Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ninja's Red Sea Reefer 350 - still here!

ninjamyst

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Haven't been that active lately because going through full blown mid life crisis.  3 months ago, I quit my job of 12 years to have a change of pace.  Took a 50% pay cut.  2 days ago, quit my new job even though the job itself is good but something is missing.  Going to take a couple of months off and do some traveling and soul searching.  Typical millenial syndrome =P. 

Anyone done solo traveling before?  Any recommendations for cheap places to go?  I will be doing a solo drive from San Francisco to LA on highway 1 in a couple of weeks.  Looking for some international travel for November.  

Also considering selling my nano tank to raise some money since who knows how long I will be unemployed.  But if I sell it now for cheap only to buy another one a year later, it kind of defeats the point? 

#adultingishard

still no package =(

12 years at one job is a pretty amazing stint. I haven't spent more than 5 years at any job. I spent 5 years at my first job out of college, then decided the career path wasn't for me, took a couple years off to do grad school in a completely different field.  So I can see why you feel like a change of pace. 

I just had a 3.5 hours conversation with my boss/company owner last Friday about my career path and growth - after just 3 years of being there. I wish you the best of luck in the traveling adventure.  

As far as destination, Southeast Asia gets my vote.  I'm originally from Thailand, but I haven't been back to visit in 7-8 years, so I'm a little biased toward the region.  As far as I know, everything is still quite affordable in the region for a solo traveler. You could also hop over to Australia/New Zealand fairly easily.  

Not to jump the gun here, if you're really considering selling your tank/livestock, I'm calling dibs on the Rics garden.  I'd really love at least one of each color variants, only because I don't think I can afford the whole thing.  I would also be very happy to "babysit" them all for you. ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Haven't been that active lately because going through full blown mid life crisis.  3 months ago, I quit my job of 12 years to have a change of pace.  Took a 50% pay cut.  2 days ago, quit my new job even though the job itself is good but something is missing.  Going to take a couple of months off and do some traveling and soul searching.  Typical millenial syndrome =P. 

Anyone done solo traveling before?  Any recommendations for cheap places to go?  I will be doing a solo drive from San Francisco to LA on highway 1 in a couple of weeks.  Looking for some international travel for November.  

Also considering selling my nano tank to raise some money since who knows how long I will be unemployed.  But if I sell it now for cheap only to buy another one a year later, it kind of defeats the point? 

#adultingishard

still no package =(

Costa Rica is a wonderful place to visit and fairly reasonable in price too.  Volcanos, cloud forests, beaches, it's got it all!  Food is amazing too. :wub:  Also a fan of Panama, which is right next door.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I hear you. I quit my job with no backup plan 3 weeks ago. They offered me to work from home part time, so I'm doing that as of Monday, cause #newhousescostmoney

I wish you the best!! Good luck on your adventure! 

we are quit buddies!  hahah.  good luck on all the exciting things happening in your life too!  

9 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

12 years at one job is a pretty amazing stint. I haven't spent more than 5 years at any job. I spent 5 years at my first job out of college, then decided the career path wasn't for me, took a couple years off to do grad school in a completely different field.  So I can see why you feel like a change of pace. 

I just had a 3.5 hours conversation with my boss/company owner last Friday about my career path and growth - after just 3 years of being there. I wish you the best of luck in the traveling adventure.  

As far as destination, Southeast Asia gets my vote.  I'm originally from Thailand, but I haven't been back to visit in 7-8 years, so I'm a little biased toward the region.  As far as I know, everything is still quite affordable in the region for a solo traveler. You could also hop over to Australia/New Zealand fairly easily.  

Not to jump the gun here, if you're really considering selling your tank/livestock, I'm calling dibs on the Rics garden.  I'd really love at least one of each color variants, only because I don't think I can afford the whole thing.  I would also be very happy to "babysit" them all for you. ;)

I literally spent all day planning out a trip to southeast asia.  Tentatively, I am going to do Chicago --> Bangkok --> Ko Samet  --> Angkor Wat --> Hong Kong --> Chicago.  Thailand looks very affordable with Airbnb for $35 a night.  

As for the rics, I am planning to sell my nano 13.5g tank, not the big display tank where the rics are =P.

6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Costa Rica is a wonderful place to visit and fairly reasonable in price too.  Volcanos, cloud forests, beaches, it's got it all!  Food is amazing too. :wub:  Also a fan of Panama, which is right next door.

I was actually looking into doing a 1-2 week turtle conservation trip in Costa Rica, but turtle season is over by November =(.

• Like 2
On 10/1/2017 at 10:11 PM, ninjamyst said:

I literally spent all day planning out a trip to southeast asia.  Tentatively, I am going to do Chicago --> Bangkok --> Ko Samet  --> Angkor Wat --> Hong Kong --> Chicago.  Thailand looks very affordable with Airbnb for $35 a night.  

As for the rics, I am planning to sell my nano 13.5g tank, not the big display tank where the rics are =P.

I was actually looking into doing a 1-2 week turtle conservation trip in Costa Rica, but turtle season is over by November =(.

Aw.  Still a fabulous place to visit.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

i have too much corals.....#firstworldproblem.  anyone in chicago looking for cheap corals?  need to fund my trips...

I may be interested if you got any RFA's, gorgs, euphyllias, acans, leathers... softy easy things. But I should wait till I start my new job first. :happy:

• 2 weeks later...

Visited Monterey Bay Aquarium yesterday and loved it.  Not much in terms of corals, but still very cool stuff from mainly the Pacific coast.  I definitely felt inspired and motivated afterwards to get back into reefing.  Had a couple of fish death recently along with red slime covering the sand bed.  Can't wait to go back after vacation to clean things up.  Here are some pics of the aquarium:

24079657778_d9bfac9e01_z.jpg

37899822622_9bdbb59105_z.jpg

37899845852_b966258940_z.jpg

37930828211_e2354a8724_z.jpg

37899827922_fa6225ec63_z.jpg

37899834402_f8704ed590_z.jpg

37899841342_b5f42d732c_z.jpg

37221459964_139fbc30a4_z.jpg

Since I will be doing a bit of traveling the next couple of months, I will start posting travel and reef photos to instagram too.  My link if anyone wants to check it out =P.  https://www.instagram.com/jacky.h.c/

• Like 7
On 10/14/2017 at 5:09 PM, ninjamyst said:

i have too much corals.....#firstworldproblem.  anyone in chicago looking for cheap corals?  need to fund my trips...

Would like to contribute to you trip fund.  Anything you might consider shipping priority to Michigan?  ;)  Don't think I can do overnight, based on the budget I have in mind.  

19 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

Would like to contribute to you trip fund.  Anything you might consider shipping priority to Michigan?  ;)  Don't think I can do overnight, based on the budget I have in mind.  

Sorry but don't think I can ship in this weather =(.  Heard it's very cold in Chicago now.

18 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Who's taking care of your aquarium at home? Also, you in town this weekend or next Tuesday/Thursday?

My wife is on tank sitting duty right now.  I will be back in town next Thursday!  Are you coming for the aquatic show next weekend?  Going to be lots of nice stuff for sale there.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Sorry but don't think I can ship in this weather =(.  Heard it's very cold in Chicago now.

No worries, I hear ya, it got down to 32 last night here in GR, probably in the same boat in Chicago.   

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

My wife is on tank sitting duty right now.  I will be back in town next Thursday!  Are you coming for the aquatic show next weekend?  Going to be lots of nice stuff for sale there.

I'll be going to Aquatic Experience!! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'll be going to Aquatic Experience!! 

What are you planning to get???  I dont think I will be going this year since I have too much corals already.  The only thing I want is fish and they do have really cheap fish but risky health...

• Like 1
On 10/25/2017 at 12:36 PM, ninjamyst said:

Visited Monterey Bay Aquarium yesterday and loved it.  Not much in terms of corals, but still very cool stuff from mainly the Pacific coast.  I definitely felt inspired and motivated afterwards to get back into reefing.  Had a couple of fish death recently along with red slime covering the sand bed.  Can't wait to go back after vacation to clean things up.  Here are some pics of the aquarium:

24079657778_d9bfac9e01_z.jpg

37899822622_9bdbb59105_z.jpg

37899845852_b966258940_z.jpg

37930828211_e2354a8724_z.jpg

37899827922_fa6225ec63_z.jpg

37899834402_f8704ed590_z.jpg

37899841342_b5f42d732c_z.jpg

37221459964_139fbc30a4_z.jpg

Since I will be doing a bit of traveling the next couple of months, I will start posting travel and reef photos to instagram too.  My link if anyone wants to check it out =P.  https://www.instagram.com/jacky.h.c/

absolutely my favorite place on earth. omg. I'm 2.5 hours away and my friend has a cabin in big sur so I stop by almost overtime. My fav is the otters.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

absolutely my favorite place on earth. omg. I'm 2.5 hours away and my friend has a cabin in big sur so I stop by almost overtime. My fav is the otters.

We are heading to Big Sur tomorrow =).  The otters were awesome!  The jellys are my favorite. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

We are heading to Big Sur tomorrow =).  The otters were awesome!  The jellys are my favorite. 

Yup my friends cabin is right under the Bixby bridge lol. I basically grew  up on that big rock at the beach shoreline. Lol. Many many cold night spent on that beach. We have seen dolphins and otter and whales from that little cove area. It's amazing. Dude last time is as there someone humped off the bridge and right befire he landed he let out his parachute!!?. Dude thought he just decided that day. It was nuts.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, brad908 said:

Saw you mentioned starting in SF, did you go to California Academy of Sciences? 

Dude have you seen the shallow area with the clams and nems?

On 10/26/2017 at 10:04 AM, ninjamyst said:

I am not :(. I'm only in the Area for residency interviews.

1 hour ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Dude have you seen the shallow area with the clams and nems?

Love going there. All my mangrove inspiration came from there and Giga (user on here).

10 hours ago, Nickbruh510 said:

Yup my friends cabin is right under the Bixby bridge lol. I basically grew  up on that big rock at the beach shoreline. Lol. Many many cold night spent on that beach. We have seen dolphins and otter and whales from that little cove area. It's amazing. Dude last time is as there someone humped off the bridge and right befire he landed he let out his parachute!!?. Dude thought he just decided that day. It was nuts.

so jealous that you grew up there.  i love the water but stuck in the midwest.  any hidden spots i should check out tomorrow?  we are only doing a day trip from SF so will probably grab lunch at nepenthe and then do some hiking at Pfeiffer State Park.

9 hours ago, brad908 said:

Saw you mentioned starting in SF, did you go to California Academy of Sciences? 

I went to the academy 2 years ago and loved it.  They had sea dragons which were super cool.  And the main tank had soooo many sea urchins and nems.  

9 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

I am not :(. I'm only in the Area for residency interviews.

oooo so you thinking about doing residency in Chicago?  Which hospital?

• Like 1