Top Shelf Aquatics

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, Mikeymikemike said:

I have 2 empty ADA tanks so I did some aquascaping for Reef Iwagumi 2.0. Should I wet it?

21317834_10156128517615110_4619476382232

Wow that's a killer aquascape, I love the jagged ridge line! What used to be in these ADA tanks?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow that's a killer aquascape, I love the jagged ridge line! What used to be in these ADA tanks?

I believe Mikey is quite a pro at planted tanks also, I'd say these tanks are left over from this.

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer
21 hours ago, Mikeymikemike said:

I have 2 empty ADA tanks so I did some aquascaping for Reef Iwagumi 2.0. Should I wet it?

Do it! But maybe make this one an easy softie/macro tank?

21 hours ago, Mikeymikemike said:

Yes yes yes!

Love the scape. 

Would you ever go back to a canister filter or stick with a sump? 

Mikeymikemike
4 hours ago, xellos88 said:

Do it! But maybe make this one an easy softie/macro tank?

I have access to cairns marine goodies  for this tank so it's going to be sps mainly. I'll transfer my old corals over too. 

4 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Yes yes yes!

Love the scape. 

Would you ever go back to a canister filter or stick with a sump? 

Sump is good. I think a canister filter works very well actually but all the gear hidden in sump is much better 

On 9/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, Mikeymikemike said:

Now this is going to be even better than your Iwagumi 1.0.  This is the type of reefing I've been waiting to see. Awesome

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love your tank.

The old pic's don't work for me but the new ones do. I would love to see your old aquascape if you could repost an old pic or the rock work it would be great.

Great read THANKS

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, Mikeymikemike said:

What's the dimensions on this badboy?

Hi, any update?  

@Mikeymikemike Mikey, I think that you once mentioned something about purging the Zoox from your corals.  Can you elaborate on that?  How do you do it?  Did it work?  Are you referring to Zeovit ZeoSpur2?

I have some old softies that are browned.  Those were my first corals (3+ years) and I had them when I did not have a lot of expertise and had very high nutrients.  I think that it may be worth trying something like ZeoSpur2 to see if I can "fix" the colors on these corals.  I understand that it contains Copper and it sounds risky...  But it may be worth trying, carefully.

• 1 month later...

Hello Miky, first of all I want to present my admiration for your work, not only due to this aquarium, but also to your work with fresh water, simply spectacular, I have a pending visit to the Takashi Amano's Gallery in Japan.

Well, I do not want to deviate, I have read all of your comments and I have been able to enjoy the evolution of your aquarium, although unfortunately many photos are not accessible.

At the beginning of your project you mentioned Marko Haaga and at first your aquarium showed that address, but now you have a Skymmer, my question is to what is this change, is it just for comfort and maintainability? therefore, the sustainability of the Marko Haaga system, where it dispenses with Skymmer and moves away from the usual maintenance of a marine aquarium?

My knowledge about Marine aquarium is very limited or even nil, so I apologize if any of my questions is wrong or silly.

But in the end, in your opinion, that you have maintained and that you have discarded this first idea, in which you use baso (Marko Haaga and Balling system).

And out of curiosity ..... what happened to the Reef Iwagumi 2.0.

Excuse me for my poor English

Gracias

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
41 minutes ago, TJ_Burton said:

Where is Mikey??!!

Hold up…TJ Burton?

This is hairdo from Oakville. If you are who I think you are, what’s up dude lol seeing you everywhere these days!

come back mikey