/week for a 25G system. Too much?

I thought the tank looked cloudy for 10 min or so after adding it, I’m sure I wasn’t seeing things....

3 hours ago, Andreww said:

Got a bottle of Kent Iron and Manganese and somehow package got damaged on the way from Amazon.

So just quickly went into my LFS and picked up a bottle of Aquavitro Propel.

Not sure why they advertise it to be the same gluconate as Flourish and then a slow release Fe but they don’t mention anything about what it is etc

Looked in the Seachem forum and they were trying to tell another person that Propel is not like Flourish, although the label states otherwise . Oh well. I’ll see how this works. I started with 2ml/week for a 25G system. Too much?

I thought the tank looked cloudy for 10 min or so after adding it, I’m sure I wasn’t seeing things....

Tank definitely clouds up immediately after dosing. I'm running 5mls/week on my 50 gallon system, dosed with a Nanodoser1. It's like my 2nd week dosing so I'm definitely no expert.... Nothing seems to be dying due to the dosing, and the greens on my corals are way more vibrant. Chaeto seems to be growing a bit faster, but I don't have an objective measure.

Yeah, I read if the tank is Iron deficient we will know for sure by the greener macro and green pigment in coral becoming more vibrant... It would be interesting to see in the long run if this actually helps. I have hope for my macro...lol

Gave it light, nutrients, flow, now Iron.

Maybe it will take off finally lol

I been running the chaeto light 24/7 and I am seeing good growth already =).  I also made an online order for corals.  I know I shouldn't since my tank isn't in the greatest shape but I can't help myself.  First online order in like 2 years!  Mostly zoas.  I decided to start collecting and growing more zoas.  Got myself some candy apple reds, blue eye blondies, vivid rainbows, rainbow hornets, and more.  Should be here next Friday.

• Like 5

New corals arrived. Love them. If you never shopped at MyReefToYours.com before, definitely check them out.  Free shipping at $155 and their zoas are on fire!   Photos taken a couple of hours after I put them in the tank.  

25046428727_f968d6c2f3_z.jpg

A freebie that's as good as the designer zoas. 

39918066561_7a2717c543_z.jpg

Rainbow hornet.  This zoa was the reason I placed an order.  Sooo nice.

25046424337_7a917f4cf0_z.jpg

Blondies

25046426517_f95f40edae_z.jpg

Vivid rainbows.  More orange than my Sunny Ds

39918064921_f20f5fd70c_z.jpg

Candy Apple Red.  Color a little faded from shipping.

39918063511_f205ac7808_z.jpg

Random octospawn photo from my tank

25046422657_90caa62163_z.jpg

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

I made a deep scratch down the center of the tank.  I am devastated, crying inside.  It's very long scratch and very noticeable.  It's INSIDE the tank.  Happened when I was movin a frag rack up and down so I can clean the glass.  I know this will drive me nuts.  Started looking at a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL but sooo expensive...  

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

sorry to hear about the scratch. that's a real bummer.

I have a request, when you get a chance, I'd really love to see the side-by-side shot of the vivid rainbow vs sunny d's. you mentioned that they look quite different in your tank.

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

I made a deep scratch down the center of the tank.  I am devastated, crying inside.  It's very long scratch and very noticeable.  It's INSIDE the tank.  Happened when I was movin a frag rack up and down so I can clean the glass.  I know this will drive me nuts.  Started looking at a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL but sooo expensive...  

NOOOOOOOOOOO :(. Pics of this disaster?

16 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Oh, no! I've made scratches the same way moving frag racks, it was one of the reasons I decided to start the 30g frag tank, just so I could stop using frag racks in the main tank. 

I support the idea of going with the 525XL, though :D

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, ninjamyst said:

Started looking at a Red Sea Reefer 525 XL but sooo expensive...  

On 2/4/2018 at 2:29 PM, teenyreef said:

I support the idea of going with the 525XL, though :D

^^ This, 100% :D.  And you can pull @HarryPotter's move, and make your 350 a "frag tank".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate this tank.  Dino keeps coming back.  Acros lost all colors.  Bubble tip is on its way out.  Lost almost all my RFAs.  Turf algae and dino taken over the zoas.  The long scratch long the middle of the tank is driving me into depression.  Starting Dino X dosing tonight.  If this fails, will be taking down the tank.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Have you tried any hardcore blackouts? Won't be nice for the SPS but manual removal and complete repeated blackouts with blankets over the tank and everything killed off my dino.

Personally, I did not find macro to be helpful, my macro tanks always seemed to get dino the worst. 

• Like 1