Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

A Little Blue

Some novice might want it but they (including myself) have enough issues to deal with already. It would be immoral as well. Sorry to see you in pain over this issue. I can only imagine what you’re going thru. Hopefully, you and your tank will recover (one way or the other) soon. 

• Like 1

Dang, this really sucks :(

Clearly things are hitting the breaking point where you don't have much to lose with more extreme treatments. Like you said, you really can't share corals with other reefers, but maybe a local reefer would be willing to host some in a quarantine tank? Or you could make your own with a rubbermaid tub, and then go scorched earth on what's left in the tank. 

But even then the dinos might come back when you transfer the frags back into the tank. I guess I don't have any good answers either :tears:

• Like 1

Bleach is becoming a popular treatment on some forums. although idk if i could ever do that to my tank. Sad to see you ended up with dinos like i did. I got rid of mine for over a year and a half by doing a 100% waterchange and removing the sand bed (moved from apartment to house ) Never saw any after that.

Now however my nano has it. not bad but still there. onlly saw it after using red sea nopox again. so Ill not be using that or any carbon dosin gin the future.

• Like 1
Elizabeth94

Just recently came back to the forum and remember your tank. Still had my notifications on for this thread! 

Sorry to hear about the issues.. I got dinos in my first reef a few years ago. I used a canister filter to suck out the junk every day (while recyling the used water back to the display). 

After a couple of weeks the tank looked pretty darn good with minimal dinos. I stopped manually removing it and it came back.  didnt have it in me to keep going so I tore it down. (Also had issues with what I believe was bryopsis. Tried the peroxide which seemed to work until I stopped trying so hard). 

The canister filter did work great for manual removal though..

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the advice and support.  My plan now is lots of water change and manual removal.  It's hard to siphon the dino out since they stick to the sand.  The GHA I hope will just eventually go away on its own.  As for fish, I have two clowns, yellow wrasse, sixline wrasse, flame angel, and one firefish left.  I am pretty sure the firefish will die soon as it is very skinny with a caved in stomach.  I suspect internal parasite but really don't want to dose any more chemical in the tank and it's impossible to catch him.  I really miss my midas blenny that died a month ago with the same symptoms, super skinny with caved in stomach.  It was eating tons still.  Once the tank settles down, I will dose prazipro or something.

• Like 2

Have you tried dosing phytoplankton? I just got over a dino outbreak and I think that the phytoplankton really helped out. I also stopped water changes and limited feeding.

• Like 1
tanacharison
11 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Thanks everyone for all the advice and support.  My plan now is lots of water change and manual removal.  It's hard to siphon the dino out since they stick to the sand.  The GHA I hope will just eventually go away on its own.  As for fish, I have two clowns, yellow wrasse, sixline wrasse, flame angel, and one firefish left.  I am pretty sure the firefish will die soon as it is very skinny with a caved in stomach.  I suspect internal parasite but really don't want to dose any more chemical in the tank and it's impossible to catch him.  I really miss my midas blenny that died a month ago with the same symptoms, super skinny with caved in stomach.  It was eating tons still.  Once the tank settles down, I will dose prazipro or something.

You got this!! We are watching and cheering you on. :grouphug:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Muffin said:

Have you tried dosing phytoplankton? I just got over a dino outbreak and I think that the phytoplankton really helped out. I also stopped water changes and limited feeding.

yea, I am adding a bit of that weekly as I think the Dino X strip out all the good stuff in the water.

Do you know if it's live phytoplankton? If its dead it wont do anything. Also If you are able to or have the ability, I would recommend trying to look at the dinos under a microscope to get a better ID of them. DinoX isn't effective against all dinoflagellates. 

• 1 month later...

Some updates:

• Coral colors has rebound tremendously in the past month.
  • Started vibrant 2 weeks ago.  Day after first dose, cyano outbreak.  But dino not coming back as fast.  Hair algae is growing out of control.  Spending 3-4 hours weekly scrubbing hair algae off rock and corals.
  • New fish keeps dying in this tank.  They look healthy and slowly start to get weaker and weaker despite eating a lot.  I suspect internal parasites.  Clownfish are the only remaining fish from 2 years ago.  Right now, I have 2 fire fish, 2 clownfish, 1 yellow coris, 1 sixline.  Flame angel just died a week ago after 1 month of being healthy.
  • Bought a blue dotted sea hare to eat hair algae last week.  Hasn't done much but I see it moving around.  It's....ugly =P.
  • With most of acros dead, plan is to focus more on LPS and softies.  I am spending a lot of time scrubbing the tank and keeps bumping into remaining coral colonies.  Already knocked the green highlighter off so I repositioned it.  Also broke off a big chunk of green monticap.

42547959641_bc0f15a6bc_z.jpg

28674221918_608a0b4acf_z.jpg

• Like 3
mitten_reef
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Some updates:

• Coral colors has rebound tremendously in the past month.
  • Started vibrant 2 weeks ago.  Day after first dose, cyano outbreak.  But dino not coming back as fast.  Hair algae is growing out of control.  Spending 3-4 hours weekly scrubbing hair algae off rock and corals.
  • New fish keeps dying in this tank.  They look healthy and slowly start to get weaker and weaker despite eating a lot.  I suspect internal parasites.  Clownfish are the only remaining fish from 2 years ago.  Right now, I have 2 fire fish, 2 clownfish, 1 yellow coris, 1 sixline.  Flame angel just died a week ago after 1 month of being healthy.
  • Bought a blue dotted sea hare to eat hair algae last week.  Hasn't done much but I see it moving around.  It's....ugly =P.
  • With most of acros dead, plan is to focus more on LPS and softies.  I am spending a lot of time scrubbing the tank and keeps bumping into remaining coral colonies.  Already knocked the green highlighter off so I repositioned it.  Also broke off a big chunk of green monticap.

42547959641_bc0f15a6bc_z.jpg

28674221918_608a0b4acf_z.jpg

Glad to see that things are improving 👍

• Like 1

Persistence FTW

I am dosing vibrant in my tank right now, twice a week, 4 doses in, and no sign of cyano and the GHA is melting.  As things improve I will slow down on dosing to once per week then once per two weeks for maintenance. Dosing 1mL per 10 gallons.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveFason said:

Do yourself a favor and do a heavy dose of Flouco. It will wear that hair algae out too. 

I am hesistant to dose both Flouco and Vibrant.  I tried Flouco before on this tank but it only pissed off my BTA and didn't help with the GHA.  But now that my BTA is gone, I could dose it again.  If Vibrant doesn't work out, Flouco is my next step.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Persistence FTW

I am dosing vibrant in my tank right now, twice a week, 4 doses in, and no sign of cyano and the GHA is melting.  As things improve I will slow down on dosing to once per week then once per two weeks for maintenance. Dosing 1mL per 10 gallons.

Can you dose Vibrant twice a week?  I thought it was once a week for a dirty tank.  I bought the big bottle, not realizing that I only need to dose 1ml per gallons.  The big bottle will last me a looooong time.  And I assume it's 1ml per 10 gallons actual water volume right?  I have 90 gallons total water volume but probably 70 actual water volume after rocks.

• Like 1

Well, my display tank is about 70 with a 20 gallon sump, I dose 10 ml, a little over the recommended.

It dosn't say it on the bottle, but on the R2R thread, the creator/owner of vibrant says in extreme cases, twice a week is OK.  Nothing in the tank is POed.  Actually, the coral are doing better not being covered in GHA.

• Like 2

It's good to hear you're getting good results! It's interesting to see Vibrant works in some cases but not others. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

It's good to hear you're getting good results! It's interesting to see Vibrant works in some cases but not others. 

Im convinced it makes people take care of their tank more. More maintenance, pulling algae out and a little bit of whatever is in the bottle. 

• Like 1
mitten_reef
19 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Im convinced it makes people take care of their tank more. More maintenance, pulling algae out and a little bit of whatever is in the bottle. 

the placebo effect....?  😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nah, I havn't changed a thing, not even a water change and the GHA is melting 😄

It contains vinegar so maybe it's reducing nitrates and phosphates? I havn't bothered to test either 😄

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DaveFason said:

That's what I been doing and it has helped some.  I am hoping vibrant will push things over the edge.  It better works cuz I spent $40 on the big bottle!

• Like 1