Pod Your Reef

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

4 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Hey Ninja. Food for thought here; I've had 3 dino outbreaks in my tank, and the only thing that was able to beat them back each time was increasing my feeding and dosing vibrant once every 2 weeks. For some reason, I always get dino outbreaks when I try to cut back on feeding; I wonder if it just thrives in a lower-nutrient system but gets outcompeted in a higher nutrient system by other algae.

My last outbreak was about 3 weeks ago, after I tried to cut from feeding 1.5 cubes to 1 cube a day. After 1 week of feeding 2 cubes a day and manual removal, my tank was dino free.

This thread here might explain why it goes away with increased feedings. Dinos seem to thrive on low nutrients. I got rid of mine by increasing nutrients as well, but the dino came back recently because I have been too busy to monitor my nutrient levels and it bottomed out again.

@ninjamyst run extra carbon, and check your nitrates/phosphates? 

• Like 1

My wife got carjacked on Christmas Eve.  Lost the car, purse, phone, house keys, everything.  Dealing with the aftermath right now so haven't been paying attention to the tank.  Dino is coming back strong....

11 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Hey Ninja. Food for thought here; I've had 3 dino outbreaks in my tank, and the only thing that was able to beat them back each time was increasing my feeding and dosing vibrant once every 2 weeks. For some reason, I always get dino outbreaks when I try to cut back on feeding; I wonder if it just thrives in a lower-nutrient system but gets outcompeted in a higher nutrient system by other algae.

My last outbreak was about 3 weeks ago, after I tried to cut from feeding 1.5 cubes to 1 cube a day. After 1 week of feeding 2 cubes a day and manual removal, my tank was dino free.

My dino started when I left for vacation for a month so probably due to nutrient INCREASE =(.

• Sad 2
12 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My wife got carjacked on Christmas Eve.  Lost the car, purse, phone, house keys, everything.  Dealing with the aftermath right now so haven't been paying attention to the tank.  Dino is coming back strong....

My dino started when I left for vacation for a month so probably due to nutrient INCREASE =(.

Damn! Sorry to hear. Just hope she is not hurt. 

5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Some pics from diving in Thailand.  Happy new year everyone!

25526541078_08edfa9d61_z.jpg

24531103987_2652118f46_z.jpg

38688681924_345a2df788_z.jpg

25526535418_2e1a700d2a_z.jpg

27619442559_0514130a92_z.jpg

Wow, cool! Where in Thailand did you end up doing the divingtrip(s) (Sorry, I didn’t follow your trip closely on IG if this had already been shared then.) my sister and I still hope to eventually go back to Thailand and do one of those crash-course dive trips. 

5 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Wow, cool! Where in Thailand did you end up doing the divingtrip(s) (Sorry, I didn’t follow your trip closely on IG if this had already been shared then.) my sister and I still hope to eventually go back to Thailand and do one of those crash-course dive trips. 

I did mine on a remote island called Koh Kood.  I did the discovery course, no training or certification required.  No classes.  I dont even know how to swim.  I just went.  hahahah

• Like 1
23 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Wtf... hope she's ok. 

23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I hope she's ok, too! What an awful thing to have happen, and so scary. 

Thanks!  The police finally caught two guys driving our car, high as a kite.  The whole car smells like really bad weed.  They also crashed the car into a garage during their attempt to flee the police.  The back of the car is also wrecked from who knows what / when.  They won't tell the police where my wife's purse / wallet / phone is or where any of our valuables in the car are.  Sigh.  Just waiting to get this fiasco behind us and onward to 2018!

• Like 2
  • Wow 3
5 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Thanks!  The police finally caught two guys driving our car, high as a kite.  The whole car smells like really bad weed.  They also crashed the car into a garage during their attempt to flee the police.  The back of the car is also wrecked from who knows what / when.  They won't tell the police where my wife's purse / wallet / phone is or where any of our valuables in the car are.  Sigh.  Just waiting to get this fiasco behind us and onward to 2018!

That's super messed up dude! And then bad weed on top of it all,for shame. However, the dive pics are awesome!! Hope the New Year sorts this mess quick fast and in a hurry for yall!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

We had something happen to us two years ago. My wifes car was stolen at work by two wanting a joy ride. They found the car two weeks later in a tiny town two hours away. Minimal damage but smelled like booze, B.O and rotten food. It sucks but glad you at least have the car. Insurance was a PIA. 

Now get this tank back in order! ;P

• Like 1

Sorry to hear what happened. Hope she is not too shaken up. Where is that island near to? Koh Koon? I am quiet familiar with most of Thailand but never heard of Koh Koon. Can you tell me where did you get to this island from? Where in the mainland is what I mean. looking to go back in summer and will probably do some diving trips too. I am originally from Penang Malaysia and only a 4 hour drive to Thailand for me. There is also great diving and snorkeling in Malaysia.

• Like 2
On 1/1/2018 at 8:28 AM, DaveFason said:

We had something happen to us two years ago. My wifes car was stolen at work by two wanting a joy ride. They found the car two weeks later in a tiny town two hours away. Minimal damage but smelled like booze, B.O and rotten food. It sucks but glad you at least have the car. Insurance was a PIA. 

Now get this tank back in order! ;P

tank is slowly turning around!  it takes 3 days now for dino to cover the sandbed vs 1-2 days before.  hahah

37 minutes ago, flobees said:

Sorry to hear what happened. Hope she is not too shaken up. Where is that island near to? Koh Koon? I am quiet familiar with most of Thailand but never heard of Koh Koon. Can you tell me where did you get to this island from? Where in the mainland is what I mean. looking to go back in summer and will probably do some diving trips too. I am originally from Penang Malaysia and only a 4 hour drive to Thailand for me. There is also great diving and snorkeling in Malaysia.

It's Koh Kood, also known as Koh Kut.  It is part of the chain of islands southeast of Bangkok in Trat province.  Koh Chang, Koh Mak, then it's Koh Kood.  To get there from bangkok, you have to take a 5 hours bus ride to Trat and then take ferry for 2.5 hours.  The island has some of the best beaches on that side of Thailand with 3 really nice waterfalls.  I will upload more pics tonight from Koh Kood.  The island is undeveloped, no 7-11 or western stores.  Motorbike is the only way to get around since there's no other public transportation island.  I highly recommend it if you are looking for a secluded island feel.  

38 minutes ago, Justind823 said:

Crazy about the car jacking, glad she's okay. 

Great diving pics, what camera did you end up using?

Happy New Year!

I used an Olympus TG-4 but the camera broke when we were surfacing during the first dive.  I thought the memory card was also a goner since saltwater got into all the compartments.  I was pretty disappointed.  Bought the camera specifically for this trip.  The image quality is pretty good although I have to post process a lot of the blues out.  

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

I used an Olympus TG-4 but the camera broke when we were surfacing during the first dive.  I thought the memory card was also a goner since saltwater got into all the compartments.  I was pretty disappointed.  Bought the camera specifically for this trip.  The image quality is pretty good although I have to post process a lot of the blues out.  

Oh that's a bummer to hear about the camera failing on you, at least you didn't lose the photos!  I remember you asking about my dive pics from awhile ago so that's why I asked. How deep did you go? We were only 30' at the most for the pics I took with the TG-4 and I've never had it much deeper than that. I've only had the GoPro on me when we've gone to ~100'.

• Like 1

Is there any place to stay at the island or it’s just a day trip ? I was in Galapagos last October and I used a GoPro and it was an amazing little camera took really good pictures and I just strap it to my hand all the time I was in the water. 

On 12/27/2017 at 6:16 PM, ninjamyst said:

Glad she's ok.

Sorry to hear, what a nightmare. 

• Like 1
On 1/2/2018 at 2:49 PM, Justind823 said:

Oh that's a bummer to hear about the camera failing on you, at least you didn't lose the photos!  I remember you asking about my dive pics from awhile ago so that's why I asked. How deep did you go? We were only 30' at the most for the pics I took with the TG-4 and I've never had it much deeper than that. I've only had the GoPro on me when we've gone to ~100'.

We went down deepest to 40 feet but mostly 30 feet.  Great experience but not sure if I will do it again.  My ears hurt SOOO much as I kept going up and down.

13 hours ago, flobees said:

Is there any place to stay at the island or it’s just a day trip ? I was in Galapagos last October and I used a GoPro and it was an amazing little camera took really good pictures and I just strap it to my hand all the time I was in the water. 

Yup, plenty of resorts and guesthouses on the island.  I stayed at a guesthouse for 4 nights.  

Very nice!!

For a cyclist like me , Chiang Mai  Doi Inthanon is a bucket list item for sure . One of the steepest out there, along with the European climbs that are more popular.

Again, very nice pictures !

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Some more pics from my trip and the island

Koh Kood Island

24617984327_a2ed82bf0a_z.jpg

25614791428_12b891efe5_z.jpg

24617976667_f8bb0d72f7_z.jpg

39484535691_ec9d803863_z.jpg

Chiang Mai

25614762918_e40a589eeb_z.jpg

39454206482_a29fa5a1be_z.jpg

25614747898_4015d91732_z.jpg

Krabi

39454186442_5a56e10049_z.jpg

39454179392_29037c58ac_z.jpg

Koh Lanta

27708117739_ed15032870_z.jpg

27708111299_a2367af260_z.jpg

So beautiful!

Glad your wife is ok, what a terrifying experience it must've been!

• Like 1
Indiana Reefin

Really wonderful tank build! I read the entire thread last night! I love your pictures of your dogs and your trips along with your reef. You have a very good life! 

Hang in there with the Dino’s. You can get through it. You may want to look into hydrogen peroxide dosing. 

I am going to look into an arid algae reactor. I like to take a natural approach to nutrient export 

• Like 1