SaltCritters.com

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Vwcrackerjack

,I dose B ionic cal allk and mag. I only feed my fish once a day flake and pellets. I have been feeding the anemones once a week misis shrimp one cube each and I use Reef chili and Prodibio. I have an oversized skimmer and a good sized refugium which grows nicely I only do water changes every 3 weeks though. When they do the maintenance on tank. My old tank had zero water changes and it thrived. However I had a fuge that was larger than the tank by 50% and only 1 fish. I also have a gfo/carbon reactor

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coral crammer :lol: 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.................

I know - I thought I was bad :lol:

Ummmmmm - have you two seen your tanks?!?!? Pots!

Ummmmmm - have you two seen your tanks?!?!? Pots!

I can still see the back glass in mine and some sand bed........looks like your sand bed has no vacancy ;)

Vwcrackerjack

I have quite a few fast-growing corals - I also feed a ton. GSP does better in a dirty tank.what are your parameters?

I did testing this morning. Here's what I have now.

Alk 11-12

Ph 8.2-8.4

Nitrates 0

Cal. 500

Mag. 1800-2000

Phosphate. 0.02 ppm

I dialed down the doser to make cal and alk drop. I will also stop adding mag for a while until its back on target. I think it could be reading higher because I just had a big water change done and the doser was still running. I only have one coral who has a skeleton which is my bubble coral and it's been staying closed up for the most part. Only small bubbles. ☹️

I did testing this morning. Here's what I have now.

Alk 11-12

Ph 8.2-8.4

Nitrates 0

Cal. 500

Mag. 1800-2000

Phosphate. 0.02 ppm

I dialed down the doser to make cal and alk drop. I will also stop adding mag for a while until its back on target. I think it could be reading higher because I just had a big water change done and the doser was still running. I only have one coral who has a skeleton which is my bubble coral and it's been staying closed up for the most part. Only small bubbles. ☹️

Do you target feed your lps at all? With zero nitrates, it might be that your nutrients are too low.

That is so awesome that your bubble algae is gone omgomgomg. And the tank looks amazing too. Those are some giant blastos under the turquoise trumpets!

Thanks Gena!! I was so surprised how fast the crabs ate it all!

And those blastos are definitely huge. The polyps on a few are about 2" across! My turquoise trumpets from you look so small in that photo but they've been growing well!

A few photos for Sunday:

Puffy fox coral:

https://instagram.com/p/BLouKfRjtLo/

The blasto corner:

https://instagram.com/p/BLouYpoDvQz/

My little goby:

https://instagram.com/p/BLoukgIj5OF/

I've been doing some painting lately. Did this one today! I figured it would be fun to show the progression. It's 6"x8" oil on panel

I've been doing some painting lately. Did this one today! I figured it would be fun to show the progression. It's 6"x8" oil on panel

That looks familiar................... ;) looks good! Your artistic side has been busy lately......

Do you target feed your lps at all? With zero nitrates, it might be that your nutrients are too low.

Thanks Gena!! I was so surprised how fast the crabs ate it all!

And those blastos are definitely huge. The polyps on a few are about 2" across! My turquoise trumpets from you look so small in that photo but they've been growing well!

That's awesome! Don't think I've ever seen them that big!

Love your tank and live your paintings!

Thanks Jackie :)

That's awesome! Don't think I've ever seen them that big!

I just bought some more blastos from a local reefer. I can't wait to get them and see if I can get them to puff out like these! I seem to have much better luck with blastos than acans. Even in lower light my acans seem to somewhat lose their awesome colors. So frustrating!

That looks familiar................... ;) looks good! Your artistic side has been busy lately......

It feels good to be back at the easel. I was asked to do a demo of painting clouds for an art guild on Cape Cod. It was fun but kind of stressful as there were probably about 100 people that attended. And t was really hot in the room. -and I had to be up on a stage. -and I was videotaped. Good experience for sure and I ended up booking some workshops for the winter. Then I had a few gallieries reach out asking for stuff for up coming shows.

I have three more commissions to do: one for twitch, 4 for braaap and one for a local here. After that, I've decided I'm taking a break from commission work as I want to focus on painting what I want to paint. It lends to more creativity. And hopefully will stop another massive creative block like the one I'm coming off of now. I think with work and everything else, having commissions pile up did me in. All of a sudden I was no longer enjoying painting at all and everything I painted I thought looked like crap.

A few photos for day 348 :)

One of the rock flowers in the 66:

And a baby!

Stereonepthia

Yum, the pencil urchin!

Some polyps:

Some pipe organ

Thanks Jack! And nope, I killed them :blush:

Well, that sucks.

My new blastos are dying off one by one. The green rimmed ones are shrinking up, one of the new orange ones died a few days ago, one orange is fine. All the others look great.....stupid coral.

It feels good to be back at the easel. I was asked to do a demo of painting clouds for an art guild on Cape Cod. It was fun but kind of stressful as there were probably about 100 people that attended. And t was really hot in the room. -and I had to be up on a stage. -and I was videotaped. Good experience for sure and I ended up booking some workshops for the winter. Then I had a few gallieries reach out asking for stuff for up coming shows.

I have three more commissions to do: one for twitch, 4 for braaap and one for a local here. After that, I've decided I'm taking a break from commission work as I want to focus on painting what I want to paint. It lends to more creativity. And hopefully will stop another massive creative block like the one I'm coming off of now. I think with work and everything else, having commissions pile up did me in. All of a sudden I was no longer enjoying painting at all and everything I painted I thought looked like crap.

Painting for Braap :wacko: I figured he was one of those who just had the velvet elvis or the dogs playing poker :lol:

Painting for Braap :wacko: I figured he was one of those who just had the velvet elvis or the dogs playing poker :lol:

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that's what Stella's painting. Velvet Elvis fish, and fish, crabs, and snails playing poker :lol:

I'm glad things went so well with the big demo - sounds like some great experience as well as positive exposure!

He needs one of those creepy little girl paintings that were in a bunch of the rooms at MACNA.....it will go well with his grandmothers chair he has next to his tank

Ummm, I'm pretty sure that's what Stella's painting. Velvet Elvis fish, and fish, crabs, and snails playing poker :lol:

I'm glad things went so well with the big demo - sounds like some great experience as well as positive exposure!

Thanks Teeny! I had more fun with it than I thought I was going to. I'm working on a large painting for a show at the beginning of next month. I hope I can get it done!

Thursday is reflection day :)

A chromis photobomb:

The left side:

Alveopora

And finally! I've kept a Duncan alive for more than 4 months!

Archived