Pod Your Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

:lol: my guy is pink purple and yellow. I think they change colors based on mood and to match their surroundings or other fish. You got a purple tang in that 40b??

Nope not that one just a Tomini and a Sailfin :o Tang Police..........................

I think he just needs a Mrs............ :lol: may turn yellow once he releases his stress :rolleyes:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope not that one just a Tomini and a Sailfin :o Tang Police..........................

I think he just needs a Mrs............ :lol: may turn yellow once he releases his stress :rolleyes:

:lol: oh gawd - spectra the fish matchmaker

Still haven't left. I spent the last hour and a half looking for he tripod for my travel easel. Next Friday I'm doing a painting demo for the cape cod art association so I kinda need it. I looked everywhere. Tore apart my art studio area, the attic, the basement - everywhere I could think. It's custom made for my easel so I can't just go by another. At this point the house is a disaster - stuff everywhere. I decided to stop looking and do a water change before we leave. Because I peocrastinated yesterday. Oh and about the same time Jeff is ready to shoot me since we were supposed to be on the road by noon. Whoops! I still need to shower too. Anyway go to start my water change and guess what is behind the brute in the fish closet? My ####ing tripod :lol:

Still haven't left. I spent the last hour and a half looking for he tripod for my travel easel. Next Friday I'm doing a painting demo for the cape cod art association so I kinda need it. I looked everywhere. Tore apart my art studio area, the attic, the basement - everywhere I could think. It's custom made for my easel so I can't just go by another. At this point the house is a disaster - stuff everywhere. I decided to stop looking and do a water change before we leave. Because I peocrastinated yesterday. Oh and about the same time Jeff is ready to shoot me since we were supposed to be on the road by noon. Whoops! I still need to shower too. Anyway go to start my water change and guess what is behind the brute in the fish closet? My ####### tripod :lol:

You must have some amazing quality...........otherwise, El Jeffe would kill you.

You must have some amazing quality...........otherwise, El Jeffe would kill you.

:lol: I don't get it myself, but who am I to question?

Well, I'm back from vacation! Tanks look good! No casualties that I've noticed. My macro tank is a disaster though - taken over by gha and ulva - to the point it needs a reset. Good news is the Mithrax polished off the bubble algae in this tank! I see one bubble. One! I still can't believe what a good job these crabs did.

Well, I'm back from vacation! Tanks look good! No casualties that I've noticed. My macro tank is a disaster though - taken over by gha and ulva - to the point it needs a reset. Good news is the Mithrax polished off the bubble algae in this tank! I see one bubble. One! I still can't believe what a good job these crabs did.

Good to hear the tanks survived.

you should sell them at a premium to local folks wit bubble algae issue! $50 each =P.

Welcome back! And, hey, if you ever need some tips on how to get gsp to grow, just let me know. I'm sorry you just can't seem to get the hang of it.

:lol:

Wait......you left?

you should sell them at a premium to local folks wit bubble algae issue! $50 each =P.

The super Mithrax! Ha! I was thinking I have to take the two massive ones out. I'm sure the bubbles will continue to regrow since the crabs pop and eat them. But I don't think I need six!

Wait......you left?

You missed me. It's ok to admit. It won't threaten your manliness.

Everything is looking so darn good Stella! Glad to hear the tank did well on vacation.

:wub: thanks Mark!! That means a lot!!

A full tank shot for today. The glass needs to be scraped pretty badly. My skimmer overflowed act some point and my sump was a mass of bubbles when I came back yesterday. And the smell - ugh. Horrible. But the corals looked happy!

Vwcrackerjack

I got the sca 50 g tank and set mine up about the same exact time as you setup yours. How the heck does your take have so much life and growth and mine looks dead? Corals don't even grow in mine they die or just stay the same size they have since I got them. My GSP which should be all over the place now won't even attach themselves to the rocks they're on.

post-89050-0-78857300-1476566221_thumb.jpg

I got the sca 50 g tank and set mine up about the same exact time as you setup yours. How the heck does your take have so much life and growth and mine looks dead? Corals don't even grow in mine they die or just stay the same size they have since I got them. My GSP which should be all over the place now won't even attach themselves to the rocks they're on.

I have quite a few fast-growing corals - I also feed a ton. GSP does better in a dirty tank.what are your parameters?

Wait......you left?

Everybody wants some, they just don't want it smart. ;)

Iodide and magnesium are the keys to healthy GSP, if either is low, you WILL NOT get it to grow.

Vwcrackerjack

I have to do some testing tomorrow Three months ago I started working out of town and haven't had any time to do anything to it. My wife was topping it off with spring water from bottles. We don't really have a place here to get RO water. I use distilled water in my old tank and it grew like crazy. Last week I hired a company to do maintenance for me and they said they will bring RO water for me and leave it here for top offs. However the 7 months prior to this my ph was good my ammonia was nil and everything seemed perfect except Magnesium and cal was a little low. I bumped up the mag and cal on doser until it was good and started seeing coralline growing on rocks etc. even my zoas died which I've never had happen in a tank. Fish are fine and I have 2 bta's that seem happy. Hopefully the maintenance and water changes will put it good shape. Just seems nuts that it's so devoid of growth after ally his time. And your tank is flourishing. One thing I've done different in this tank compared to my old tank Isi used to mix my own salt water. Now I use premixed from lfs

I have to do some testing tomorrow Three months ago I started working out of town and haven't had any time to do anything to it. My wife was topping it off with spring water from bottles. We don't really have a place here to get RO water. I use distilled water in my old tank and it grew like crazy. Last week I hired a company to do maintenance for me and they said they will bring RO water for me and leave it here for top offs. However the 7 months prior to this my ph was good my ammonia was nil and everything seemed perfect except Magnesium and cal was a little low. I bumped up the mag and cal on doser until it was good and started seeing coralline growing on rocks etc. even my zoas died which I've never had happen in a tank. Fish are fine and I have 2 bta's that seem happy. Hopefully the maintenance and water changes will put it good shape. Just seems nuts that it's so devoid of growth after ally his time. And your tank is flourishing. One thing I've done different in this tank compared to my old tank Isi used to mix my own salt water. Now I use premixed from lfs

I definitely wouldn't use spring water to top off. There's no telling what's in that water. Your best bet is using steam distilled water you can get in gallon jugs in the grocery. Do you test the water from the LFS? If the salinity isn't consistent, it could be causing ttrouble. How much do you feed? Zoas can be temperamental. I've had certain kinds melt away while others flourished right next to them. I test nitrates, phosphates, calcium, alk and magnesium weekly. I keep nitrates under 10. Calcium around 450, alk at 9, phosphates under .08 and mag around 1300. I dose two part and adjust only if the levels seem out of whack during a weekly test. I dose nopox daily as well since I feed a lot - a cube of frozen in the am with some algae flakes, and some filter feeder food. I then feed a cube of frozen in the evening with some algae flakes as well. I then will do a couple additional filter feeder feedings throughout the week and I also dose sponge power, sponge excel and aminos. I run a pretty oversized skimmer, have a fuge with various macro and also run carbon in a reactor.

Tanks looking awesome .

Can't believe you bought all that coral in 3 days

ha! Thanks. It was 2.5 days actually. Instareef!

Archived