Coral Vue Hydros

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

To anyone looking to run a canister filter, I suggest running a Fluval G series canister filter. Takes a couple seconds to replace cartridges and will be less pain than an Eheim classic or the like( I had an Eheim and it was awesome but cleaning it was a chore).

Cartridges are expensive but if canisters are what you're after , it is the best option in my opinion . Good luck.

To the OP, your tank looks awesome. I could see why people suggest it for the TOTM. It really deserves it. Good job!

I dont see this being TOTM soon. If it was up to the tank then yes it would make it in a heart beat. The people who decide TOTM say that the tank has to be extablished for a while before they consider it.

• Like 2
Mikeymikemike

Yes it is a surface skimmer on the intake pipe of the glass lily pipes.

Awesome update pics Mike. Easily my favorite 60F.

I was curious, do you have a surface skimmer setup or your lily pipe intake? The teeth showing look like the ones on a MAME overflow.

New update

I added a blue/purple poci and a red goni that is acclimating to to my tank.

Zoas are growing out and they have started to grow onto the sandbed and surrounding rocks... Slowwwwwwwly...

Night shot with only the orange filter

12362808_10154367016240110_1741308194261

Day shot

12362795_10154367016555110_7844966821605

I'm completely blown away by your torches, especially 24k. Need to get one omgomgomg

charnelhouse

This tank won't be eligible for TOTM, on this site at least, until December. TOTM tanks have to be up and running for a year before they can be considered.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, you yourself acknowledge the fact that your tank is unconventional due to the fact that you just added livestock right off the bat. From my reading, you need to wait for the tank to fully mature to introduce anemone's. Would you mind sharing how you made this possible? What steps did you take? Was the tank cycled with other media? Really would love to know. I have a tank in the works and the tank you are displaying here is basically the tank I had in my head to make. Only difference is a white frosted background. I also come from the planted tank side and I use them in all my aquascapes.