Pod Your Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Mikeymikemike

Nice dude this skimmer is awesome and its design is elegant, grats on the skimmer. Id recommend replacing air adjuster though that this is jun

Thanks!

I took your advice in your review and used my co2 needle valve adjuster.

T2b6e.XdJbXXXXXXXX_!!872922514.jpg

Quick question, since I use KZ coral snow, it tends to build up a fine layer in the neck of the skimmer at the top. Should I clean this neck for more efficiency or will it not make a difference? How often do you clean your skimmer as well?

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Can yo review your filter that you are running and the filter media that you are using. It's a beautiful looking system. Thanks

My filter set-up is nothing special

A canister filter with phosguard and carbon. I use a fine wool pad to polish the water and clean the filter bi-weekly. It takes less than 10 minutes to clean the filter due to the deisgn.

Weekly testing shows my water parameters are

Nitrate around 2ppm (Salifert)

Phosphate 0.018ppm (Hanna)

Thanks!

I took your advice in your review and used my co2 needle valve adjuster.

T2b6e.XdJbXXXXXXXX_!!872922514.jpg

Quick question, since I use KZ coral snow, it tends to build up a fine layer in the neck of the skimmer at the top. Should I clean this neck for more efficiency or will it not make a difference? How often do you clean your skimmer as well?

The only thing that matters is if the hole gets clogged, so just pull the hose off when its getting a little dirty. Then stick a pipe cleaner in it; you dont even have to take the skimmer out of your water to maintain it!. I clean my skimmer when ever i empty my collection tray, so like 1-2 weeks

Mikeymikemike

Hi again. What did BRN mean about replacing the air adjuster ? Was that on the mame skimmer. I'd like to eventually get one of those myself.

Thanks

he meant the plastic airflow adjuster. I changed mine to a fine adjuster valve

Amazing tank!

I see that this lily pipe is different since it collects the water from the surface. Where did you get it from?

i got it online from hong kong. check ebay

Mikeymikemike

The latest FTS.

I consider this aquarium fully stocked now. All i have to do is swap out a few corals over time if anything comes up and watch my zoas slowly grow out .

I may make upgrades to hardware over time so stay tuned!

12232839_10154327863990110_4804501237076

12309660_10154327864650110_5954437645615

• Like 10

Nice update. Really like the torch garden, Euphyllia look so good when clustered together.

You mentioned that you use Coral Snow, check out this below thread, might save you a few dollars:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364821-diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity/

I was hesitant on trying coral snow due to the cost but was more than happy to give this a try. Works great.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

I was given a 250ml bottle of coral snow from a friend so it will last me another year or two at 0.5ml dose for my tank haha. I will remember this thread when I run out!

• Like 1

I was given a 250ml bottle of coral snow from a friend so it will last me another year or two at 0.5ml dose for my tank haha. I will remember this thread when I run out!

Haha fair enough. Always good to save some money in this hobby, helps with getting some more eye candy ;).

Mikeymikemike

It helps to have friends in the industry and to have suppliers and importers in your contacts. This tank could not have happened with all their support.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

For such a new tank it looks phenomenal already. I love waving flowing LPS and the colors of the zoas are amazing!

Thank you

It is a new tank but this was all made possible with proper husbandry and products. I know my methods are not exactly conventional.

Here are some of the things i did that seem counter-intuitive.

Canister filter

livestock added instantly

low lighting

no skimmer for the first 6 weeks.

I'm also using a line of products that really help with feeding and cleaning the water column. They have been reliable and I have seen some effects of overdosing just to see how far i can stretch things.