Pod Your Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

HarryPotter

FTS under blue and white.

13568795_10154835546560110_6004690656454

It's still a challenge for me to get rid of the "blurple" colour. I'll keep trying but with 3500-6000k whites (yellows) they look a bit funky.

13559167_10154836866455110_3203990718100

How are you making corals appear so neon? Camera settings? Gel filter? :)

Mikeymikemike

How are you making corals appear so neon? Camera settings? Gel filter? :)

For blue shots I use a gel filter.

Under whites I don't use a filter and adjust my white balance. The problem is figuring out white light setting to shoot at. i shoot at deiffernt times and depending on the blue and white % I usually get a different result. I find less blue light helps when trying to get a white photo.

fishguy122

I've only just come across this thread, and I must say I am truly awestruck by your tanks. You have some serious aquascaping talent :)

• Like 2
Mikeymikemike

quick update. After dosing red sea coral colours for the past 3 weeks, I have now started to see the results.

The tips on one of my pink acros is not showing hints of blue (not bad I guess)

Pink is more present in my strawberry shortcake

My red milli was going pastel pink but now has some more deeper colouration

my zoas show a richer colour during white lights.

I will keep dosing at 0.6ml per day as that seems to be the sweet spot.

another green acro I purchsed with a brown base has lost the brown after 1 week. so today i purchased some browned out frags to see if they will do the same...

• Like 2

quick update. After dosing red sea coral colours for the past 3 weeks, I have now started to see the results.

The tips on one of my pink acros is not showing hints of blue (not bad I guess)

Pink is more present in my strawberry shortcake

My red milli was going pastel pink but now has some more deeper colouration

my zoas show a richer colour during white lights.

I will keep dosing at 0.6ml per day as that seems to be the sweet spot.

another green acro I purchsed with a brown base has lost the brown after 1 week. so today i purchased some browned out frags to see if they will do the same...

Are you dosing A, B, C and D? Can you share more detail about how much of each one are you dosing and how? Thanks.

Mikeymikemike

I'm dosing ABCD colours

My water volume is 50L and I am dosing 0.6ml of each daily at night time. I just use a syringe and squirt it in the tank.

Some minor observations include

• Inducing blue tips on my pink/yellow pastel acro at the front.
  • Inducing neon pink coloration on my red milli (it used to be a brownish red with brown polyps, now it is pastel pink and transitioning to neon pink)
  • Pink neon tips on my strawberry shortcake acro (this acro is still brown due to the stress from 2 weeks ago)

other observations show that greens are fading into yellow. I will need to dose more iron if this conitnues. I am hoping a dose of KZ pohls xtra for the next month will have deeper colour.

Do you have to monitor/test some elements in order to dose Colors ABCD safely? Or just dose according to volume on a daily basis and observe? Can elements accommulate to unsafe levels?

Mikeymikemike

i'm dosing in relation to calcium. It says 1ml per 100L per 20ppm of calcium used in the tank. Tests done by redsea show that update of these elements is similar to that of calcium.

At this stage I am just observing and not testing those elements (mainly due to elements tests being unreliable)

In my system there is not a chance for them to build up as I do a 30% water change weekly.

i'm dosing in relation to calcium. It says 1ml per 100L per 20ppm of calcium used in the tank. Tests done by redsea show that update of these elements is similar to that of calcium.

At this stage I am just observing and not testing those elements (mainly due to elements tests being unreliable)

In my system there is not a chance for them to build up as I do a 30% water change weekly.

It makes sense. I suppose that even if you don't do large water changes, any adverse reaction would be gradual and that as far as you only see good reaction, then all must be right.

I'm tempted to try it. I'm already using Red Sea Pro Salt and dosing (very sporadically) Red Sea ABC+. Maybe those products, specially ABC+ already contain most of what is in Red Sea Colors ABCD. I guess I must decide for one or the other.

Red Sea ABC+: Ca, Sr, KH, Mg, K, Br, I

Red Sea Colors ABCD: I2, K, Fe, Br2, F2

Mikeymikemike

Polyps are looking happier tonight two weeks after the air exposure damage. Seems like the strawberry shortcake has made a recovery but needs to lose its brown base/sides. My montipora on the left of my tank is still very annoyed. I may have to let go of it :(

For now, others are looking good :pray:

13612111_10154847797680110_1546259095957

13620830_10154847797450110_6460086920447

13627200_10154847796810110_8996407275941

13615426_10154847796560110_2697882891425

13592727_10154847794830110_2667209486510

Your tank is breathtaking

What is the brand name for the clear overflow and return pipes?

The inlet pipe is not an overflow but just a glass lily pipe with surface skimmer by VIV and is connected to a closed loop. As for the return it is a lily pipe by VIV.

I am making the switch to a MAME overflow right now.

• Like 5
rickztahone

FTS under blue and white.

13568795_10154835546560110_6004690656454

It's still a challenge for me to get rid of the "blurple" colour. I'll keep trying but with 3500-6000k whites (yellows) they look a bit funky.

13559167_10154836866455110_3203990718100

are you using a new photo host website? Been having a hard time getting these to load at work and I have super good internet speed here.

Be patient with the annoyed frag. Sps are more resilient than some give credit to. A couple sps I have thought previously dead emerged strong and are now my favorite corals.

You can learn a lot about watching corals recover.

Is there a reason we haven't nominated this for TOTM yet? If so I can't see it.

It is a manufactured tank. All corals bought already had substantial size to them. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but just stating the truth. The tank does look amazing and for the most part seems like he's been able to keep the corals healthy, but it wasn't grown from tiny frags like most TOTM's. He's also doing stupid shit like throwing 10 clown fish in this tank.

I will give him credit that he has good photography skills with great photoshop/lightroom processing techniques.

Flame away.

• Like 2

It is a manufactured tank. All corals bought already had substantial size to them. Not trying to be a dick or anything, but just stating the truth. The tank does look amazing and for the most part seems like he's been able to keep the corals healthy, but it wasn't grown from tiny frags like most TOTM's. He's also doing stupid shit like throwing 10 clown fish in this tank.

I will give him credit that he has good photography skills with great photoshop/lightroom processing techniques.

Flame away.

For starters he is from Australia where the coral market is completely different than the US. The majority of coral there is sourced locally from mariculture farms. Tiny frags on plugs is not the norm over there. You will only find tiny frags from ones that are imported. He paid the same for one of those colonies for what we pay for a frag. To call it a manufactured tank is just plain stupid and offensive.

Also I doubt you have the skill to do a planted tank that is even a fraction as good as what he can do. I didn't know that the measure of skill around here is to be able to grow a tank from a tiny frag.

• Like 2

Also I doubt you have the skill to do a planted tank that is even a fraction as good as what he can do. I didn't know that the measure of skill around here is to be able to grow a tank from a tiny frag.

1. Not sure why you are so offended and have to try and attack me and if my "skill" level could grow a planted tank like his. I never said anything about his planted tanks or his planted skills.
  2. I am pretty sure the exact measure of your skill in reefing is the ability to take a small frag and grow it into a colony, lol.

Nothing I said about him was offensive or wrong. He buys large corals, is that not true? Did I ever say he didn't have skill? No, I said he seems to be keeping his corals healthy and the tank looks amazing.

• Like 1

1. Not sure why you are so offended and have to try and attack me and if my "skill" level could grow a planted tank like his. I never said anything about his planted tanks or his planted skills.
  2. I am pretty sure the exact measure of your skill in reefing is the ability to take a small frag and grow it into a colony, lol.

Nothing I said about him was offensive or wrong. He buys large corals, is that not true? Did I ever say he didn't have skill? No, I said he seems to be keeping his corals healthy and the tank looks amazing.

To call his tank "manufactured" is offensive no matter how you slice it. If all the shops around you just sold mini colonies, wouldn't you buy them?

• Like 1

To call his tank "manufactured" is offensive no matter how you slice it. If all the shops around you just sold mini colonies, wouldn't you buy them?

Maybe manufactured wasn't the best wording, but people give a lot more respect to tanks that were started from frags than purchased colonies (regardless if this might be his only option).

I'm just simply stating reasons why his tank hasn't been nominated for TOTM when clearly a number of highly regarded form members know about it.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Flame away.

I can understand Brad's perspective, and there no flames from anyone. On a side note the clown fish have long been moved back to a larger display (clown harem tank). I did lose one as a jumper though :( and now I keep 3 clowns and some other fish.

Gus is correct, the corals available in the US come from the the great barrier reef or another source so most hobbyist start with frags. In Australia we have direct access to suppliers and collectors. I also live in the same state that has a mariculture farm and have friends who collect corals, aquaculture and mariculture corals. I would like to buy the frags made available to US residents as they come from Bali and other places with very nice colours, but due to Australia's strict quarantine laws I work with what I have available to me - established colonies (this does not make it any easier to keep them alive or hold their colour).

I may as well settle any inquiries about photography and photos. I'm pretty transparent with what I do to get my images looking the way they do. But we have to remember, I approach this hobby from a different perspective.

For some; reefing is about chemistry, biology, mechanics, and for others it is about problem solving and the challenge. For me, and perhaps for Brad too since his tanks are very beautiful, reefing is also an art. When someone can take a tank, apply all the skills, knowledge and experience they have of those disciplines and then turn it into art, it transcends their own involvement and perspective of the hobby. For me, the purpose and focus of this tank is art.

I can keep corals healthy and growing, I can also kill corals (zoas melting, accidents, etc...) When I set up this tank it was for the purpose of learning and applying my aquascaping art. When I make my tanks and take photos of my tanks they are works of art (hence filters and processing) and these are for my pleasure and it is also my pleasure to share my art. I could take unprocessed photos but I chose to take the pictures that look good to me. I personally think they pale in comparison to experiencing the tank in person.

This hobby is filled with much better reefers and aquascapers with much more experience than I will ever have, I am fortunate to keep learning daily and I am surrounded by some very talented aquarists myself as it helps being close to the industry.

So with all said and done, I welcome all analysis, criticisms or opinions, but I also dedicate myself to my art knowing just how many hours I put into this tank to keep it looking the way it does and because art is subjective, I allow people to make their own interpretation.

For me, this tank makes me happy and that's all that really matters. :)

For what it's worth, I'm also happy to be a part of this forum, so no hard feelings.

• Like 15
rickztahone

I can understand Brad's perspective, and there no flames from anyone. On a side note the clown fish have long been moved back to a larger display (clown harem tank). I did lose one as a jumper though :( and now I keep 3 clowns and some other fish.

Gus is correct, the corals available in the US come from the the great barrier reef or another source so most hobbyist start with frags. In Australia we have direct access to suppliers and collectors. I also live in the same state that has a mariculture farm and have friends who collect corals, aquaculture and mariculture corals. I would like to buy the frags made available to US residents as they come from Bali and other places with very nice colours, but due to Australia's strict quarantine laws I work with what I have available to me - established colonies (this does not make it any easier to keep them alive or hold their colour).

I may as well settle any inquiries about photography and photos. I'm pretty transparent with what I do to get my images looking the way they do. But we have to remember, I approach this hobby from a different perspective.

For some; reefing is about chemistry, biology, mechanics, and for others it is about problem solving and the challenge. For me, and perhaps for Brad too since his tanks are very beautiful, reefing is also an art. When someone can take a tank, apply all the skills, knowledge and experience they have of those disciplines and then turn it into art, it transcends their own involvement and perspective of the hobby. For me, the purpose and focus of this tank is art.

I can keep corals healthy and growing, I can also kill corals (zoas melting, accidents, etc...) When I set up this tank it was for the purpose of learning and applying my aquascaping art. When I make my tanks and take photos of my tanks they are works of art (hence filters and processing) and these are for my pleasure and it is also my pleasure to share my art. I could take unprocessed photos but I chose to take the pictures that look good to me. I personally think they pale in comparison to experiencing the tank in person.

This hobby is filled with much better reefers and aquascapers with much more experience than I will ever have, I am fortunate to keep learning daily and I am surrounded by some very talented aquarists myself as it helps being close to the industry.

So with all said and done, I welcome all analysis, criticisms or opinions, but I also dedicate myself to my art knowing just how many hours I put into this tank to keep it looking the way it does and because art is subjective, I allow people to make their own interpretation.

For me, this tank makes me happy and that's all that really matters. :)

For what it's worth, I'm also happy to be a part of this forum, so no hard feelings.

More power to you. As a photographer myself, I would never knowingly put out a picture of something I would consider art without running it through an editing program. So long as it still represents the subject accurately, and not over worked, I do not see a problem with it.

• Like 2
Mikeymikemike

Sad news today, my montipora polyps that were damaged in the great water spill of 2016 had still not come out of hiding so I had to remove it as the tissue started to die. I think the polyps were too dry and annoyed and did not recover :( , I was told by my friend that Western Australian montipora are temperamental at times but it was going awesome one day and now it's another skeleton thrown into the closet. Total losses from the spill is 2 corals :(

On the other hand, my poci on the right side is healing and I am seeing about 30% tissue/polyp recovery. My strawberry shortcake has healed too and polyps are at full extension again with new growth tips so I'm glad the tips were not too damaged.

fingers crossed, thats about it.

Mikeymikemike

Thank you :)

a short update, I was running purigen for awhile to get ULNS numbers and started to see my corals go pastel in colour and develop some very nice metallic colouration. In the end Ialso noticed my zoas not liking the conditions and closing up and eventually melting so I have allowed the nutrients to come back. One week later and colours are returning and zoas have opened up fully again.

In it's cleanest form I had undetectable phosphorus on my Hanna phosphorus ULR checker and now it is creeping back up to 0.005-0.009ppm. (NSW levels)

I want it to balance out at around 0.015.

As for corals, I've since added some more colonies to fill the gaps.One thing I have found with this aquascape is that if a coral does not fit, I will make it fit.

General flow around my tank still remains high. On the left side of the tank it is low flow but I make sure I blast that area with a turkey baster daily to remove detritus.

In other news I got a friend to help me come up with a sump for the tank. Stay tuned for a preview :)