Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

holy carp

How is your plumbing set up that you're able to keep your water so close to the top of the glass?  It looks like you're within a 1/2 cm from the top?  Don't you get splashing?  Are you losing fish to jumping?  It looks amazing, but I'm perplexed by the logistics of it.

Mikeymikemike

I close the inlet/outlet taps when take a photo so the corals don't move. The water just so happens to be set higher in the picture when I closed them. Normally it runs about 2cm from the top. I usually get jumpy wrassess.

• Like 1

I know youve long since moved on from it, but I'm curious about your experience with the canister filter? 

I just bought a Mr Aqua 12 and I'm looking into filter options without sump. ?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mikeymikemike
On 24/07/2017 at 2:37 AM, rsucre said:

Any news from Mikey?

^My water is close to NSW levels on all measurable parameters. 

-----

So I've been away due to some side projects and the build of my house. There is a lot I have done to make the tank stable but also a lot I have neglected.

There was one stage where I left the water change for too long, up to 3 months and then I stretched it to 6 months. At this stage the dosing container input was not sitting right and did not suck up anything. My corals all lost their colour within a week and I lost two colonies in a day and started getting STN on some others.

In the past month I have tried to get things back on track and right now the tank is colouring up again but I also need to purge some of the zoox. A long way to go but I'll post some pics up eventually. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
31 minutes ago, Mikeymikemike said:

^My water is close to NSW levels on all measurable parameters. 

-----

So I've been away due to some side projects and the build of my house. There is a lot I have done to make the tank stable but also a lot I have neglected.

There was one stage where I left the water change for too long, up to 3 months and then I stretched it to 6 months. At this stage the dosing container input was not sitting right and did not suck up anything. My corals all lost their colour within a week and I lost two colonies in a day and started getting STN on some others.

In the past month I have tried to get things back on track and right now the tank is colouring up again but I also need to purge some of the zoox. A long way to go but I'll post some pics up eventually. 

I know you're an artist at heart... But any pics we can learn from? ? We're all guilty of being human after all... 

Hope all is well with the new casa... Enjoy the day!

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Thanks for stopping in to keep us updated @Mikeymikemike! That's too bad to hear about the dosing troubles and SPS loss, but hopefully it will continue to rebound with your corrections. We're here through the triumphs and the troubles!

Building a new house is exciting, no doubt that's taking up a lot of your time and attention these days. Is it nearing completion?

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Here is an update. Happy to answer any questions people have.

As you can see the strawberry shortcake RTN'd and there are few extra goodies here or there. One of the corals in the middle lost its colour but otherwise things are coming back.

21199740_10156117378040110_7416618366055

On 26/08/2017 at 8:15 AM, Christopher Marks said:

Thanks for stopping in to keep us updated @Mikeymikemike! That's too bad to hear about the dosing troubles and SPS loss, but hopefully it will continue to rebound with your corrections. We're here through the triumphs and the troubles!

Building a new house is exciting, no doubt that's taking up a lot of your time and attention these days. Is it nearing completion?

The house is still with the architect getting drawn and finalised. Im deciding whether or not I want to have a 8ft tank as a room divider or if I should have a 1m cube island display in the kitchen. A lot of planning to go

• Like 5
  • Wow 5
2 hours ago, Mikeymikemike said:

Here is an update. Happy to answer any questions people have.

As you can see the strawberry shortcake RTN'd and there are few extra goodies here or there. One of the corals in the middle lost its colour but otherwise things are coming back.

21199740_10156117378040110_7416618366055

The house is still with the architect getting drawn and finalised. Im deciding whether or not I want to have a 8ft tank as a room divider or if I should have a 1m cube island display in the kitchen. A lot of planning to go

Why not both?  :wizard:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm building g a house at the moment also, had to remove a door way so I have somewhere to put the tank haha. I'm planning an in wall tank for my next house, this is just an I term one which will end up being an investment property. 

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike
On 02/09/2017 at 11:27 AM, pal said:

How do you go about this?

There are two ways to do this. One is using Zeo Spur 2 which is a copper and causes a purging effect. Another way to do this is to use boron which has a gentler effect. But both methods are not advisable and will only work in ULNS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1