Cultivated Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

What sort of pests do they eradicate?

Quote from Live Aquaria:

" In the home aquarium, the Six Line Wrasse requires a peaceful environment with a generous supply of hiding places and live rock on which they can forage for food. Here, the Six Line Wrasse will search for live foods in the form of small crustaceans such as pyramidellid snails (clam parasites), urchins, and commensal flatworms. The Six Line Wrasse is also known to feed on unwanted pests on live rock, such as bristleworms."

on a side note, has anyone run rowaphos in a canister filter in a 100micron bag?

No, but I have run it in both a reactor and just passively in a bag in the rear chamber of my AIO. I prefer the passive/bag method over the reactor, at least for the AIO. I could never really get it to tumble or stay in suspension the way it is supposed to in the reactor. Anyways, I think you should be just find running it passively in the bag in the canister. Are you having issues with phosphates creeping up?

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

my phosphates are actually pretty low at around 0.015, but i would like to test alternatives to phosguard. If rowaphos is more effective then I will go with that or use both.

Did you ever have trouble with the dust from rowaphos sticking to the glass?

my phosphates are actually pretty low at around 0.015, but i would like to test alternatives to phosguard. If rowaphos is more effective then I will go with that or use both.

Did you ever have trouble with the dust from rowaphos sticking to the glass?

I would always rinse mine really well in RODI before putting it in the tank, so not that I ever noticed. I have never used phosguard, so I can't really compare the two.

Mikeymikemike

In going to get my first Goniopora. Any tips on care in nano tanks. At this stage I'm not feeding anything solid to the corals. Only liquid foods

In going to get my first Goniopora. Any tips on care in nano tanks. At this stage I'm not feeding anything solid to the corals. Only liquid foods

What kind is it...some are hardier than others. Is it aquacultured?

Thank you

It is a new tank but this was all made possible with proper husbandry and products. I know my methods are not exactly conventional.

Here are some of the things i did that seem counter-intuitive.

Canister filter

livestock added instantly

low lighting

no skimmer for the first 6 weeks.

I'm also using a line of products that really help with feeding and cleaning the water column. They have been reliable and I have seen some effects of overdosing just to see how far i can stretch things.

Tank looks great. I wouldn't say those are unconventional ways though! Several people run no skimmers, canister filters and add fish early.

Awesome tank Mikey, its stunning how you have incorporated some of the visual influence from your planted tank. Quick question, how do you like your glass surface skimmer thats attached to the lily pipes? Does it make any noise? I'm thinking of adding a canister setup very similar to yours to run carbon and get rid of some of my surface film.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Get the VIV or generic brands. Make sure they have a slimmer intake. As for canister filter, but one that is easy to stop and open and close. It will make your life much better

Mikeymikemike

I use the larger sicce eko 130, but the smaller one will work well for your purposes and look more compact. the half inch tubing should fit just fine :)

What do you plan to put into the filter?

Mikeymikemike

I use the hydor inline heater so it de-clutters my tank.

I prefer to use phosguard over gfo because it does not break down as easily. You can use gfo with a very fine micron media bag.

I suggest using purigen or macropore to remove nitrates too as a supplement to carbon. At this stage my nitrates are at 0.1 so it may strip my system, but if I reduce water changes, it may balance out

Mikeymikemike

New update

I added a blue/purple poci and a red goni that is acclimating to to my tank.

Zoas are growing out and they have started to grow onto the sandbed and surrounding rocks... Slowwwwwwwly...

Night shot with only the orange filter

12362808_10154367016240110_1741308194261

Day shot

12362795_10154367016555110_7844966821605

• Like 10

New update

I added a blue/purple poci and a red goni that is acclimating to to my tank.

Zoas are growing out and they have started to grow onto the sandbed and surrounding rocks... Slowwwwwwwly...

Night shot with only the orange filter

12362808_10154367016240110_1741308194261

Day shot

12362795_10154367016555110_7844966821605

You sir should be nominated for TOTM.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Thank you everyone

this tank has been a joy to keep and despite some issues with dosing, things are going better than I hoped.

Recently I returned four of my larger clowns back to a display tank at my LFS. They should be very happy there.

I have a pink poci incoming soon. ( I thought I would stop but I keep getting corals given to me)

I think it is important to note that these corals and fish have come from either aqua cultured sources or Australian collectors with sustainable collecting practices. Some of the new corals I'm getting are actually coming from a mariculture coral farm!

This is all very exciting as I am seeing the hobbyist, collectors, farms and distributors supporting each other and making this hobby accessible for new reefers like me.

• Like 1

Awesome update pics Mike. Easily my favorite 60F.

I was curious, do you have a surface skimmer setup or your lily pipe intake? The teeth showing look like the ones on a MAME overflow.